Choosing between builds

Cyndre1033

So I put together the following build plan a while ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cynd/saved/#view=MbqrHx

but then I decided to see what I could get if I shifted my money around a little bit and came up with this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cynd/saved/#view=Nz26hM 

Now I am wondering which would be the better choice. I will mostly be playing games, mostly Overwatch. I know the 1070 is overkill for 1080p, even on a 144hz monitor which is what I will be playing on. 1070 can max out the game at 1080p and keep it over 144 fps, so I'm worried it might not be worth it if I could just turn my settings down to High with the 1060 and have nice frames there too. On the topic of CPU, I know having an overclock able CPU can give SLIGHT performance benefits in gaming, but I would really want to overclock my CPU for longevity, so it doesn't become obsolete as fast, and maybe for some more intensive computing as I move into doing more tech stuff for school. 

Basically, is longevity > higher performance in what I normally do? If I got the 7600k system, I know I could easily upgrade the 1060 to maybe an 1160 or something in the future, but if I have a 7500 and a 1070 and I want to upgrade my CPU that might be a more difficult task. 

What are y'alls' thoughts?

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

I'd get a 7500 and a 1060 now, and save the money in order to upgrade a little sooner further down the line. It sounds like you don't need either of the more expensive products for what you want to do now.

It's always better to spend within your means to hit good value, and upgrade fairly frequently than to overspend now and be stuck as your hardware becomes outdated fast. Gpus will become legacy items quickly, and cpus retain much of their value if you decide you do want to upgrade to an i7 or go for the latest platform.  

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

I'd say the second build. And as a matter of fact, you could stay with the z270 mobo and in the future, if you need more CPU horsepower, you could upgrade to a 7700k or 8700k and overclock it, since that mobo supports overclocking. I'd definitely say build 2.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

25 minutes ago, Cyndre1033 said:

So you already have a 1080p 144hz display? Is it G-sync?

AMD would probably be the way to go for longevity given the 480s DX12/Vulkan scaling vs the 1060, the XFX GTR being about the best RX 480 to buy

and an i7 is what you want for 144hz gaming in general

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s6y8XH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s6y8XH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.49 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($224.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1094.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-05 15:45 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Thanks for the help guys. A little confused, but definitely better off then where I was. Just a couple questions:

@Streetguru why does hyperthreading on an i7 help with 144hz gaming?

and @DocSwag would Intel's CPU line patterns indicate that Cannon Lake will take LGA 1151? 

Also I might wait a bit longer until a couple Zen chips are released to see if they shake up CPU prices any. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

2 minutes ago, Cyndre1033 said:

Thanks for the help guys. A little confused, but definitely better off then where I was. Just a couple questions:

and @DocSwag would Intel's CPU line patterns indicate that Cannon Lake will take LGA 1151? 

Also I might wait a bit longer until a couple Zen chips are released to see if they shake up CPU prices any. 

Most likely since cannonlake is not a new architecture but just a die shrink, cannonlake should be lga 1151 and if you wanted to upgrade to a cannonlake CPU in the future all you would need to do is a bios update.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, Cyndre1033 said:

Depending on what you already have you could just pick up a GPU as you wait for Ryzen, it should be a pretty big deal

I wouldn't really pay any attention to cannon lake from Kaby lake, probably just another 1% performance difference if anything

I edited my post a bit

i5 7600K review below with the i7 in some benchmarks, plus the i7 can help your minimum frame rates in general since it has more threads to work with, and the price difference isn't much, especially for your budget

games should finally be moving more towards using more than 4 threads where available

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2792-intel-i5-7600k-review-ft-2500k-3570k-more/page-3

i5-7600k-wd2-benchmark.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?