graphics problems with new pc!

Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,
6 hours ago, BeN00bly101 said:

@Brooksie359 @Cracklingice okay so upgraded to that windows 10, apparently I have got the full version now due to having already full version of 8.1. Anyways so I was never able to play gta with direct x 11 only 10 and at 30fps , last night I played at least 45mins of gta on direct x 11 and high settings at 60fps and never crashed or froze , there were like a few fps spikes and 1 millisecond flickers but only minimum. Minecraft also used to crash within 10mins on high and 60fps, last night had it on high, unlimited fps it was like at 120fps by itself and with shaders even as well. played that for about an hour and a half never crashed. The only problem I ran into was planet coaster very high settings had some problems and crashed and said something about wattman or something but other then that, what you guys think?

It sounds like you aren't getting the same issues as before so that sounds like a win in my book.

Hi, my name is Ben. last year around October I built a Skylake PC specs below:

Mobo: MSI B150M bazooka

Cpu: Intel i7 6700 (not K) with cryorig air cooler

Gpu MSI Rx 480 gaming x 8gb

Ram: 16gbs 2133ghz

Psu: thermaltake TR2 650w

1tb HDD and 120gb SSD

So basically i dont know where else to go or what else to do . Ever since i built it high end games like gta V and bo3 running at 60fps on high and direct x 11 freeze and blackscreen. i talked to people on tomshardware and we narrowed it down to psu . so i iust bought a new psu which is the thermaltake and still no fix . i just tested the ram with memtest86 and there were no errors . guys i dont know what else to do please help someone because i would love to actually use my pc to its full potential thanks! also sorry about the bad typing and or grammer ... i hate typing on phones lol 

The TR2 is probably as bad if not worse than whatever PSU you had before. Use this list as a guideline for buying PSUs: 

Not sure if Windows 8.1 likes your hardware, or not sure if that was just Kaby Lake with the issues. I'd suggest upgrading to Windows 10. Fresh install it + reinstall all your existing drivers.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @4.3Ghz All-Core with Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

RAM: Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz

GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2080 Super 8GB

PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Storage 1: Phison 500 GB NVME SSD

Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB NVME SSD

Case: Inwin 146 ATX Case

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition

Headset: Drop x Sennheiser PC38x

Monitor 1: LG 27GL850-B 1440p @144hz Nano-IPS Monitor

Monitor 2: Asus VG248Q 1080p @144hz Gaming Monitor

Monitor 3: Asus VG259Q 1080p @144hz IPS Gaming Monitor

1 minute ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Not sure if Windows 8.1 likes your hardware, or not sure if that was just Kaby Lake with the issues. I'd suggest upgrading to Windows 10. Fresh install it + reinstall all your existing drivers.

i thought it wasn't even possible to run windows 8 on kabylake 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

i thought it wasn't even possible to run windows 8 on kabylake 

It runs, but they won't fix any problems that may or may not be there.  Jay did a video installing it on a kaby system.  Had a couple blue screens but it did run and even ran some games/benchmarks.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

It runs, but they won't fix any problems that may or may not be there.  Jay did a video installing it on a kaby system.  Had a couple blue screens but it did run and even ran some games/benchmarks.

lol i just saw the blue screen in the picture for that video and just assumed it wouldn't run. 

4 hours ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Really? is it possible that sometimes OS doesn't like new hardware?. I honestly was thinking exactly the same thing because 8.1 is a little dodgy on this system, and I was thinking it could be good for a clean install of everything even new OS so I might try that when I get a bit more money. Also what is Kaby Lake? :P 

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

so your computer just freezes? no blue screen error report?

Nope either game freezes and it's fixable or it ceases the whole PC and have to reboot. No Error report which honestly is annoying because then we would know where to go from there lol

Also temps are just fine guys I forgot to mention that, both CPU and GPU stay at around 50 to 70 on high end gameplay (Was able to get those readings after GTA and COD working a few times and playing for at least an hour)

4 minutes ago, BeN00bly101 said:

Really? is it possible that sometimes OS doesn't like new hardware?. I honestly was thinking exactly the same thing because 8.1 is a little dodgy on this system, and I was thinking it could be good for a clean install of everything even new OS so I might try that when I get a bit more money. Also what is Kaby Lake? :P 

kaby lake is 7th generation intel chips. just like skylake is 6th generation intel chips. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

kaby lake is 7th generation intel chips. just like skylake is 6th generation intel chips. 

ooohh really? wow Skylake is out already? that was quick, my bad. So it's definitely possible that its the OS then. Man I really hope so... Anyway I will give that a go and I don't know how long it'll take but I'll let you guys know if it all worked out. I mean if you get a notification with this post and it doesn't get taken down or anything. Cheers for the replys! :)  

just write @ourusername to have us get notified. also that's weird that there is no error report. did a notification say anything about dx 11 not responding or anything of that sort?

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

just write @ourusername to have us get notified. also that's weird that there is no error report. did a notification say anything about dx 11 not responding or anything of that sort?

No, no error report :/, although for GTA V when it blackscreens it pops up with a message saying "Failed initialization please reboot and re install game". I have also verified the cache and all that but if the freezing is happening in every game including minecraft.... YES MINECRAFT, then I don't think the cache verification is the problem.

1 minute ago, BeN00bly101 said:

No, no error report :/, although for GTA V when it blackscreens it pops up with a message saying "Failed initialization please reboot and re install game". I have also verified the cache and all that but if the freezing is happening in every game including minecraft.... YES MINECRAFT, then I don't think the cache verification is the problem.

yeah that sound like a deep rooted problem. I guess you could try the os thing. maybe some of your drivers aren't super compatible with windows 8 

16 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

yeah that sound like a deep rooted problem. I guess you could try the os thing. maybe some of your drivers aren't super compatible with windows 8 

I really hope its that honestly because I don't know what else it could be...

Windows 10 can be installed without entering a CD key so you could pretty easily test to see if windows 10 works.  Me, I'm wondering if you got a defective GPU.  Even new parts have a defect rate.

25 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Windows 10 can be installed without entering a CD key so you could pretty easily test to see if windows 10 works.  Me, I'm wondering if you got a defective GPU.  Even new parts have a defect rate.

But I thought it wasn't free anymore? or do you mean pay for the USB thing

5 minutes ago, BeN00bly101 said:

But I thought it wasn't free anymore? or do you mean pay for the USB thing

he is talking about having an unlicensed version of windows 10. it will be limited because it isnt a full licensed version but it could be used to test if it is indeed the os that is the problem 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

he is talking about having an unlicensed version of windows 10. it will be limited because it isnt a full licensed version but it could be used to test if it is indeed the os that is the problem 

so what you are saying is, it'll work the same as if I had went out and bought win 10? like a fresh install of everything? also whats limited about it?

Yeah you get a little thing on the bottom right of the desktop that says please activate or something like that, but the os is fully functional for hardware testing purposes.

8 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Yeah you get a little thing on the bottom right of the desktop that says please activate or something like that, but the os is fully functional for hardware testing purposes.

hmm I don't have it, is it possible to get it off microsoft website and install it via usb?

12 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

I've heard you need a key to download, but also see some sites saying you don't.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Alright I'll try this tomorrow after work. It's 10:00pm here in Australia, I don't know where you guys are but yeah haha anyways I'll let you know if it goes well thanks for the support guys.