Constant frame drops in games

Hey forum,

I have been experiencing an issue in many of my games, most recently in Payday 2, where I get constant frame drops.It will run completely smooth at 60fps, then drop to around 20, then spring back to 60. My CPUs clock speed is stable and runs around 45 degrees. The GPU also is not throttling. What could be causing an issue like this? Specs are listed below.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

It is across all games correct? Not just one specific?

Most likely drivers I would say. Make sure they are up to date. 

It's most likely background stuff that windows or programs you installed are doing. You can solve this by going into the task manager and ending all of the task that you don't need running.

2 minutes ago, monjanger said:

It is across all games correct? Not just one specific?

Most likely drivers I would say. Make sure they are up to date. 

It happens in games like Tales from the Borderlands, which in no way should be intensive for a 980ti, and in games like payday 2 and doom.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

the amount of vram you have or the amount of ram you have can be causing the issue because when ether one of those two run out the gou or the cou starts pulling information straight from the hdd or ssd that  the game is stoed on which can cause frame drops and studdering

1 minute ago, happy57110 said:

the amount of vram you have or the amount of ram you have can be causing the issue because when ether one of those two run out the gou or the cou starts pulling information straight from the hdd or ssd that  the game is stoed on which can cause frame drops and studdering

I have 16Gb of ram and a 6Gb 980ti, so that shouldn't be the problem...