Making a new window

vagabond139

I want to make a full, not partial, glass window for my Define S and I am wondering what material should I use to make it with. I could do Glass but that will cost at least around $100 just for it. I am wondering if they is anything scratch resistant plastic that I could use instead. 

Also I am wondering how I should mount it. I am thinking 4 screws into the corner of the case like a lot of tempered glass cases do. I would put some sort of padding around the case to protect the window.

1 hour ago, vagabond139 said:

I want to make a full, not partial, glass window for my Define S and I am wondering what material should I use to make it with. I could do Glass but that will cost at least around $100 just for it. I am wondering if they is anything scratch resistant plastic that I could use instead. 

Also I am wondering how I should mount it. I am thinking 4 screws into the corner of the case like a lot of tempered glass cases do. I would put some sort of padding around the case to protect the window.

Any polymer or plastic won't be as resilient to scratches as glass since it's just not has hard as a material but if you wanted to acrylic would be your next best option. For mounting you would need to design some bolt points but very possible to do with some knurled thumb screws. 

7 hours ago, W-L said:

Any polymer or plastic won't be as resilient to scratches as glass since it's just not has hard as a material but if you wanted to acrylic would be your next best option. For mounting you would need to design some bolt points but very possible to do with some knurled thumb screws. 

I decide that I'm going to go with glass since it doesn't seem that hard to cut or drill into.

Would glass like this work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/24-in-x-36-in-x-0-125-in-Clear-Glass-92436/300068389

1 hour ago, vagabond139 said:

I decide that I'm going to go with glass since it doesn't seem that hard to cut or drill into.

That is regular soda lime plate glass, remember it's not tempered so you can cut and drill it, but if it shatters and breaks in your hand it can potentially lead to serve cuts.

16 hours ago, vagabond139 said:

If you are gonna use this (or any glass for that matter) PLEASE wear proper protective gear... prefferably thick safety gloves and also glasses and a long sleaved sweater or jacket. Like W-L said if it shatter than you dont want to hurt yourself which you otherwise will!

Can you not sent it out to have it cut for you? idk what that would cost you but it wold probably look cleaner and you cant cut yourself. But i get you want to DIY :)

17 hours ago, W-L said:
53 minutes ago, MadOlive said:

If you are gonna use this (or any glass for that matter) PLEASE wear proper protective gear... prefferably thick safety gloves and also glasses and a long sleaved sweater or jacket. Like W-L said if it shatter than you dont want to hurt yourself which you otherwise will!

Can you not sent it out to have it cut for you? idk what that would cost you but it wold probably look cleaner and you cant cut yourself. But i get you want to DIY :)

I will definitely use safety gear, already thought of that. I could do that but I really want to keep the cost down as low as possible and buying two sheets of glass would probably be cheaper than paying someone to do it. Plus I'm a big DIYer