Overwriting Secureboot

Squish4058
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
25 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

well fix the broken windows install, I suggested I reinstall windows, so I am. I just cant get into bios.

I could just boot the usb and overwrite it. 

Internet says f2 for bios and im having no luck, mashed that f2 faster than I do in gaming and even tried holding it

Simple. Fail boot Windows 3 times in a row, and Windows recovery will kick-in, it won't detect that something went wrong after its scan, but you'll get to a screen with 2 button. Click on "Advanced options", then a new screen will show, click on Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware settings.

(going by memory)

So I have a laptop here Acer  Aspire E1-572

It came with windows 8

Has secureboot and fastboot on, hence I cannot get into the bios (tried all the fuckin keys)

It does however have a boot menu if I mash Escape

This lets me boot ubuntu from usb

Im wondering If I just go ahead and boot a usb windows installer and overwrite the entire windows partition, will secureboot let me boot this new windows. Or will it have a fit saying the certificate is now void?

This isn't a problem with secure boot more so that POST is too fast for your keyboard to initialize or you're not hitting the right key (it's usually Del or F2)

Otherwise you can do it from Windows 8/8.1 by going to your Charms (Windows + C), then go to Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Restart Now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware settings

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This isn't a problem with secure boot more so that POST is too fast for your keyboard to initialize or you're not hitting the right key (it's usually Del or F2)

Otherwise you can do it from Windows 8/8.1 by going to your Charms (Windows + C), then go to Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Restart Now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware settings

So that second point could work, except its got a password on it, and well they wanted it done whilst they are on holiday, so for now im passwordless
hmm I always thought if it doesnt say "press f2 for setup" then it doesnt let you into setup

But I will try mashing keys faster

1 minute ago, kris2340k said:

So that second point could work, except its got a password on it, and well they wanted it done whilst they are on holiday, so for now im passwordless
hmm I always thought if it doesnt say "press f2 for setup" then it doesnt let you into setup

So someone gave you a laptop to do something with, but they forgot to give you the password to an account you can use to do what you need to do?

Since they think you're some kind of genie, can you get me Half Life 3?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So someone gave you a laptop to do something with, but they forgot to give you the password to an account you can use to do what you need to do?

Since they think you're some kind of genie, can you get me Half Life 3?

Lol I could ask, but its the email password (becase non local accounts) so I would end up having to wait until I next see them

well fix the broken windows install, I suggested I reinstall windows, so I am. I just cant get into bios.

Internet says f2 for bios and im having no luck, mashed that f2 faster than I do in gaming and even tried holding it

25 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Simple. Fail boot Windows 3 times in a row, and Windows recovery will kick-in, it won't detect that something went wrong after its scan, but you'll get to a screen with 2 button. Click on "Advanced options", then a new screen will show, click on Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware settings.

(going by memory)

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

(going by memory)

Well that was damn effective xD

Didnt even do it three times, just waited for the spinning dots on the boot screen and held the power button, next screen was 2buttons. Thank YOU SIR !!