i7 7700K automatically going up to 1.382v

I'm with an intel i7 7700k on an asus z170 pro gaming. The problem is that the 7700k is not overclocked and, still, its pushing up to 1.38V to my cpu. When I set the vcore to manual on 1.10v or 1.20v it stays around that voltage, but when it's in auto these voltage "spikes" happen.

I do not like to keep the voltage constant at 1.1v or 1.2v when its in idle, so the only alternatives (in my mind, as I'm still a beginner at oc and don't know much about the subject) are offset and adaptative mode. Adaptative seems to be the best as it only offsets when turbo kicks in, but I have no clue on how to set it up.

Is there any way to limit the voltage to 1.2 or less and still get the benefits of it automatically lowering the voltate when in idle or at low load (and still having the turbo boost)? Did I configure anything wrong (bios or software)?

I'm using ai suite 3 to measure voltage, temps and frequency.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I do not pretend to overclock it right now because this computer will only be used for web browsing and light gaming for the next 2 months. Only after that, I'll need it's true horse power as it will be used for work.

It's an issue going on with a bunch of boards and Kaby Lake right now.

No big deal.  Determine with the minimum required voltage is for your particular chip at the max clock speed that you want to run.  Stress test it with whatever tests you need to confirm that it's stable enough for your needs.

Once that's done, switch from manual voltage to adaptive voltage and input the minimum required voltage from your previous testing in the the additional Turbo voltage field and leave offset to auto.  Reboot and confirm that max voltages are around or just above what your manual voltage was.  Keep in mind that depending on the LLC that your running, that voltage may peak a bit higher than what you set for adaptive, but the average Vcore during load situations should be roughly the same as your commanded voltage. 

Make sure all Speed Step, Speed Shift, C-states and Windows power savings modes are enabled to allow the CPU clockspeed and voltage ramp up and down as needed base on CPU load.

adaptive is fine, but i've found that when LLC is set to auto, it punishes the CPU when it wants voltage. setting it to 5 or 6 has given me great results when manually setting voltage. I have not used adaptive yet as I just got the system stable like, last week.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

11 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

adaptive is fine, but i've found that when LLC is set to auto, it punishes the CPU when it wants voltage. setting it to 5 or 6 has given me great results when manually setting voltage. I have not used adaptive yet as I just got the system stable like, last week.

If you have an issue with Adaptive mode "punishing" your CPU, it's either a case of incorrectly set LLC or your were a bit too ambitious with your initial commanded voltage.  When correctly set, Adaptive may peak a bit higher in unloaded conditions as non-turbo voltage is still tied to the CPU VID.  Adaptive mode only actually impacts turbo conditions.

It also happens to be the voltage method preferred by the guys handling all of the overclocking for Asus.

27 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

If you have an issue with Adaptive mode "punishing" your CPU, it's either a case of incorrectly set LLC or your were a bit too ambitious with your initial commanded voltage.  When correctly set, Adaptive may peak a bit higher in unloaded conditions as non-turbo voltage is still tied to the CPU VID.  Adaptive mode only actually impacts turbo conditions.

It also happens to be the voltage method preferred by the guys handling all of the overclocking for Asus.

no no, auto LLC punishes the CPU, not auto adaptive. I have zero experience with adaptive voltage control.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

no no, auto LLC punishes the CPU, not auto adaptive. I have zero experience with adaptive voltage control.

We're tracking now.  :D

Still having that problem with adaptative voltage, but in a lower scale... Adaptative voltage is set with "additional turbo" at 1.15v and offset to Auto, tried with lcc at 6, 7  and Auto but same results. Peaking at 1.28v (which is way better than before, but still not what I want). C-states and speedStep are on, but I did not find SpeedShift nor Windows power savings mode.