TV for Gaming

Jonadong
1 minute ago, Jonadong said:

How good is a TV for PC gaming?

There is usually more input lag when you game on tvs but it depends on which tv.

its fine - just be prepared for increased input lag compared to a regular monitor

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, Unexas. said:

There is usually more input lag when you game on tvs but it depends on which tv.

which one would you recommend? 

Typically TV's have extra features that increase visual "Fidelity" but also increase latency. They don't have high refresh rates. They also have tuners.

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, Jonadong said:

which one would you recommend? 

Whats your budget? What size?Does it have to be a TV or will a computer monitor work?

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Whats your budget? What size?Does it have to be a TV or will a computer monitor work?

I do not know that much about displays. What is good for 500$ or less?

4 minutes ago, Jonadong said:

How good is a TV for PC gaming?

Been using 2 different LG TV's during the past 10 years and I've never noticed any differences between that and a monitor. 

3 minutes ago, Jonadong said:

1. I need to know how big it should be. How far away are you going to be away from the display

2. What are the specs of your PC so i'll know what it can run

it's not so much that TVs are inherently bad for gaming, its just that finding a TV not overtaken by bullshit features is rather difficult.

i generally recommend this checklist:

- walk into a store that has lots of TVs on display, every tv that is on displays goes on your "potential buy" list

- scratch off the ones that are out of budget

- scratch off the ones that arent displaying the exact same video loop as all the other ones are

- scratch off the ones that claim stupid refresh rates, there's no TVs that actually push more than 60hz.

- scratch off the ones with stupid features like "smart" (expensive smart TVs are good, cheap smart TVs are painful.)

- scratch off the ones that have "eco" as their main feature (these are usually the terrible input lag ones)

- sctratch off the ones with suilly features like overcomplicated remotes that only make things difficult for the sake of being different.

- scratch off the ones that are curved. sorry curved monitor folks, but curved TVs are not where it's at.

- scratch off the ones that have delay on the video signal (see where i come from with the ones that arent displaying the same video, this is why ;))

if by now you still have more than one option left, it comes down to aesthetics, if you have none left, get a normal PC monitor instead.

5 minutes ago, Jonadong said:

for 500$ you can get a 1440p dell ultrasharp that'll make you do this:

maxresdefault.jpg

and still have money to spare.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

- scratch off the ones that claim stupid refresh rates, there's no TVs that actually push more than 60hz.

there aren't many TVs that don't do this. Since they only usually the same 60hz, he might as well keep them on the list.

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

there aren't many TVs that don't do this. Since they only usually the same 60hz, he might as well keep them on the list.

to me the Hz thing is a "bullshit detector" because while indeed the majority of them do this, those always end up implementing other BS as well.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

to me the Hz thing is a "bullshit detector" because while indeed the majority of them do this, those always end up implementing other BS as well.

true, I'm just scared that OP will cross out a good LG or something because of that. There are actually a quite a few TVs that have a true refresh rate ove 60hz. but I doubt he will see one under 500

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion