Can Ping affect In-game FPS?

La_Basura
5 hours ago, La_Basura said:

nah, nothing changes

Try turning off Windows Index and Windows Defender.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

16 minutes ago, FRN said:

Try turning off Windows Index and Windows Defender.

How exactly do I do that?

5 minutes ago, La_Basura said:

How exactly do I do that?

What OS are you using?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, FRN said:

What OS are you using?

I have windows 10 64 bit, the thing is it's not activated apparently. There's this little text box on the bottom left that says "Activate Windows: Go to Settings to activate Windows"

39 minutes ago, Blake said:

You have a 1060, unless you need to install the drivers (or some other basic task that was overlooked), you should have a fine fps @ 720p and ultra settings.

Ping will cause lag though, lag does not equal fps. what you are probably seeing is lag spikes, where things rubber banding over the place/jitter etc.

As a general rule of thumb ping will not affect fps, unless the developer sucks and holds the draw call till the server responds...

Nah, it shouldn't be an issue... rubberbanding isn't happening. Mainly, it's unsteady framerate that's an issue for me. I know my graphics card can handle the game at a constant 60 fps w/ explosions and destruction happening, but yet it kicks its ass by dropping down to 30 fps. Especially, the fact that I'm playing it on a 720p monitor...

1 minute ago, La_Basura said:

I have windows 10 64 bit, the thing is it's not activated apparently. There's this little text box on the bottom left that says "Activate Windows: Go to Settings to activate Windows"

You'd want to activate that sooner or later. But I digress, to turn off Windows Indexing and Defender, search these two in the start menu. They should pop up in the start menu if you type it there.

8 minutes ago, FRN said:

You'd want to activate that sooner or later. But I digress, to turn off Windows Indexing and Defender, search these two in the start menu. They should pop up in the start menu if you type it there.

nope, it didn't affect gameplay either.

nope, it didn't affect gameplay either.

Check for other processes running in the background.

12 minutes ago, FRN said:

Check for other processes running in the background.

I heard that origin or Nvidia can actually affect gameplay because it steals sources from the CPU

5 minutes ago, La_Basura said:

I heard that origin or Nvidia can actually affect gameplay because it steals sources from the CPU

Dont know where you heard that. I think this would have something to do with your monitor considering its a 720p monitor and you're using it for a rig that has a 6700/k and a gtx 1060. This rig can easily run 1440p. Yeah I think this is because your monitor cannot display all the graphics that your rig can output.

2 minutes ago, FRN said:

Dont know where you heard that. I think this would have something to do with your monitor considering its a 720p monitor and you're using it for a rig that has a 6700/k and a gtx 1060. This rig can easily run 1440p.

Yeah, honestly, it's not even a monitor but an old tv... lol

Yeah, honestly, it's not even a monitor but an old tv... lol

There you have it. TVs are good for browsing and watching in the internet. But gaming? Dont even think about it. 

2 minutes ago, FRN said:

There you have it. TVs are good for browsing and watching in the internet. But gaming? Dont even think about it. 

Ah, I knew it was the TV and not anything else. Alright, I'll probably start shopping for a new monitor in the market. Got any suggestions for a monitor? Specifically one that's 1080p 100+Hz and around the 100-250 price range?

Ah, I knew it was the TV and not anything else. Alright, I'll probably start shopping for a new monitor in the market. Got any suggestions for a monitor? Specifically one that's 1080p 100+Hz and around the 100-250 price range?

I have a BenQ XL2411 and its serving me well for my 6600k and GTX 1070. Although I'm planning to buy a 1440p monitor maybe next year.

4 minutes ago, FRN said:

I have a BenQ XL2411 and its serving me well for my 6600k and GTX 1070. Although I'm planning to buy a 1440p monitor maybe next year.

Yeah, that sounds perfect for what I'm willing to buy. Maybe, when I get my next paycheck or so. Just one last question and I'll get out of your hair, but what exactly is g-sync or free sync?

9 minutes ago, La_Basura said:

Yeah, that sounds perfect for what I'm willing to buy. Maybe, when I get my next paycheck or so. Just one last question and I'll get out of your hair, but what exactly is g-sync or free sync?

GSync is a proprietary technology to NVIDIA and is a separate chip. So if you buy an expensive gsync monitor, you're forced to either buy an nvidia GPU again when you upgrade or lose that expensive gsync functionality.

Freesync on the otherhand is the brand name for an adaptive synchronization technology for LCD displays that support dynamic refresh rate targeted at reducing screen tearing. This was initially developed by AMD as a response to NVIDIA's Gsync technology however, freesync is free to use and has no performance penalty.

TL;DR: If you buy an AMD GPU, its a good investment to buy a freesync monitor as well as the two works well with each other and cheaper than the competitor's. But for NVIDIA, you dont need to buy a GSync monitor unless you are a son of the richest man in the world lol.

20 minutes ago, La_Basura said:

Yeah the issues you were having are related to the TV. The refresh rate of the TV is probably really poor compared to a decent monitor. 

If you are shopping for monitors there are a few things you should be looking at.

1) Resolution:

How many pixels there are. 720p is 'HD'. 1080p is 'full HD'. Then, there is 1440p '2k' and 2160p '4k' 1,920 x 1,200 pixels is 1080p. Look for these format (2560 x 1440 = 1440p) There is also 1080p widescreen or 16:9 aspect ratio. 21:9 aspect ratio is the normal aspect ratio. 

I would look for a 1,920 x 1,200 or even a 2560 x 1440 monitor if you are okay with having to turn down settings sometimes.

2) Refresh rate:

This is measures in Hz, hertz. 60Hz means every 1 second your monitor can show a different picture 60 times. 60 fps and 60Hz is pretty much the exact same thing, only one is limited by your GPU and the other is limited by you monitor.

G sync and V sync are for when your graphics card is going to produce more fps than what your monitor can handle. Basically, it just smooths out what your fps your GPU is sending and what refresh rate your monitor can handle. G sync is for Nvidea graphics cards(what you have) and V sync is fro AMD graphics card, its just a brand thing.

Basically, I wouldn't be interested in g sync if I were you, unless you are playing really old, undemanding games. It's not necessary, you're betting off getting a 144Hz monitor. 

3) IPS vs TN panels. This is something people feel strongly about. A TN panel cant produce as many colors as an IPS panel. The arguments against TN panels are that the colorization isn't as good and the viewing angles can be poor, but it is a lot cheaper and the response time is a lot better(have you ever looked a screen from a sharp angle and the whole screen is just black?) Response time is only significant if you are a very competitive gamer, and even then 3-5ms response time really isn't that big of deal/noticeable.

IPS is nice, but a lot more expensive and some IPS panels have very poor response times.

4) Size. This should really be the first thing, but how big of screen do you want? 27 inches huge for me, but some people like even bigger than that. Also, there are widescreens and curved monitors out there too. Don't forget the dual or triple monitor set ups either.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

2 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

Yeah the issues you were having are related to the TV. The refresh rate of the TV is probably really poor compared to a decent monitor. 

If you are shopping for monitors there are a few things you should be looking at.

1) Resolution:

How many pixels there are. 720p is 'HD'. 1080p is 'full HD'. Then, there is 1440p '2k' and 2160p '4k' 1,920 x 1,200 pixels is 1080p. Look for these format (2560 x 1440 = 1440p) There is also 1080p widescreen or 16:9 aspect ratio. 21:9 aspect ratio is the normal aspect ratio. 

I would look for a 1,920 x 1,200 or even a 2560 x 1440 monitor if you are okay with having to turn down settings sometimes.

2) Refresh rate:

This is measures in Hz, hertz. 60Hz means every 1 second your monitor can show a different picture 60 times. 60 fps and 60Hz is pretty much the exact same thing, only one is limited by your GPU and the other is limited by you monitor.

G sync and V sync are for when your graphics card is going to produce more fps than what your monitor can handle. Basically, it just smooths out what your fps your GPU is sending and what refresh rate your monitor can handle. G sync is for Nvidea graphics cards(what you have) and V sync is fro AMD graphics card, its just a brand thing.

Basically, I wouldn't be interested in g sync if I were you, unless you are playing really old, undemanding games. It's not necessary, you're betting off getting a 144Hz monitor. 

3) IPS vs TN panels. This is something people feel strongly about. A TN panel cant produce as many colors as an IPS panel. The arguments against TN panels are that the colorization isn't as good and the viewing angles can be poor, but it is a lot cheaper and the response time is a lot better(have you ever looked a screen from a sharp angle and the whole screen is just black?) Response time is only significant if you are a very competitive gamer, and even then 3-5ms response time really isn't that big of deal/noticeable.

IPS is nice, but a lot more expensive and some IPS panels have very poor response times.

4) Size. This should really be the first thing, but how big of screen do you want? 27 inches huge for me, but some people like even bigger than that. Also, there are widescreens and curved monitors out there too. Don't forget the dual or triple monitor set ups either.

Holy crap, I already love these forums by how informative and fast the responses are for my issues and questions. But, I'll probably stick with 1080p or 1440p monitors at 100+ Hz. But, I am pretty competitive especially with Overwatch and CSGO, definitely TN panel. And I'll most likely go for a 24" or 27" but probably just 24" since I don't even have that much desk space tbh.