Arduino Challenge

skimmilk5

Challenge for you coding junkies out there! Prize is the feeling of glory.

I have an Arduino UNO R3. I want to use it as a "keyboard" of sorts (macro keyboard to be exact) for keys and keystrokes that I use the most frequently. Ability to carry out multiple keystrokes with one button press is appreciated, not required. Bonus points if you can add more buttons than headers by using a breadboard.

If you use somebody else's code, please use it with permission, even if it's open source. Be honest!

Create either unique code, DFU code, or clear instructions, all along with a board schematic, including a breadboard, if used.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

14 hours ago, kimsejin5 said:

Challenge for you coding junkies out there! Prize is the feeling of glory.

I have an Arduino UNO R3. I want to use it as a "keyboard" of sorts (macro keyboard to be exact) for keys and keystrokes that I use the most frequently. Ability to carry out multiple keystrokes with one button press is appreciated, not required. Bonus points if you can add more buttons than headers by using a breadboard.

If you use somebody else's code, please use it with permission, even if it's open source. Be honest!

Create either unique code, DFU code, or clear instructions, all along with a board schematic, including a breadboard, if used.

While you could do this easily with an Arduino Leonardo, it can be done with an UNO R3. I have done it with the help of these sites:
http://bit.ly/2kHnGfg
http://bit.ly/2jKRPXd
I would check those guides out and if you need more help, search google, it is your friend.
Taylor Dettling

<Rant>

There are literally thousands of tutorials about using an arduino as a HID, not only as a keyboard. This is more like a fun little 1 hour project rather than a challenge.

</Rant>

You wont be able to use an arduino uno as a HID without some mods, for it uses an ATmega328p without a hardware USB interface. For that you need an ATmega which ends with a "-u" like the ones in the Leonardo or micro. The R3 has an ATmega8u as a serial converter, so it can be done just like @Taylor Dettling points out. Just make sure its a genuine R3, most of the cheaper Chinese ones use a CP2102 instead.

Cheers!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

On 1/30/2017 at 0:45 PM, dany_boy said:

<Rant>

There are literally thousands of tutorials about using an arduino as a HID, not only as a keyboard. This is more like a fun little 1 hour project rather than a challenge.

</Rant>

You wont be able to use an arduino uno as a HID without some mods, for it uses an ATmega328p without a hardware USB interface. For that you need an ATmega which ends with a "-u" like the ones in the Leonardo or micro. The R3 has an ATmega8u as a serial converter, so it can be done just like @Taylor Dettling points out. Just make sure its a genuine R3, most of the cheaper Chinese ones use a CP2102 instead.

Cheers!

Thank you for your comment. I'm completely new to the Arduino world (and software coding for that matter), so it's not quite a one hour project for me :|.

On 1/29/2017 at 11:32 AM, Taylor Dettling said:

While you could do this easily with an Arduino Leonardo, it can be done with an UNO R3. I have done it with the help of these sites:
http://bit.ly/2kHnGfg
http://bit.ly/2jKRPXd
I would check those guides out and if you need more help, search google, it is your friend.
Taylor Dettling

Thanks for your reply! I am completely new to the Arduino world, so most of the "basic" terminology is confusing to me. I did come across those articles, but I'm not sure how to interpret them or how to start.