Compatible M.2 SSD

W_pn
Go to solution Solved by PCGuy_5960,
2 minutes ago, W_pn said:

Ahh I see. Only reason why I picked that one was that I saw a video and an article about someone upgrading the same laptop with a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB SATA III SSD so I figured that since the Crucial MX300 was the same form factor(M.2 2280), and interface (M.2 (B+M)) as the samsung evo in the video that I would be able to use it. 

Sorry if I don't completely understand but why is it not compatible?

Here the video I was talking about where they use the samsung evo.

Hmm, if the 850 EVO works, then the MX300 should work as well... 

Ok so I have a Dell Inspiron 15-7559 and I wanted to add an additional M.2 ssd.

I want to know if this ssd is compatible with my laptop. I have already checked but I just want someone to confirm that it will work. Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD4

Also If it is compatible I want to get your feedback on whether this is a good SSD for the price or not. I'm trying to go for something very cheap but still fast.

The SSD choice is great, but I am not sure that it will work. I am fairly certain that it will, but I can't be 100% sure..

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Take a look at this thread... It appears that it only supports SATA M.2 drives, so NVMe isn't supported...

Just found that... xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Take a look at this thread... It appears that it only supports SATA M.2 drives, so NVMe isn't supported...

Just found that... xD

Ahh I see. Only reason why I picked that one was that I saw a video and an article about someone upgrading the same laptop with a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB SATA III SSD so I figured that since the Crucial MX300 was the same form factor(M.2 2280), and interface (M.2 (B+M)) as the samsung evo in the video that I would be able to use it. 

2 minutes ago, W_pn said:

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Ok good. I just wanted to make sure it was compatible is all.

1 minute ago, W_pn said:

If it doesn't work you can always return it. I see no reason why it shouldn't work though, since both the 850 EVO and the MX300 use the NVMe protocol... 

8 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If it doesn't work you can always return it. I see no reason why it shouldn't work though, since both the 850 EVO and the MX300 use the NVMe protocol... 

850 evo is not nvme, it's still sata

2 hours ago, Josephdalepi said:

850 evo is not nvme, it's still sata

Oh, only the 960 is?

@W_pn DON'T GET THE MX300, IT WILL NOT WORK. If you have already ordered It, make sure to cancel your order...

On 1/29/2017 at 2:14 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Oh, only the 960 is?

@W_pn DON'T GET THE MX300, IT WILL NOT WORK. If you have already ordered It, make sure to cancel your order...

The 950 and 951 are too, but not the 850

On 1/28/2017 at 2:58 PM, W_pn said:

It is not compatible. 850 evo is sata, MX300 is nvme

It's a bit confusing but I will try to offer some info.

AHCI and NVMe are "protocols" or method of sending data.

SATA and M.2 are more or less the socket or connection type.

SATA can also refer to the storage interface connected to the platform controller hub.  PCIe is also a storage or peripheral interface that can connect to the PCH or to the CPU directly.  Usually the graphics cards will be in pcie slots that connect directly to the CPU, while "vanilla" pcie slots like network cards, sound cards connect directly to the PCH.

AHCI are both supported via the PCIe interface either to the PCH or the CPU.

NVMe is ONLY SUPPORTED for PCIe interfaces that connect directly to the CPU!!!  This function may be limited to X99 motherboards.  I don't know if the 270 boards support this.  (Probably does)

ONLY AHCI is supported on the SATA interface.  NVMe is NOT!!!