GPU crashing under load

Gidoguy

Recently I've been having major issues with gaming on my desktop, I have a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3X Windforce. Whenever I put my GPU under load from games like Dirt 3, GTA V and Skyrim, It works for about 30 seconds, then the display starts to flicker loads of jumbled up stuff from what was being displayed, then the screen is filled with a random colour. Consequently, my PC crashes and restarts. I've tried

• Completely cleaning my GPU and system using compressed air
  • Improving airflow by removing a hard drive cage
  • Stripping and clean installing drivers
  • Swapping my GPU over to my other Pci-e slot

The weird thing is that I benchmark using Heaven benchmark whilst monitoring temps, nothing in my system gets noticeably hot. My GPU isn't showing anywhere near high enough temperatures that would warrant crashing due to overheating. I run my fans up to max whilst playing under load and it still crashes.

Has anyone else had the same issue and/or knows how to fix it?

Many thanks

Δ Ambassador for the Illuminati Δ

Δ "Illuminati confirmed" - Nobody  Δ 

3 minutes ago, Gidoguy said:

Recently I've been having major issues with gaming on my desktop, I have a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3X Windforce. Whenever I put my GPU under load from games like Dirt 3, GTA V and Skyrim, It works for about 30 seconds, then the display starts to flicker loads of jumbled up stuff from what was being displayed, then the screen is filled with a random colour. Consequently, my PC crashes and restarts. I've tried

• Completely cleaning my GPU and system using compressed air
  • Improving airflow by removing a hard drive cage
  • Stripping and clean installing drivers
  • Swapping my GPU over to my other Pci-e slot

The weird thing is that I benchmark using Heaven benchmark whilst monitoring temps, nothing in my system gets noticeably hot. My GPU isn't showing anywhere near high enough temperatures that would warrant crashing due to overheating. I run my fans up to max whilst playing under load and it still crashes.

Has anyone else had the same issue and/or knows how to fix it?

Many thanks

Heaven stresses GPU core, not memory. Meaning that memory OCs aren't tested. GPU memory chips besides main chip are dead maybe?

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Heaven stresses GPU core, not memory. Meaning that memory OCs aren't tested. GPU memory chips besides main chip are dead maybe?

I don't overclock my GPU. Plus the card works fine when playing games like GMOD and TF2, just not games that put it under load

1 minute ago, Gidoguy said:

I don't overclock my GPU. Plus the card works fine when playing games like GMOD and TF2, just not games that put it under load

Source uses literally no VRAM. CSGO maxed out at 1080p uses like 800MB VRAM, meaning that maybe one chip of your array of memory chips on the GPU is faulty and causing crashes.

idk

Sounds like a power problem possibly

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

did this just start happening with no hardware changes?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

4 minutes ago, mmaatt747 said:

did this just start happening with no hardware changes?

Yeah, it was working fine with my psu before