Please stop me if I'm wrong

Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning on building my new computer (mostly with used/refurbished hardware)

I was initially going for an "on the budget" build (around 500€ = 530 USD)  but then I changed my mind and I am now willing to spend around 1k€ including a custom watercooling loop.

One thing which you might find stupid is that I'm willing not to have the same build "everyone has" (like Z170, 6700K etc).

So as for now, I'm going this way :

Core i7 3930K used (140€)

X79 Sabertooth used(190€)

16 GB DDR3 RAM G.Skill Ares 1600MHz used(49€)

In Win 707 refurbished (51€)

XFX RX 480 Triple X RS 8 GB new(220€)

LEPA MaxGold 1000W 80+Gold PSU refurbished (92€)

+270€ for a custom watercooling loop (yeah I know that's not really "on the budget" 9_9 )

Total budget : 1024€

Do you think this is a consistent build for gaming? I'm willing to replace the RX 480 whenever it will become obsolete. I'm not absolutely willing to be playing in ultra on all games but High/very high would be appreciated.

Also, if you see anything in this build which you think is incompatible with another part of the build, please please please tell me! :)

Thank you in advance!

Oscar

PS: I already have a 1080p 60Hz monitor and all other needed peripherals

Using older hardware is fine, given that the hardware you're looking at here isn't THAT old. The CPU is still very powerful, however it will be less suitable for games than a new quad core. That said, you really shouldn't have problems with this hardware. When upgrading to a 1080Ti (maybe?) in the future, for example, you would notice that the 3930k is holding performance back, depending on resolution/framrates. Should still be playable tho, I really wouldn't worry about that.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

if its for gaming, try an i5-6600k of i5 7600k build if its just for gaming i'm unsure on european pricing but if the relations between the hardware gens are the same as in the us i think you would get an overall better build, maybe ryzen could do better after launch for simmilar pricing but i'm unsure about german pricing.

Nothing to see here, move along

3 minutes ago, steffen_anywhere said:

Using older hardware is fine, given that the hardware you're looking at here isn't THAT old. The CPU is still very powerful, however it will be less suitable for games than a new quad core. That said, you really shouldn't have problems with this hardware. When upgrading to a 1080Ti (maybe?) in the future, for example, you would notice that the 3930k is holding performance back, depending on resolution/framrates. Should still be playable tho, I really wouldn't worry about that.

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm glad nothing seems incompatible in this build. While I do understand the 3930K might become a bit short if used with this 1080Ti kind of GPU, I am nowhere close from having the kind of budget required to buy that sort of hardware ^_^

3 minutes ago, Riddler356 said:

if its for gaming, try an i5-6600k of i5 7600k build if its just for gaming i'm unsure on european pricing but if the relations between the hardware gens are the same as in the us i think you would get an overall better build, maybe ryzen could do better after launch for simmilar pricing but i'm unsure about german pricing.

Hello Riddler and thanks for your reply as well.

The thing is, as I said, I am willing to build something somewhat "not that current". Also, I feel like the upcoming games will become better and better suited for "more than 4 core CPUs". That's just my opinion and I do understand many people won't agree with me.

But still, these are the reasons why i'd rather go for an AMD of an extreme edition from Intel than buying a "usual" 6600K. Maybe that's my "weirdo" side talking here.

I think the x79 is outdated.

It might be better to go with cpus that have an integrated memory controllet hub.

7 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

But you don't need a 1000 watt PSU....not even remotely. 

Well I was pretty impressed by the peak power consumption of the 3930K when overclocked (up to almost 500W :o )... Added to this is my 480 which I am also willing to overclock...

I do agree 750W might have been enough but I got this modular 1KW gold PSU for a "not so bad price" (98USD) and (even if that is stupid) I feel safer with a bigger PSU...

Please correct me if my numbers are wrong.

About the "obsolete" X79 platform : it still has everything I need, from USB 3 to DDR3, PCI Express with CrossFire... I don't feel I would benefit in any way from a newer platform.

Edited by oscar7601

7 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Well I was pretty impressed by the peak power consumption of the 3930K when overclocked (up to almost 500W :o )... Added to this is my 480 which I am also willing to overclock...

I do agree 750W might have been enough but I got this modular 1KW gold PSU for a "not so bad price" (98USD) and (even if that is stupid) I feel safer with a bigger PSU...

Please correct me if my numbers are wrong.

About the "obsolete" X79 platform : it still has everything I need, from USB 3 to DDR3, PCI Express with CrossFire... I don't feel I would benefit in any way from a newer platform.

What about USB Type C? Or more integrated Fan options Or RGB motherboards to go with your custom loop? Or USB 3.1- 10Gbs? Or for the love of god M.2 support. with the beautiful insane reads and writes as a OS drive.

I would look at getting a XEON... Something like a Xeon E3-1231 v3 would be perfect for you, gets you onto a slightly newer platform with about the same performance of a I7 4790 and has support for m.2.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Also I don't know where you would get a RX 480 for that price from what I could see no one is selling it that cheap.

consider getting a R9 Fury instead about a 10-15% bump in performance you also get HBM memory.

link to one: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4GB-Sapphire-Radeon-R9-FURY-Nitro-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Full-Retail-_1115516.html

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

17 minutes ago, Mcmole said:

What about USB Type C? Or more integrated Fan options Or RGB motherboards to go with your custom loop? Or USB 3.1- 10Gbs?

Erm... No offense but I really don't feel any need for any of these (at the moment)

Or for the love of god M.2 support. with the beautiful insane reads and writes as a OS drive.

For my needs, I guess a regular Sata 500Mbps read/write SSD will do just fine ;)

I would look at getting a XEON... Something like a Xeon E3-1231 v3 would be perfect for you, gets you onto a slightly newer platform with about the same performance of a I7 4790 and has support for m.2.

I do understand some people would be willing to go that way and i am not saying I am going anywhere close from the "best bang for the buck build". I was just asking if these pieces of hardware seemed consistent to you all ^_^ 

Yet, thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate that you have taken the time to answer.

14 minutes ago, Mcmole said:

Also I don't know where you would get a RX 480 for that price from what I could see no one is selling it that cheap.

All the hardware listed is the one i have already bought at the indicated prices.

Edited by oscar7601

I use the 3930k still for gaming and is in general good enough with a small OC to like 4 Ghz. That is in general a good speed for gaming and with games like skylines and EU4 it still runs good enough. But more OC is still possible if you want.

So aslong as you arn't limited by paltform restrictions you are good to go. And fot his situation things like NVME drives ahve nu real big benefit over normal SSD in gaming.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

@Mcmole if that can help you in any way, I got the RX480 from a French online store called Rue du Commerce during a special discount day.

The CPU, RAM and motherboard were bought from eBay, and I bought the PSU and case refurbished from Amazon and LDLC

Edit : Oh I forgot to reply about the Fury. It's a great card and I love it but as I said it was too expensive for me at the time when I bought the RX 480 instead. Prices of the Fury in Europe have fallen since then and today the deal you linked above would be very interesting, but it's too late. :|

Edited by oscar7601

59 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

@Mcmole if that can help you in any way, I got the RX480 from a French online store called Rue du Commerce during a special discount day.

The CPU, RAM and motherboard were bought from eBay, and I bought the PSU and case refurbished from Amazon and LDLC

Edit : Oh I forgot to reply about the Fury. It's a great card and I love it but as I said it was too expensive for me at the time when I bought the RX 480 instead. Prices of the Fury in Europe have fallen since then and today the deal you linked above would be very interesting, but it's too late. :|

Oh, my bad about not realizing you had already bought the parts, Well it's not what I would have done. Hey hey that's the beauty of custom PC building, everyone can make their PC their own.

Best of luck with the build man! Don't forget to update with pic's!

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Mcmole said:

Oh, my bad about not realizing you had already bought the parts, Well it's not what I would have done. Hey hey that's the beauty of custom PC building, everyone can make their PC their own.

Best of luck with the build man! Don't forget to update with pic's!

Thank you very much I sure will keep you updated :)

3 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Why custom loop rather than more money on the important stuff?

$50 cooler and $150 on components will get you a lot more PC than $200 on a custom loop.

Aggreed! But I simply wanted to build my very first custom watercooling loop.

I do understand these 200€ could have been used to buy some better parts but... I'll let someone else try that out :P

1 minute ago, oscar7601 said:

Aggreed! But I simply wanted to build my very first custom watercooling loop.

I do understand these 200€ could have been used to buy some better parts but... I'll let someone else try that out :P

Fair enough :)

Best of luck!

I just build a Custom loop for somewhere in between €60 and €70. You can call the parts at least a bit dodgy but after 9 hours leak testing them no part failed. For me it was a budget choice as much as my curiosity. Wondering if cheapo stuff like that could pull it of. 

Gotta say that I got the CPU block, pump/reservoir combo and rad from China. The rest I bought from known brands (tubing, 2 compression fittings). If the loop fails it better isn't because of a dodgy tube or something.

O almost forgot. Haven't been able to test the performance yet. Leak testing has been done outside of the case.

The evolutionist: CPU: i5-2500k 4.5 GHz OC CPU-COOLER: LEPA Aquachanger 240 AIO GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6670* RAM: 2X 4GB DDR3 MB: ASUS P67 Sabertooth Rev. 3 PSU: Cooler Master PSU CASE: Aerocool Strike-X One BOOT DRIVE: OCZ Octane 256GB SSD DATA DRIVE: 1TB Western Digital WDC & 3TB Western Digital WDC OS: Windows 10 Professional x64

*Loaner to replace my recently died ASUS GTX 750Ti-PH-2GD5. May you rest in peace

If you have a pc and you replace all parts of that pc, is it still the same pc?

48 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Great idea I might try that first :)

Just keep in mind that while it may not have leaked during testing it might when you put it in. I used some leftover tube for this, the loop at this moment isn't usable for a CPU at all. If there is less than 2 inches between block and rad it wouldn't surprise me. It is a good method to test your components with (at least that is how I see it).

The evolutionist: CPU: i5-2500k 4.5 GHz OC CPU-COOLER: LEPA Aquachanger 240 AIO GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6670* RAM: 2X 4GB DDR3 MB: ASUS P67 Sabertooth Rev. 3 PSU: Cooler Master PSU CASE: Aerocool Strike-X One BOOT DRIVE: OCZ Octane 256GB SSD DATA DRIVE: 1TB Western Digital WDC & 3TB Western Digital WDC OS: Windows 10 Professional x64

*Loaner to replace my recently died ASUS GTX 750Ti-PH-2GD5. May you rest in peace

If you have a pc and you replace all parts of that pc, is it still the same pc?