850 Pro or Evo?

sotiris.bos

I'm in the market for a 512GB SSD. It is not going to be running full. Which one should I choose? Any practical differences between 'x'LC memories?

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

5 minutes ago, sotiris.bos said:

I'm in the market for a 512GB SSD. It is not going to be running full. Which one should I choose? Any practical differences between 'x'LC memories?

Unless you are doing heavy work and really hammer your SSD with lots of writes the EVO series will be more than enough for most users. The main difference is the amount of writes where the Pro uses the MLC providing it that extra durability and a longer warranty period. 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Unless you are doing heavy work and really hammer your SSD with lots of writes the EVO series will be more than enough for most users. The main difference is the amount of writes where the Pro uses the MLC providing it that extra durability and a longer warranty period. 

I've got an 840 Pro with 10.4TB written on it since its rollout

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

29 minutes ago, sotiris.bos said:

I've got an 840 Pro with 10.4TB written on it since its rollout

You have nothing to worry about then I have something in the range of 15-20TB on my 840 Pro and still going strong. The new 850 Pro and Evo are rated for 300TB and 150TB writes respectively so you have nothing to worry about. They still can continue even after the rated amount it's just that they don't guarantee it, but the rated numbers are quite conservative. 

Exactly my question, was going to start a topic on that. I have a laptop without discs.. Planing to get it up and runing again. I had to use its discs for my desktop (850 PRO), and now I'm kinda looking toward 850 EVO, since in the life spam of this laptop, nowhere near as many writes are going to be done on it. My 512gb 850 PRO has around 2-3TB written on it after about a year.. That's like 1% of rated writes.. So yeah. 850 evo it is. Don't choose 256gb tho. The bigger the size, the better.