Which language to learn to make apps?

Rotterdams

For Ios you have Swift but what about Android? I googled but I see so many names going by :/ idk which one is good to start with for beginners.

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

The official language for Android development is Java.

Unless you want to make games, then you need to learn a game engine like Unity and the game engines language (Unity's is C# and JavaScript).

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Why are you talking about Unity.

In case he wants to make games.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

My build:

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Then quote him, not me. He asked "what about android" and I told him.

True, sorry. My bad.

also,

My build:

8 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

Unless you want to make games, then you need to learn a game engine like Unity and the game engines language (Unity's is C# and JavaScript).

unity doesn't actually use JavaScript.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Oh. Really! I thought it did. I have always used C#, so I haven't really checked lately. I just seemed to recall it allowing you to script in JavaScript (Or java, I'm not sure.)

also,

My build:

2 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

It's okay, I'm just being triggered right now by the guy who ran a batch file and deleted like half of his registry and he doesn't even have a backup or a system restore point.

Script kiddies...

You are forgiven. 

also,

My build:

You can write Unity scripts in either C# or JavaScript.

I knew it!

also,

My build:

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

You are forgiven. 

You can write Unity scripts in either C# or JavaScript.

Apple only has "Swift" right? So you can make ALL apps including games on IOS with Swift? It sounds easier then learning +10 languages for android lol

20 minutes ago, Rotterdams said:

For Ios you have Swift but what about Android? I googled but I see so many names going by :/ idk which one is good to start with for beginners.

The primary language for Android is Java for making Apps, with plenty of "App Maker" platforms using other languages. I'd recommend sticking to Java for learning to do basic Android apps, as that should have the best support/tutorials. Plus Java itself can be used for other applications outside of Android.

For Games, it's best to use either Unity (C#, Javascript, Boo) or Unreal Engine 4 (C++ or Blueprints (There proprietary scripting language)). That said, it's also possible to use Java for that as well, just more difficult.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 minutes ago, Rotterdams said:

Apple only has "Swift" right? So you can make ALL apps including games on IOS with Swift? It sounds easier then learning +10 languages for android lol

I'm not entirely sure you can use it to make games. One again, you would have to learn a game engine. Also, you can make an app for IOS with another language that would work on android.

also,

My build:

6 minutes ago, Rotterdams said:

Yes, and you can do the same for Android and Java.

What you're getting confused with is platforms. You can develop apps and games in multiple different API Platforms that target both iOS and Android that use different languages. Xamarin, Unity, UE4, <insert generic App Maker here>.

All these do though is compile their project in either Swift, Java, or Native C++ (not sure if iOS has this, I know Android does).

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I'm not entirely sure you can use it to make games. One again, you would have to learn a game engine. Also, you can make an app for IOS with another language that would work on android.

So if I learned Java it woudnt be a total time loss if i switch to a different language? I am a total noob at this. I know litterly nothing :) and im not sure yet what I want to do. I dont want to learn software which im never going to use.

4 minutes ago, Rotterdams said:

So if I learned Java it woudnt be a total time loss if i switch to a different language? I am a total noob at this. I know litterly nothing :) and im not sure yet what I want to do. I dont want to learn software which im never going to use.

Nope. That's the fun part about languages, both spoken or programming, what you're trying to convey is the exact same just the syntax. Or in more Programmer speak, so long as you understand Object Oriented Programming concepts, switching languages is simple.

What would you like to make? Maybe narrowing your scope (pun entirely intended) will help.

To add to the above, you can make cross-platform apps with Xamarin but it's limited from my understanding, so it depends on what you wanna do all in C#. I don't currently work in mobile app development so I haven't had to touch Xamarin so I couldn't personally tell you what those limitations are.

5 hours ago, Rotterdams said:

Yes. you can use java to make IOS apps, but you get more benefits on IOS if you use swift. I would recommend you choose a platform, and then work from there. Here is a website that will provide you some really nice tutorials at low cost:

https://www.udemy.com/

also,

My build:

3 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Nope. That's the fun part about languages, both spoken or programming, what you're trying to convey is the exact same just the syntax. Or in more Programmer speak, so long as you understand Object Oriented Programming concepts, switching languages is simple.

What would you like to make? Maybe narrowing your scope (pun entirely intended) will help.

Don't focus on learn the language too much. Instead focus on concepts. They tend to carry over throughout languages. And learn Java will definitely not be a waste of time.

What kind of apps are you looking to make?

1 minute ago, King_of_Oz said:

Yes. you can use java to make IOS apps, but you get more benefits on IOS if you use swift. I would recommend you choose a platform, and then work from there. Here is a website that will provide you some really nice tutorials at low cost:

https://www.udemy.com/

I have no idea what I would want to make :) If I start with learning a language i dont want to be able just to make a pacman alike game, i would like to be able to make something which looks good aswel. Im not sure if this is possible to do solo in my spare time.

Making simple apps would be start :)

22 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

It supports it.

But it is really not recommended

it compiles scripts really slowly

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

I have no idea what I would want to make :) If I start with learning a language i dont want to be able just to make a pacman alike game, i would like to be able to make something which looks good aswel. Im not sure if this is possible to do solo in my spare time.

in the end do you want to learn to make games or apps

also,

My build:

in the end do you want to learn to make games or apps

apps it is! :D

and how do i download Java? is it named javascript? java.com i guess?

I will start with tutorials on youtube :)

4 minutes ago, Rotterdams said:

If you're just starting out, definitely keep the scope small and simple. There's nothing wrong with making small apps that you'll never publish and just need to demonstrate a concept you're learning.

The language isn't going to be the thing limiting you to "just make a pacman games." What WILL limit you is platform though, the most popular platforms right now are Unity and UE4 for making anything from simple "pacman" games to Final Fantasy 15.

3 minutes ago, Rotterdams said:

You'll want the Java JDK. Do note that Java and Javascript are NOT the same thing.

You can get the JDK here, just pick the one for your Operating System.

Java and JavaScript are 2 different languages. You need to learn 2 things to make apps. A language to code you app and an IDE ( like Android Studio for android) to make you app in. To find out more, here is a link to android studio:

https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html

also,

My build:

6 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

I recommend this. Great free course.

And Java and JavaScript are different things.

5 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

You'll want the Java JDK. Do note that Java and Javascript are NOT the same thing.

You can get the JDK here, just pick the one for your Operating System.

4 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

Java and JavaScript are 2 different languages. You need to learn 2 things to make apps. A language to code you app and an IDE ( like Android Studio for android) to make you app in. To find out more, here is a link to android studio:

https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html

See how confusing this is for a beginner. Everyone gives a different link and name :D

See how confusing this is for a beginner. Everyone gives a different link and name :D

I would actually recommend using the course @Lacrimas suggested.

also,

My build: