VSYNC VSYNC VSYNC Help

John Leonard

Hi. When exactly is it advisable to turn VSYNC on? I play DOTA 2 with VSYNC off and I kinda notice turning it on while playing a single game and I felt better gaming performance.. or is it?

Turned off: 70-90fps with 100+ max

Turned on: 59-60fps with the lowest of 56

I have a Samsung SyncMaster monitor (not really a gaming monitor) with 1366 x 768 HD resolution (not FULL HD) and 60Hz refresh rate.

The problem that I encountered now is that when I'm in the GAME MENU of Dota 2, I get a locked FPS count of 30 (HALF MY VSYNCed fps count)

My Maximum fps count is set to 120.

Enlighten me pls. Thanks.

when you turn on vsync it will match the fps with your monitor Hz. So when you have 60hz it will be locked at 60fps. This will reduce screen tearing.

Cut scenes and game menu are very often at 30 fps. I don't know why but it is as it is :D

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

4 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

when you turn on vsync it will match the fps with your monitor Hz. So when you have 60hz it will be locked at 60fps. This will reduce screen tearing.

Cut scenes and game menu are very often at 30 fps. I don't know why but it is as it is :D

Just to add, the lack of screen tearing is why OP feels like they're "getting more performance".

Dota's menu should be 60fps unless they changed something?

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Just to add, the lack of screen tearing is why OP feels like they're "getting more performance".

Dota's menu should be 60fps unless they changed something?

I turned vsync off in BF1. I find the game more fluently when it is off. I don't know why since I have a 60hz 1080p monitor.

I've read that the vsync is not always performing so good. Maybe that is why.

BF1 Cut Scenes are 30fps for sure, and the menu was limitless. 

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

15 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

Hi. When exactly is it advisable to turn VSYNC on? I play DOTA 2 with VSYNC off and I kinda notice turning it on while playing a single game and I felt better gaming performance.. or is it?

I play almost everything with vsync on, because the tearing I get on my monitor is far worse than anything vsync does. There's nothing wrong with using vsync if it gives you a better experience on your hardware.

Just wondering... Will vsync lower the GPU usage. I mean if you you get f.e. 120fps with 100% GPU Usage, will vsync (if you use a 60hz monitor) relieve your GPU so it will run at only 70% or so? 

My Setup: 

10 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Just wondering... Will vsync lower the GPU usage. I mean if you you get f.e. 120fps with 100% GPU Usage, will vsync (if you use a 60hz monitor) relieve your GPU so it will run at only 70% or so? 

In the example you gave, yeah. It's not specific to vsync, though… anytime you're capping your framerate to something less than what your hardware could otherwise do, regardless of the method, it will reduce the workload of something (usually the video card).

2 hours ago, John Leonard said:

Turned off: 70-90fps with 100+ max

Turned on: 59-60fps with the lowest of 56

I have a Samsung SyncMaster monitor (not really a gaming monitor) with 1366 x 768 HD resolution (not FULL HD) and 60Hz refresh rate.

The problem that I encountered now is that when I'm in the GAME MENU of Dota 2, I get a locked FPS count of 30 (HALF MY VSYNCed fps count)

My Maximum fps count is set to 120.

Enlighten me pls. Thanks.

I don't think you understand what it is.

VSync locks your graphics card down to only produce frames at the rate your monitor can display them. So with a 60Hz monitor like you have, it will lock the GPU to 60fps. However if your game can't reach 60fps, it will go down to the next multiple of 60Hz - i.e. if your game starts running at like 55fps, Vsync will lock it to 30fps, then 20fps, 15fps, etc.

It removes 'tearing' and makes you game completely smooth, because your graphics card frame output is aligned with the monitor's display rate. However, in some games you may feel input lag because the card is slowing each frame down to match the monitor. Try it out in each game and see how you feel.

As a general rule of thumb, if you can consistently stay above 60fps, and turning vsync on doesn't give you any noticeable lag, then it's best to keep it on, as your game will look much smoother. If you can't keep the game above 60fps (or whatever your refresh rate is) OR it causes noticeable delay, then keep it off.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

13 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I don't think you understand what it is.

VSync locks your graphics card down to only produce frames at the rate your monitor can display them. So with a 60Hz monitor like you have, it will lock the GPU to 60fps. However if your game can't reach 60fps, it will go down to the next multiple of 60Hz - i.e. if your game starts running at like 55fps, Vsync will lock it to 30fps, then 20fps, 15fps, etc.

It removes 'tearing' and makes you game completely smooth, because your graphics card frame output is aligned with the monitor's display rate. However, in some games you may feel input lag because the card is slowing each frame down to match the monitor. Try it out in each game and see how you feel.

As a general rule of thumb, if you can consistently stay above 60fps, and turning vsync on doesn't give you any noticeable lag, then it's best to keep it on, as your game will look much smoother. If you can't keep the game above 60fps (or whatever your refresh rate is) OR it causes noticeable delay, then keep it off.

Thank you!

18 hours ago, treeroy said:

17 hours ago, John Leonard said:

Thank you!

And if you consistently get a frame rate more than double your screen's refresh (like 240 fps in CS:GO on a 120Hz monitor, or 120fps in a game on a 60Hz monitor) and you're on Nvidia hardware you should go into the Nvidia control panel and turn quick Fast sync on. It's a modified vsync that helps with input lag but only works if your frame rate is substantially higher than the display rate.

17 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

And if you consistently get a frame rate more than double your screen's refresh (like 240 fps in CS:GO on a 120Hz monitor, or 120fps in a game on a 60Hz monitor) and you're on Nvidia hardware you should go into the Nvidia control panel and turn quick sync on. It's a modified vsync that helps with input lag but only works if your frame rate is substantially higher than the display rate.

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks. I always get 300+ fps on CSGO so could use that.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

8 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks. I always get 300+ fps on CSGO so could use that.

Oops sorry, It's called Fast Sync, not Quick Sync.

Thanks, guys. Now I'm having some issues with my native resolution. Will create a new thread regarding this. Strange native reso