Worth upgrading router ?

KeFy

So my ISP (Telia) provided me with a technicolor router im suposed to get 100gb up 100gb down and i am getting about 130gb up and 100gb down so more than i am advertised.

is it worth to get another router ? how mutch will i benefit ?. if at all ?

3 minutes ago, KeFy said:

So my ISP (Telia) provided me with a technicolor router im suposed to get 100gb up 100gb down and i am getting about 130gb up and 100gb down so more than i am advertised.

is it worth to get another router ? how mutch will i benefit ?. if at all ?

Jesus, that's alright... You've probably got one of the best internet connections in the world there.

But really... The router doesn't really affect the speed of your internet, just the speed of your wifi and internal connections. If you're happy with that then there's no need for you to get a new router.

3 minutes ago, Mug said:

Jesus, that's alright... You've probably got one of the best internet connections in the world there.

But really... The router doesn't affect the speed of your internet, just the speed of your wifi and internal connections. If you're happy with that then there's no need for you to get a new router.

alright then i will probably not get a new one. but i am still confused the router has a really bad rating on amazon but i am getting really good speeds over wifi and ethernet and have had no issues with it.

6 minutes ago, KeFy said:

alright then i will probably not get a new one. but i am still confused the router has a really bad rating on amazon but i am getting really good speeds over wifi and ethernet and have had no issues with it.

I couldn't tell you mate, sometimes Amazon product reviews are utter bollocks, somethimes its' because of poor infrastructure and the router is blamed or maybe the router has really poor firmware. It's difficult to know for sure what their issues were but if you're happy with it that's the only thing that matters.

I just got my parents on a new fibre deal with a new router provided by the ISP. The router also has really bad product reviews on Amazon but I think it's alright, as long as it satisfies their needs then there's no issue. Plus it has some dank remote management features so I can fix it if it goes wrong without having to go to their house.

ISP-supplied routers usually bear the brunt of bad reviews due to poor services offered by ISPs.

You're getting good speed coz your ISP is good to you. ISP provided modem/routers are always the oldest cheapest and nastiest they can get a bulk deal on hence the bad ratings on Amazon. What I would do is check the Linux kernel version it's running because you don't want outdated software. Change the default admin password and change DNS to opendns.com. add the opendns.com/welcome page to your browser home page

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You are most likely going to achive better wifi performance, easier to use and more features (Could be SNMP, Layer 7 packet inspection, printer server, VPN server, QoS)

But most likely will not be seeing any performance increase on wired connections.

2 hours ago, Mug said:

But really... The router doesn't really affect the speed of your internet, just the speed of your wifi and internal connections. If you're happy with that then there's no need for you to get a new router.

Places in Sweden can get 200 down and up. 

-Thread moved to Networking. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Places in Sweden can get 200 down and up. 

-Thread moved to Networking. 

200 gb? wow, I'm impressed