PC clock messing up

Pittman90
Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

Yeah, simplest thing is to replace the mobo battery, it's only a CR2032 battery, you can buy like 12 of them from ebay/amazon etc for about £3 or something. Put the correct time in when you next power on.

So for whatever reason my computer's clock keeps messing up, it says the wrong time and time zone, I have changed it to the correct time and time zone but the next time I power on my PC it goes back to being incorrect again. I am assuming that this is an issue with my mobo battery needing to be replaced but I don't know for sure. 

Yeah, simplest thing is to replace the mobo battery, it's only a CR2032 battery, you can buy like 12 of them from ebay/amazon etc for about £3 or something. Put the correct time in when you next power on.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Agreed.  Usually is the CMOS battery going end of life.  It creates inconsistency in the UTC [Coordinated Universal Time] and that throws off the clock trigger for the OS.  The OS DOES pull its time update from online, but pulls it's synchronization directly from the mainboard.  If the battery cannot retain charge, you lose synchronization of the clock resulting in really wild times and zone attachments.  Once the battery is replaced, let us know if it worked.

2 hours ago, Pittman90 said:

So for whatever reason my computer's clock keeps messing up, it says the wrong time and time zone, I have changed it to the correct time and time zone but the next time I power on my PC it goes back to being incorrect again. I am assuming that this is an issue with my mobo battery needing to be replaced but I don't know for sure. 

The CMOS battery is the flat disc shaped battery on your Mobo. It keeps data like time up until you turn on your PC, and it is likely to have caused this problem. Simply just replace it, and you're done!

CPU: i7-6700k                                                                                                                                                                      RAM: 16GB-DDR4

GPU: GTX 1050ti                                                                                                                                                            Headphones: ATH-M10

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB                                                                                                                    Recently Played: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013                                                                                                                         Currently Playing: Simulators