Thin Client

Hi, i am looking into purchasing a used thin client off ebay and it runs Windows XP Embedded as that is what HP offers on there website for download.  it is only $22 but i am not sure if i should spend the money yet.  my plan was to have it at my grandmas house and have it set up to load windows and then run OpenVPN Connect and have an icon for connecting to any computer at my house if i wanted.  the only down side is that the specs are enough to run Windows XP Embedded and RDP or something into a server but that is about it.  would it be worth the investment???

that might work once the Windows XP Embedded image cant be used for anything.  but mostly i plan to just have it connect to my home network through a VPN connection and then just RDP into one of my computers

Not worth it. I don't see the point. Its going to be very slow. Your much better off just using your desktop for this, of getting something like a used thinkpad for about 50 bucks and it will be much faster.

Also don't use windows XP. ITs a security nightmare.

yea i keep telling myself you want to so get it but then i change my mind shortly after i tell my self this.  i am also looking at a windows 7 version but i am not sure yet

1 hour ago, Dudefoxlive said:

yea i keep telling myself you want to so get it but then i change my mind shortly after i tell my self this.  i am also looking at a windows 7 version but i am not sure yet

Thin clients are neat lil things. Honestly if i was doing what you were doing, id get a p4 sff machine. much more power for around the same price. if you look arround the $100 or above, you can get a  Dell Inspiron 410 Zino HD, which doesnt run embedded windows and the ram and hdd can be upgraded

Old thin clients have poor performance, worse that a raspberry pi. Get a thinkpad or exlease

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

well i am glad i have not purchased it yet.  this gives me time to think before i start purchasing.  plus i also have an HP Stream 7 Tablet that i want to fix and a LG Sunset that i need to get a replacement screen for.  money that would go to something that i would use more often. 

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

Old thin clients have poor performance, worse that a raspberry pi. Get a thinkpad or exlease

Hes right. But if you do decide to go down the route of an old thin client, get linux mint or xubuntu, linux is a great for servers

i just plan to have it connect to my home network and then connect to one of my computers.  that all they are really meant for and that is all i was gonna use it for.

1 minute ago, Dudefoxlive said:

well i am glad i have not purchased it yet.  this gives me time to think before i start purchasing.  plus i also have an HP Stream 7 Tablet that i want to fix and a LG Sunset that i need to get a replacement screen for.  money that would go to something that i would use more often. 

I need to make money myself, got parts laying around i could get a decent bit for. Trust me man, think this through. You're doing yourself good for asking people. :D 

well like i said i have other devices that need replacement parts and they would get used more often than the thin clients