Wifi Range Extender

FoxySocks

Im on the market for purchasing a wifi range extender because my wifi just cant seem to reach the whole house from one position. It currently sits in the basement and Im looking to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-Gigabit-Ethernet-RE450/dp/B010S6SG3S to put on the second floor. The reviews on the product look pretty good but Id like to see what you guys have to say about it if you own one or have experience with one. Thanks in advance!

do you have any old routers, as you might be able to turn them into access points to do the same job

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Don't buy a range extender. They're all junk and are nothing but headaches.  

Buy or use an old router as an access point and either run an ethernet wire to it from the main router, or use powerline adapters to get an ethernet line to it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Don't waste your money with a wireless repeater.  I've tried them before and they are all garbage.  @djdwosk97's idea would work much better.  Also, if you can't or don't want to do that, I would strongly recommend you move your router upstairs from the basement as high as you can get it.  You'll get much better signal strength throughout your house.

If you have a detachable antenna you could mod one to so called "dual-square/биквадрат" or so called "антенна харченко" (antenna kharchenko) Link to Russian page here. or  youtube video . If done correctly you can have amazing results. If that doesn't then try ФА-20 (FA-20) link to ukrainian page here It's one big mofo, but it should work very well. It may look ghetto, but it will boost wifi signal significantly if you have tools already laying around. Use google translate if you don't understand to read what they say. If you have any questions with translation let me know, and I'll translate it for you.