Foxconn might build a manufactruing plant in the US

NumLock21

The chairman of Foxconn, the company that assembles most of Apple's iPhones in China, gave some remarks at a holiday party over the weekend suggesting that Apple could partner with his company to build a new factory in the US.

Foxconn is planning to build a display manufacturing plant in the US after acquiring Sharp. The value of the plant may exceed $7 billion dollars and would create about 50,000 jobs. They are still looking at the best location for building such a plant, so far their main choice is Pennsylvania, after Foxconn had a holiday party over there. But it's not finalized yet, and other states can still submit their best offer with Foxconn.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-foxconn-could-build-display-plant-in-united-states-2017-1

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I feel like I heard about this before.

EDIT: Yeah that was back when Apple was apparently talking to Foxconn to look into ways to manufacture iPhones in the States.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I feel like I heard about this before.

EDIT: Yeah that was back when Apple was apparently talking to Foxconn to look into ways to manufacture iPhones in the States.

That was about a month or so ago, or last year. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

What are the direct advantages and disadvantages of such implantation other than more jobs in the home country and what would apparently be higher manufacturing costs?

Groomlake Authority

11 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

What are the direct advantages and disadvantages of such implantation other than more jobs in the home country and what would apparently be higher manufacturing costs?

You've covered just about any I can think of. One could argue that it's a step in a humane direction as they won't be opening another large scale sweatshop that they've become notorious for. We'll likely get better quality through restrictions but at a higher price.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Why US? SHARP was Japanese.

Anyway, they're probably doing this to get easier access to robotics equipment, when they have it they'll probably leave again asap.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

9 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

There was a section of text that said, building a plant in the US would cut down shipping cost? Where shipping parts from oversea can take up to 30 days or so. I can't can seem to find that part or the article. :/

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

27 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The economy that the area the factory is in could have a positive rise - the economy going up will have other positive effects like more jobs being created even outside of the factory.

A major negative is that it could backfire if not done properly, which it probably won't be at first. The unions here won't allow factory workers to work for basic pay and benefits, so in order to pay those workers someone will have to eat the cost and it won't be the company selling the product.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

There was a section of text that said, building a plant in the US would cut down shipping cost? Where shipping parts from oversea can take up to 30 days or so. I can't can seem to find that part or the article. :/

Except shipping costs bundled with manufacturing (and all that it entails) overseas comes out to be less expensive than manufacturing over here in the States.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

Except shipping costs bundled with manufacturing (and all that it entails) overseas comes out to be less expensive than manufacturing over here in the States.

Yeah, I don't get how manufacturing in the US reduces shipping cost. But at least, there are jobs, and that's a good thing.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

If Trump's administration wants to get back jobs and not to destroy the economy, the only way I see they can do that is to make the US a tax haven ( a real one). If they don't, prices will increase and bye bye America. 

Interesting. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That would be really cool, I'm also interested to know how it would be feasible - government subsidy? 

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Of which the money comes from...? 

The US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world but hardly any companies actually pay at that rate due to deals, incentives, and subsidies all in the name of promoting business. Trump wanted iPhones made in America and apparently there have been private talks between his administration and Foxconn. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Tax haven like Ireland? 

I don't know much about Ireland besides that they have lower taxes than the EU. Regulations for example, ought to be very relaxed too, and very simplified. 

On 23-1-2017 at 9:13 PM, JoseGuya said:

If Trump's administration wants to get back jobs and not to destroy the economy, the only way I see they can do that is to make the US a tax haven ( a real one). If they don't, prices will increase and bye bye America. 

they can even be lower because the manufacture can go even quicker to the plant to make adjustments. and not to forget taxes are going down so the product will cost even lower overseas. the US iphone costs 700 if foxconn build that plant there it would might even cost 700 euro's in Europe. so it is a Win/Win plan.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular