Help: PC turns on by itself while hibernating!

Vishvas Sudarshan

When I shut down my PC, it stays powered off. But if I put it to hibernate, it turns off completely(at least I think so, cause I hear a click sound from my PSU) and about 5-6 seconds later, it turns back on again and boots.

But, after the 'click', if I cut the power to my PSU for few seconds, and then turn on the power again, it stays shut down.

Any way I can fix this?

Also during sleep, the slightest disturbance in power in the house wakes the PC(For ex: I turn on the fan in some other room)

Thanks!

Type this in cmd. It will tell you what makes the pc wake up

powercfg -lastwake

And then look at device manager for that

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Type this in cmd. It will tell you what makes the pc wake up

powercfg -lastwake

And then look at device manager for that

This is what I got-

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 0

1 minute ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

This is what I got-

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 0

Do that after your computer wakes. Put it to hibernation, wait till it wakes upand type it again

Maybe the hibernation file is corrupt. 

open the cmd and type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then turn it back on with powercfg.exe /hibernate on

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Do that after your computer wakes. Put it to hibernation, wait till it wakes upand type it again

I got the same result. Besides, I had unplugged everything except the PSU cord.

3 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Maybe the hibernation file is corrupt. 

open the cmd and type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then turn it back on with powercfg.exe /hibernate on

I got this error: Unable to perform operation.  An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred:  Function failed during execution.

2 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I got the same result. Besides, I had unplugged everything except the PSU cord.

I got this error: Unable to perform operation.  An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred:  Function failed during execution.

Oh, did you open the cmd as Administrator?

If this throws an error, then you seem to have a Windows problem.

You should maybe do a check: run sfc /scannow in cmd (also as Admin!)

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

That's very curious... physically speaking, there's no difference between hibernation and shutdown... they only act differently "in software".

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

40 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

32 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Oh, did you open the cmd as Administrator?

If this throws an error, then you seem to have a Windows problem.

You should maybe do a check: run sfc /scannow in cmd (also as Admin!)

@Ryan_Vickers

Ran the Scan, it showed a list of corrupted files which it fixed (Saw the list In a log file)

Now the problem seems to be gone!

Thanks guys! :)

Any idea about the sleep issue? Cause I need to put in in hibernation even though I'll come back in a short time.

4 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

@Ryan_Vickers

Ran the Scan, it showed a list of corrupted files which it fixed (Saw the list In a log file)

Any idea about the sleep issue? Cause I need to put in in hibernation even though I'll come back in a short time.

The sleep issue could be caused by a combination of dirty house power and a poor quality PSU.  Try upgrading the PSU and/or get a highend UPS (line interactive, I think it's called)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The sleep issue could be caused by a combination of dirty house power and a poor quality PSU.  Try upgrading the PSU and/or get a highend UPS (line interactive, I think it's called)

I have a Corsair RM450. So I need a higher end PSU? Anything that can be done to the house, cause we'll be renovating in a few months?

4 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I have a Corsair RM450. So I need a higher end PSU? Anything that can be done to the house, cause we'll be renovating in a few months?

Hm, that seems decent enough.  I don't know if you can renovate the problem away... I would suggest a UPS honestly.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, that seems decent enough.  I don't know if you can renovate the problem away... I would suggest a UPS honestly.

We do have a UPS, but as mentioned in this post-

I should get a separate UPS for the PC, and Maybe change the 'General Purpose' one to pure sine wave?

Edit: General Purpose as in for the whole house, its 11 years old

13 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

@Ryan_Vickers

Maybe try this again:

My Setup: 

2 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

We do have a UPS, but as mentioned in this post-

I should get a separate UPS for the PC, and Maybe change the 'General Purpose' one to pure sine wave?

Edit: General Purpose as in for the whole house, its 11 years old

Like I said, it depends on the quality.  Some just let the house power pass through unless there's a significant upset, where as some completely absorb the house power and produce all of the output power "fresh" and clean on the other side.  I think these are called "line interactive" and they are more expensive.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Like I said, it depends on the quality.  Some just let the house power pass through unless there's a significant upset, where as some completely absorb the house power and produce all of the output power "fresh" and clean on the other side.  I think these are called "line interactive" and they are more expensive.

OK thanks for the help and info. I'll do some research and get an appropriate UPS when we renovate!