External mic for DSLR

Hello community,

I have recently found the need to purchase an external mic for my DSLR. Unfortunately, due to my limited budget, my DSLR doesn't have an external mic jack. Is there any solution for this? 

My camera is a Canon EOS 1300D.

Thanks in advance

(edit: I'm perfectly okay with having to time match the audio to the video later in post)

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

You will probably need to record on internal AND on a completely separate external system.   Then overly the better audio in post when you need the better sound quality.  record both so that sound sync is really easy.

1 minute ago, Rohime said:

You will probably need to record on internal AND on a completely separate external system.   Then overly the better audio in post when you need the better sound quality.

What do I need for an external recording system?

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

44 minutes ago, another random person said:

What do I need for an external recording system?

Just a couple of examples... 

2 minutes ago, Rohime said:

*snip*

Thank you

Desktop

LAPTOP

Another option for recording audio outside of your camera would be some kind of Zoom recorder with a shotgun or omnidirectional mic. Depending on what kind of work you are doing, you could also use lavalier microphones. Rode makes a lav that plugs into a smartphone so you can record that way.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

1 hour ago, nickl said:

Another option for recording audio outside of your camera would be some kind of Zoom recorder with a shotgun or omnidirectional mic. Depending on what kind of work you are doing, you could also use lavalier microphones. Rode makes a lav that plugs into a smartphone so you can record that way.

Something like a RodeSmartLav + phone (e.g. iPhone) or RodeSmartLav + SC TRRS to TRS adapter + Zoom H1 recorder.  Or even better, a Zoom H5 or H6 with modular mic system that lets you connect a shotgun style mic, lav style, omni, stereo, different types of mic systems.

Sync audio in post.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

22 hours ago, nickl said:

20 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Something like a RodeSmartLav + phone (e.g. iPhone) or RodeSmartLav + SC TRRS to TRS adapter + Zoom H1 recorder.  Or even better, a Zoom H5 or H6 with modular mic system that lets you connect a shotgun style mic, lav style, omni, stereo, different types of mic systems.

Sync audio in post.

Thanks for your help, but I have decided on a digital audio recorder which I can use to plug microphones into.

Desktop

LAPTOP

1 hour ago, another random person said:

Thanks for your help, but I have decided on a digital audio recorder which I can use to plug microphones into.

Basically the Zoom H5 or H6 recorders I mentioned, they have various inputs for different types of mics.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins