Why is my port forwarding not working

TheMidnightNarwhal
Just now, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

I just flat out disabled it. Network security side, I'm not as knowledgable; can any really bad things happens if my firewall is open? After all I still have the router right, which only has certain open ports.

It's not a good idea to have it disabled. Your computer won't block any incoming packets if it's disabled. It's not super serious since your router most likely already has a firewall on it and enabled, but that won't protect you from treats from inside the network (like if someone connects a computer that's infected to your WiFi), or if some security exploit gets revealed that might bypass that firewall, or exploit a certain port if it's open.

It's not a good idea to keep it off.

Open the Windows firewall with advanced security.

"Select inbound rules"

Click "New Rule..."

Select port and click next.

Enter all the TCP ports first. So in your case it would be: Specific local ports: 53, 80, 433, 14000, 14008 then click next.

Allow the connection

Apply the rule to all types of networks, or just home (assuming that's what your home network is defined as).

Name the rule something like "TCP port forwarding rules".

Then do the same for UDP.

Open the tab that is labeled DMZ. type in the ip you want to port foward and save changes. Head into port fowarding tab and enter in the ports you want to open.

Ports won't usually show open unless there is something currently using that port, just a small tip to help your troubleshooting.

How long has the issue with Siege and Forza 3 persisted? Could it just be an issue at the other end?

Antivirus software can interfere with this stuff as well (Avast in particular doesn't seem to know the boundaries of its assignment), which software are you using and have you tried to (temporarily) shut it off as well?

On 1/23/2017 at 5:42 PM, tatte said:

Ports won't usually show open unless there is something currently using that port, just a small tip to help your troubleshooting.

How long has the issue with Siege and Forza 3 persisted? Could it just be an issue at the other end?

Antivirus software can interfere with this stuff as well (Avast in particular doesn't seem to know the boundaries of its assignment), which software are you using and have you tried to (temporarily) shut it off as well?

The issue was here when I got my new router.

But it works now.