Give me the 101 on audio.

Bluuz

I've always been one of those folks that considered audio quality an afterthought. But my curiosity was piqued a week ago when I was playing a game and listening to a really nice piece of background music on my pc. The next day, I decided to listen to it again on my phone and that's when I noticed a dramatic difference, for the first time: an entire drum beat could not be heard from the same track.

With that, I'd like to learn the basics of audio and (nearly) everything that an audio enthusiast would know before making an informed purchase. What are some commonly thrown around terms and buyer traps that people fall into? Some questions I already have are:

-How do external and internal audio solutions compare to each other?

-What the difference is between a headset and headphone.

-How dramatic are the differences between an integrated soundcard vs a $30, $50, $100? Would someone with an untrained ear like mine really notice the differences?

-What's more important? a Good headphone or a good soundcard?

-What is interference and how can I measure or detect if I am experiencing it.

-Do I need an upgrade? Currently using a sony dr ga500 (it was a gift) and an Asus xonar dg 5.1 sound card.

After that, I'd also welcome some recommendations on solutions. I'm actually trying to free up my internal sound card slot (for future crossfire) so I'd prefer an external. I'm looking not to exceed $400.

As for usage, I mostly play rpgs and occasionally some LoL. Other usage scenarios include watching movies and some anime. In terms of music genre, I mostly listen to classical.

I've always been one of those folks that considered audio quality an afterthought. But my curiosity was piqued a week ago when I was playing a game and listening to a really nice piece of background music on my pc. The next day, I decided to listen to it again on my phone and that's when I noticed a dramatic difference, for the first time: an entire drum beat could not be heard from the same track.

With that, I'd like to learn the basics of audio and (nearly) everything that an audio enthusiast would know before making an informed purchase. What are some commonly thrown around terms and buyer traps that people fall into? Some questions I already have are:

-How do external and internal audio solutions compare to each other?

-What the difference is between a headset and headphone.

Headset is (Headphone + mic)

-How dramatic are the differences between an integrated soundcard vs a $30, $50, $100? Would someone with an untrained ear like mine really notice the differences?

Prolly minor improvement compared to integrated soundcard on newer mobo. Get external DAC/Amp (o2 amp/dac) will be recommended.

-What's more important? a Good headphone or a good soundcard?

Good headphone first, then consider about getting an external dac/amp , soundcard is a waste of money really its like getting beats headphone for audio quality.

-What is interference and how can I measure or detect if I am experiencing it.

Hssssssssssssssssss, crack , pop , and many more.

-Do I need an upgrade? Currently using a sony dr ga500 (it was a gift) and an Asus xonar dg 5.1 sound card.

If you're happy with it , don't. Try out headphones at local store to see if you like it or decide what kind of headphones you like (open/closed) before looking for one. Beyer DT990/DT770 , Audio technica M50 ,Sennheiser HD 518 / 558 / 598 / 600 are some safe choice to begin with.

Then paired it with mod mic , zalman clip on mic or get a nice mic such as blue snowball , blue snowflake etc.

After that, I'd also welcome some recommendations on solutions. I'm actually trying to free up my internal sound card slot (for future crossfire) so I'd prefer an external. I'm looking not to exceed $400.

As for usage, I mostly play rpgs and occasionally some LoL. Other usage scenarios include watching movies and some anime. In terms of music genre, I mostly listen to classical.

At that price range get http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/objective2-amplifer-with-odac.html which is DAC + Amp combo, connect it to your pc using USB , and connect your headphones to it = win. That's the best bang in the buck you can get for this price category unless you're looking for some premium priced product. 

I personally uses PC->AUNE T1 -> O2 amplifier -> sennheiser HD 580 and it's a win for sure ;D.

You can read nwavguys articles on audio, as well as the FAQ at the top of the audio forum. As for recommendations I need to know what headphones you are using now and what frequencies you prefer. (Bass, mids, treble). Headphones that do all 3 well start in the $1000 price range, so for lower budgets you can pick probably 2/3 of those things (just what I've noticed testing many headphones). My standard recommendations are the dt 990 + o2 amp, or AD700x. 990's have the most bass in any headphone under $150, but they need an amp to drive. AD700x has a wide sound stage, and have OK bass, but not as good as the dt990. I don't like sennheiser, but most do. You can pick up a pair of q701's/hd600's and an o2 amp just at about your budget and you should be good to go for a good all arounder.

Your stuff needs to run through a thing called a dac, which is then run through an amp, to your headphones. Get a better set of headphones before you upgrade your amp, get a better amp before you upgrade your dac. Don't upgrade your dac. 

Audio run down in three sentences.