10G between servers, 1G to rest of network?

Gerr

I am setting up 2 servers, a Windows App server and a Linux or Freenas storage server using ZFS. The App server will act as a front end to the ZFS server, so all network connectivity will be to the App server and then it will make calls to the ZFS server as needed.  This will include NVR traffic, NAS traffic, workstation backup traffic, and Plex streaming traffic.  The App server will have a 3-NIC bond to my managed switch, but I would like a high speed 10G connection between the App and ZFS server with the ZFS server also having a single 1G connection back to the regular network so it can check the Internet for updates.  Basically I want to keep the traffic between the servers off my switch.

The 10G link between the servers will just be an ad-hoc connection with a 10G card in each system with a single cable between.  My question is what is the best way to set this up so all traffic between the servers uses ONLY the 10G link while all other traffic would use their switch connection?

Just set host DNS entries locally for the APP and ZFS servers so they only ever communicate on the IP range you specify for the 10Gb xover link between cards.

None of the other devices need any host redirects.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

This is for my home and right now, I don't have an internal DNS setup.  Can I do this without an internal DNS setup or is that required for this to work?

9 hours ago, Gerr said:

This is for my home and right now, I don't have an internal DNS setup.  Can I do this without an internal DNS setup or is that required for this to work?

Set IP addresses that are not accessible from your gigabit network on both servers' 10Gb cards, and use those IP addresses when specifying the server.

My native language is C++

I get it, use the hosts to setup server names to the ad-hoc IP's, then make connections between the servers by name, not IP, and that will look at the host file entry first and set it over the ad-hoc network first.  Correct?