Windows 8,1 abnormal behavior

Sycro
Go to solution Solved by Sycro,
On 21/01/2017 at 0:13 PM, digitaldoughnut said:

I'm nor sure what it could be, the only other thing that I can think of is if you open the run box (windows button +r) and type "msconfig" and go to the boot tab and see if there is anything that shouldn't be selected. 

Here's an update on the situation: I noticed a hib(something).sys occupying like 13gb of ssd space, researched on it and turns out its the hibernate/fast boot function of Windows that could be disabled so I disabled it and, somehow, it fixed the problem. Go figure I guess.

Hi. My Windows 8.1 has been doing this for a good while but I ignored it given the fact that I rarely use it but I guess it's about time to fix it. Every time I boot into Windows it reboots instantly (no login, no nothing) and upon rebooting it boots normally. Every time. I'm running a Dual Boot between OSX El Capitan and Windows 8.1 using Clover, so basically the computer boots into the selection screen, I pick Windows 8.1, it reboots back to the selection screen, I pick Windows again and it boots fine. OSX works fine, everything works, and so did Windows in the first few months but then this started happening and I got 0 clue why. It also went into test mode but with a quick google search I found a fix for that. They're probably related issues so I thought I mentioned that. If anyone's got any clue on what's going on I'd appreciate some help.

My rig is as follows:

Intel Core i5 4690k

Gigabyte z97x Gaming 3

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

16gb DDR3 ram (Kingston Fury something)

A metric shit ton of peripherals:

Spoiler

canon printer, hp monitor 27" 1080p, tablet as secondary monitor, two usb hubs, usb bluetooth, usb headset, a DS3 controller, an Asus cd reader/writer thing, a usb wireless keyboard and mouse combo from logitech, usb powered speakers, line in mic

250gb SSD from crucial (split into two partitions for each OS)

2x 1Tb HDD from seagate (one in NTFS and on in exFAT)

I cant remember if the PSU is an XFX 550W  or 650W

All the cooling came with the case (NZXT Noctis 450, 2 intakes on the front, 1 out in the back, 1 out in the top)

20 hours ago, Sycro said:

Hi. My Windows 8.1 has been doing this for a good while but I ignored it given the fact that I rarely use it but I guess it's about time to fix it. Every time I boot into Windows it reboots instantly (no login, no nothing) and upon rebooting it boots normally. Every time. I'm running a Dual Boot between OSX El Capitan and Windows 8.1 using Clover, so basically the computer boots into the selection screen, I pick Windows 8.1, it reboots back to the selection screen, I pick Windows again and it boots fine. OSX works fine, everything works, and so did Windows in the first few months but then this started happening and I got 0 clue why. It also went into test mode but with a quick google search I found a fix for that. They're probably related issues so I thought I mentioned that. If anyone's got any clue on what's going on I'd appreciate some help.

My rig is as follows:

Intel Core i5 4690k

Gigabyte z97x Gaming 3

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

16gb DDR3 ram (Kingston Fury something)

A metric shit ton of peripherals:

Reveal hidden contents

canon printer, hp monitor 27" 1080p, tablet as secondary monitor, two usb hubs, usb bluetooth, usb headset, a DS3 controller, an Asus cd reader/writer thing, a usb wireless keyboard and mouse combo from logitech, usb powered speakers, line in mic

250gb SSD from crucial (split into two partitions for each OS)

2x 1Tb HDD from seagate (one in NTFS and on in exFAT)

I cant remember if the PSU is an XFX 550W  or 650W

All the cooling came with the case (NZXT Noctis 450, 2 intakes on the front, 1 out in the back, 1 out in the top)

Can you boot into safe mode????

22 minutes ago, digitaldoughnut said:

Can you boot into safe mode????

I can boot into both OS just fine, either normally or in safe mode. Literally EVERYTHING works, Windows just reboots once before booting normally for some reason.

16 hours ago, Sycro said:

I can boot into both OS just fine, either normally or in safe mode. Literally EVERYTHING works, Windows just reboots once before booting normally for some reason.

I'm nor sure what it could be, the only other thing that I can think of is if you open the run box (windows button +r) and type "msconfig" and go to the boot tab and see if there is anything that shouldn't be selected. 

Checked and on the Boot tab everything seems fine, however on the General Tab the "selective startup" option was selected. I selected the "normal startup" option instead, rebooted but it did the same thing AND when I checked msconfig again the "selective startup" option was selected again.

Here's an update on the situation: I noticed a hib(something).sys occupying like 13gb of ssd space, researched on it and turns out its the hibernate/fast boot function of Windows that could be disabled so I disabled it and, somehow, it fixed the problem. Go figure I guess.