Dell XPS 15 9550

Hi there,

I have the Dell XPS 15 9550, the problem is it can't play any games, it has the 960m and 4k screen, most games don't run at 4k and the ones that do play with terrible fps, when I drop screen to 1080p its more playable but i have black bars on both sides and the screen doesn't look great.

Did I make a mistake buying this laptop :( Is it worth just selling?

Thanks

Can you take a picture of these black bars? It may be one of a few potential issues which may or may not be fixable. As a side note, most (affordable) laptops will not be adequate for running high end games at high or ultra settings. Usually the best way to change graphics is not hardware based but with the in-game settings. That being said, most games will run just fine on a 4k monitor but multiple 4k pixels will represent 1 1080p pixel. For your usage you may have made a mistake in buying this laptop (saying this with the assumption that you bought it for gaming) but it is not necessary to sell, it is still a very good laptop and does complete wonders compared to what I am typing this on (maxes vanilla minecraft at 20 FPS with a 720p monitor).

6 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Can you take a picture of these black bars? It may be one of a few potential issues which may or may not be fixable. As a side note, most (affordable) laptops will not be adequate for running high end games at high or ultra settings. Usually the best way to change graphics is not hardware based but with the in-game settings. That being said, most games will run just fine on a 4k monitor but multiple 4k pixels will represent 1 1080p pixel. For your usage you may have made a mistake in buying this laptop (saying this with the assumption that you bought it for gaming) but it is not necessary to sell, it is still a very good laptop and does complete wonders compared to what I am typing this on (maxes vanilla minecraft at 20 FPS with a 720p monitor).

A 960m at 1080p would be decent but, i wanted semi thin and decent battery life with decent gaming performance. I wanted to use it for gaming but taking it out and using it checking mail etc. It is but I spent 1800 NZD on it would it be better to sell it and wait for either a better laptop with a 1060 or something?  I would upload a picture if Bf3 was working... If it works later ill upload one

It shouldn't have the black bars on the sides of the screens. Its a 16:9 screen so you're definitely sure you've got it gaming at 1920 x 1080. Keep scrolling through the in-game options if not. A 960M is a decent GPU for light games at 1080p. It should be able to handle older titles like BF3 or newer, lighter titles like Overwatch. 

Did you only just buy the 9550? Just FYI the new 9560 is being shipped in about 3 weeks time with about a 20% faster GPU and a bigger battery.

9 hours ago, terbor33 said:

It shouldn't have the black bars on the sides of the screens. Its a 16:9 screen so you're definitely sure you've got it gaming at 1920 x 1080. Keep scrolling through the in-game options if not. A 960M is a decent GPU for light games at 1080p. It should be able to handle older titles like BF3 or newer, lighter titles like Overwatch. 

Did you only just buy the 9550? Just FYI the new 9560 is being shipped in about 3 weeks time with about a 20% faster GPU and a bigger battery.

I got it second hand, but i will probably sell it doesn't do what I need, plus like you said a better one is out. Lets just hope I don't lose a lot of money from it, I spent 1800 NZD on it :( Ill probably honestly go for a gigabyte laptop with a 1060 or something, probably will suit my needs better. I do love the thin form factor, and beefy battery but a better gpu and 1080p screen is what I need.

9 hours ago, terbor33 said:

I got it second hand, but i will probably sell it doesn't do what I need, plus like you said a better one is out. Lets just hope I don't lose a lot of money from it, I spent 1800 NZD on it :( Ill probably honestly go for a gigabyte laptop with a 1060 or something, probably will suit my needs better. I do love the thin form factor, and beefy battery but a better gpu and 1080p screen is what I need.

28 minutes ago, nzskiing said:

1800 doesnt sound like a rip off tbh. think thats around 1000 GBP which is pretty good.

Take a look at the Gigabyte Aero 14. Has a GTX 1060 and a 94WHr battery. Remember that not all configs have that big battery though

2 minutes ago, terbor33 said:

1800 doesnt sound like a rip off tbh. think thats around 1000 GBP which is pretty good.

Take a look at the Gigabyte Aero 14. Has a GTX 1060 and a 94WHr battery. Remember that not all configs have that big battery though

Still not what I want lol. The Aero looks good apart from its $3000 NZD. Max is like 2000 honestly.

1 minute ago, nzskiing said:

Still not what I want lol. The Aero looks good apart from its $3000 NZD. Max is like 2000 honestly.

damn it forgot about converting it back from pounds. Im not sure what the prices are for used 1060 laptops. Perhaps the new inspiron 15 7000 gaming. Comes equipped with a 1050 ti and a 1080p screen for about 1100GBP. However not sure how that price changes down under

3 minutes ago, terbor33 said:

damn it forgot about converting it back from pounds. Im not sure what the prices are for used 1060 laptops. Perhaps the new inspiron 15 7000 gaming. Comes equipped with a 1050 ti and a 1080p screen for about 1100GBP. However not sure how that price changes down under

Lol all good, The issue is we don't have amazon or newegg in nz, they don't ship here, so I am stuck buying from a few retailers who chuck an extra 600 bucks on for markup, makes buying a laptop terrible. Tempted to get a mate from the states to ship one to NZ but then you run into the issue with warranty etc. does 1050ti run games at 60fps kinda was keen to play semi modern titles at ultra if possible. Is it worth it just going a 970m or something at 1080p.

The 1050 ti is between 5% and 15% faster than a 970m depending on the workload i believe. If you can find a second hand laptop with a 970M then that would be ideal. the 970M is between 40% and 70% faster than the 960M, again depending on the workload. Look up some benchmarks for the games that you want to play on it. 

10 minutes ago, terbor33 said:

The 1050 ti is between 5% and 15% faster than a 970m depending on the workload i believe. If you can find a second hand laptop with a 970M then that would be ideal. the 970M is between 40% and 70% faster than the 960M, again depending on the workload. Look up some benchmarks for the games that you want to play on it. 

Not bad I there are no cheapish second hand laptops :(. NZ gets screwed for tech, its actually really annoying. I may just buy from states seems easier tbh. Lol. Ill wait atm wait for what amd ships with ryzen etc. Hope prices will just go down.