How to format a PC

TreesMadeOfTanks

Straight to the point: Theres a key logger on my PC, i need to format, i've never done this before. I'd like to chose the ''Keep My Files'' feature, but will that remove the Key Logger? i need to be 100% sure its gone.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 -  GPU GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - MOTHERBOARD Asus B550 Plus - - HARD DRIVE WD Blue 1TB - MEMORY Corsair 16GB DDR4

If your antivirus can't detect and remove it then you will have to format your drive (no files will be saved and the OS will need to be reinstalled). You can back up important documents to a usb/external hard drive but take care you don't back up whatever contained the keylogger to begin with.

Well first off, there is a troubleshooting section on the forum for these issues. I would suggest using that, as there are plenty of knwoledgeable people that lurk that and are probably more in the mood to offer advise. 

Second. Yes, for the most part. It could still hide in a place like your downloads and perhaps your app data, but it wouldn't have the registry entries to autostart on boot. So technically the software could still be on your computer, but wouldn't be running. I would suggest running something like MWB after the refresh. 

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

by format do you mean reset windows because that removes all programs but leaves everything in folders like documents videos downloads music and other user folders so unless you know that the key logger is not in one of those folders you will need to reformat the hdd and install from scratch do you know you windows product key

2 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

by format do you mean reset windows because that removes all programs but leaves everything in folders like documents videos downloads music and other user folders so unless you know that the key logger is not in one of those folders you will need to reformat the hdd and install from scratch do you know you windows product key

I have a windows 7 key, but i did the Windows 10 upgrade, will the code take me automatically to W10? Or will i have to buy W10

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 -  GPU GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - MOTHERBOARD Asus B550 Plus - - HARD DRIVE WD Blue 1TB - MEMORY Corsair 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, TreesMadeOfTanks said:

I have a windows 7 key, but i did the Windows 10 upgrade, will the code take me automatically to W10? Or will i have to buy W10

it should when I had to refresh my laptop it let me upgrade just fine. you just need the windows 10 iso or download the winodws media creation tool from microsoft.

19 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

You can just backup your important data and do clean install your os.

To back up locate ur data In Local C. usually its located in C:USER->Your username

that its unless u put it somewhere else.

For example your username is John then copy that john folder into D or wherever u want.

After that make a bootable usb windows u can find the tutorial on google.

and install it follow the step and just format/delete Partition C.

PS: Keylogger usually located in Program files or windows folder, if there's some cases that is not located in there, the keylogger may will remain but it wont run because u just re-install ur os and the startup is also removed.

>implying that the OP has more than one storage device already in his computer 

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

Just now, Thread212 said:

So?

I have 4 storage in my pc and never has any problem with removing viruses or keylogger or adware,etc

I'm saying that backing up to a D or an E drive isn't as easy when you don't actually have a secondary internal storage device. Don't get me wrong, I've got a 1tb and 500gb HDD to backup from my 120 gb and 500gb SSD's but that doesn't seem to be the case in OP's situation. 

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

So?

I have 4 storage in my pc and never has any problem with removing viruses or keylogger or adware,etc

Nevermind, I stand corrected. Didn't see his build in his signature. 

1 minute ago, Coldfuson said:

Nevermind, I stand corrected. Didn't see his build in his signature. 

I don't actually have the 120GB boot drive anymore, just haven't removed it from my signature. However i have a 200GB portable hardrive which will work fine, i'm installing W10 setup on that right now.