Old Modem, New Router??

markalmza

So I have an old DOCSIS 2.0 modem and I'm using the built in router, is it wiser for me to upgrade my modem and buy a separate router or should I stick with that old modem and buy a new router?

I just wanna get faster internet, faster download speeds etc. I'm paying for about 6-7 MB/s but I rarely ever get like 1MB/s

36 minutes ago, tlink said:

that entirely depends on what you want to achieve.

I just wanna get faster internet, faster download speeds etc. I'm paying for about 6-7 MB/s but I rarely ever get like 1MB/s 

(sorry about Double Post)

6 minutes ago, markalmza said:

(sorry about Double Post)

So just to be sure, you are supposed to get 6-7 megaBYTES per second and you get 1 megaBYTE per second? Because you might be confusing megaBYTES with megaBITS

My native language is C++

5 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

So just to be sure, you are supposed to get 6-7 megaBYTES per second and you get 1 megaBYTE per second? Because you might be confusing megaBYTES with megaBITS

I know, not confusing the two at all

55 minutes ago, markalmza said:

I know, not confusing the two at all

Ok then, because internet speed is almost always measured in Mbps, not MBps.

My native language is C++

8 hours ago, tt2468 said:

Ok then, because internet speed is almost always measured in Mbps, not MBps.

Well then I pay for 50mbps but I rarely get up to 7-8mbps

12 minutes ago, markalmza said:

Well then I pay for 50mbps but I rarely get up to 7-8mbps

have you tried connecting directly to the line in with your pc/laptop/phone whatever? are you sure the AP is the bottleneck?

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

have you tried connecting directly to the line in with your pc/laptop/phone whatever? are you sure the AP is the bottleneck?

I mean it's an old cable modem (Motorola SBG901) from a handful of years ago, so like I figure it's the modem? Like old tech is like presenting a bottleneck 

6 minutes ago, markalmza said:

I mean it's an old cable modem (Motorola SBG901) from a handful of years ago, so like I figure it's the modem? Like old tech is like presenting a bottleneck 

yes but you should check if the bottleneck lies somewhere by the modem till the ISP or between the modem and your device. thats why you need to do more than 3 speedtests while connected via lan to the modem as only device, nothing else can be connected or your test is moot. also don't run anything on the background such as updates or browser or whatever.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

yes but you should check if the bottleneck lies somewhere by the modem till the ISP or between the modem and your device. thats why you need to do more than 3 speedtests while connected via lan to the modem as only device, nothing else can be connected or your test is moot. also don't run anything on the background such as updates or browser or whatever.

Ok I just did 3 speed tests, all with my pc directly connected to the modem, and I'm averaging about 27mbps down, when I did the speed test before connecting directly to modem (was using power line) and it was averaging about 6-7 down

3 minutes ago, markalmza said:

Ok I just did 3 speed tests, all with my pc directly connected to the modem, and I'm averaging about 27mbps down, when I did the speed test before connecting directly to modem (was using power line) and it was averaging about 6-7 down

powerline is not what i would call a direct connection to the modem :P with a direct connection i mean only a rj45 jacked CAT5 (or above) Ethernet cable between both appliances. did you reach 27mbps with the connection via only a rj45 jacked CAT5 (or above) ethernet cable? 27 mbit down still is too low for what you're paying. do you know the exact model number or model name of your modem?

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

powerline is not what i would call a direct connection to the modem :P with a direct connection i mean only a rj45 jacked CAT5 (or above) Ethernet cable between both appliances. did you reach 27mbps with the connection via only a rj45 jacked CAT5 (or above) ethernet cable? 27 mbit down still is too low for what you're paying. do you know the exact model number or model name of your modem?

ya sorry didnt explain well, i did 3 tests with powerline to modem (what i use everyday) and got 6-7mbps down, and then i connected my pc directly to the back of my modem (with rj45) and did 3 tests and got 27 on avg down. the model of the modem is a Motorola sbg901

1 minute ago, markalmza said:

ya sorry didnt explain well, i did 3 tests with powerline to modem (what i use everyday) and got 6-7mbps down, and then i connected my pc directly to the back of my modem (with rj45) and did 3 tests and got 27 on avg down. the model of the modem is a Motorola sbg901

it probably is the modem then, this is directly from its amazon page:

Internet download speeds up to 38 Mbps and upload speeds up to 30 Mbps based on your Cable provider service

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG901-Wireless/dp/B002M3SJ6U

im not sure if your cable provider provides the modem etc but i do know that that's the case here. you should call them and ask if they will provide you with one or if you can buy one yourself. if they don't provide it for free than i would personally buy one elsewhere instead of accepting an offer they are making because i would rather look online at specs and recommendations than just do whatever they think is good. 

another bottleneck you accidentally seem to have found is your powerwall adapter, it drops 20mbit from the connection which is quite a lot imo(not sure though i never use them). which model or serial number is it? if you can i would pull ethernet cables, the connection from that will be way more stable and less hassle to set up.

you also asked if you should buy a router, that entirely depends on what your modem upgrade is going to be and what you want to do with it. for example it can be beneficial to have a modem run into the router that is located in the center of the building instead of the wall so wifi coverage will be better. or for example in the room where most ethernet connectivity is so you don't have to pull many ethernet cables and can just pull one ethernet cable to the router. i can't really decide that for you. i personally just use the modem but my home is small so wifi coverage isn't a problem and its the only room that needs ethernet connectivity anyways.

19 minutes ago, tlink said:

it probably is the modem then, this is directly from its amazon page:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG901-Wireless/dp/B002M3SJ6U

im not sure if your cable provider provides the modem etc but i do know that that's the case here. you should call them and ask if they will provide you with one or if you can buy one yourself. if they don't provide it for free than i would personally buy one elsewhere instead of accepting an offer they are making because i would rather look online at specs and recommendations than just do whatever they think is good. 

another bottleneck you accidentally seem to have found is your powerwall adapter, it drops 20mbit from the connection which is quite a lot imo(not sure though i never use them). which model or serial number is it? if you can i would pull ethernet cables, the connection from that will be way more stable and less hassle to set up.

you also asked if you should buy a router, that entirely depends on what your modem upgrade is going to be and what you want to do with it. for example it can be beneficial to have a modem run into the router that is located in the center of the building instead of the wall so wifi coverage will be better. or for example in the room where most ethernet connectivity is so you don't have to pull many ethernet cables and can just pull one ethernet cable to the router. i can't really decide that for you. i personally just use the modem but my home is small so wifi coverage isn't a problem and its the only room that needs ethernet connectivity anyways.

so if i got a new router (then attached router to cable modem) would i be bottlenecked?

4 minutes ago, markalmza said:

so if i got a new router (then attached router to cable modem) would i be bottlenecked?

if the new modem and router can handle more than 50mbit than yea, they wouldn't bottleneck you anymore. there still can be a bottleneck at your NIC from the appliances connecting but i very much doubt that unless they are 10 years old or something. and your wiring can still bottleneck but thats easy to fix and i doubt its the case. that powerwall adapter you have probably is bottle necking you though.

16 hours ago, markalmza said:

So I have an old DOCSIS 2.0 modem and I'm using the built in router, is it wiser for me to upgrade my modem and buy a separate router or should I stick with that old modem and buy a new router?

It depends on speeds and your providers. My provider Comcast wont allow Docsis 2.0 modems on their network any longer. Due to the push for Docsis 3.1. Also Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 modems use channel bonding to get speeds. So you should get better speeds if your ISP provides them. 

If you get a separate router as well, you can get a big upgrade on the wireless. Keep in mind Wireless AC is now the standard and its much faster. Just curious whos your ISP? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.