What should I upgrade?

Floo

Thinking about upgrading my PC in the near future i'm just not sure what to upgrade first or what parts I have to upgrade. I have been noticing that I cant really max alot of newer games that's why i'm looking to upgrade.

I'm currently running:

CPU: i5 4670K (H100i V2 cooler)

GPU: MSI GTX 970

RAM: 16GB HyperX

MOBO: MSI Z87-G45

1920x1080p 144Hz Monitor

I play a lot of different games like BF1, FH3, Overwatch.

These are the parts I've been looking at (https://gyazo.com/d608151e3b40831df7f8cde99a4a39e5)

If you push your CPU to at least 4GHz which should be an easy OC for that chip, there will be no CPU bottleneck.

I think the first thing you should work on would be the graphics card. A GTX 1070 would be a good pairing with that CPU. It will power a GTX 1080 without issue if you overclock it to say 4.2GHz or so.

Either the GPU or the monitor. If you upgrade the gpu, you would need a better monitor. If you got a new monitor, you would need to get a new gpu. IMO you should get the monitor first, and then the GPU

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

Either the GPU or the monitor. If you upgrade the gpu, you would need a better monitor. If you got a new monitor, you would need to get a new gpu. IMO you should get the monitor first, and then the GPU

I agree. I see in OP's link that he was looking at a CPU upgrade, but a 4790K would do everything a 7700K will do except for really CPU intensive tasks like CPU encoding while gaming. Even recording and streaming while gaming isn't going to push the CPU as hard as encoding a video project in your favorite CPU-bound video editor (like Premiere Elements which lack the GPU encoding features seen in Premiere Pro).

As long as you don't make the CPU tank with other tasks while you're gaming, you could stay where you are, upgrade the graphics card and monitor, then move to the 4790K when you have the budget. Until Intel increases IPC in their chips (Kaby Lake's IPC is identical to Skylake), I am not going to view Haswell Refresh chips as being outdated.

1 minute ago, weberdarren97 said:

I agree. I see in OP's link that he was looking at a CPU upgrade, but a 4790K would do everything a 7700K will do except for really CPU intensive tasks like CPU encoding while gaming. Even recording and streaming while gaming isn't going to push the CPU as hard as encoding a video project in your favorite CPU-bound video editor (like Premiere Elements which lack the GPU encoding features seen in Premiere Pro).

As long as you don't make the CPU tank with other tasks while you're gaming, you could stay where you are, upgrade the graphics card and monitor, then move to the 4790K when you have the budget. Until Intel increases IPC in their chips (Kaby Lake's IPC is identical to Skylake), I am not going to view Haswell Refresh chips as being outdated.

Exactly. OP already has a 4670k which will do him just fine (especially for gaming) and should not bottleneck any single gpu (or even two gpu's in sli) 

4 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

Exactly. OP already has a 4670k which will do him just fine (especially for gaming) and should not bottleneck any single gpu (or even two gpu's in sli)

I feel that I should point out that OP is probably unsatisfied with his machine's performance in BF1 because his CPU only has four threads. That game makes even the i7 7700K tank. We need to wait for the devs to improve CPU optimization before we just assume that a CPU upgrade will greatly improve performance in BF1.

Alright guys you've given me some thing to think about thanks for the help :)