Dropping connection on Lan cable

Ace0100

Hey all

I am having an issue where when i download something over 1gb my computer loses connection to the internet my other devices are working fine just my desktop. I am using a lan cable connected through a Internet over power adapter.

anyone had this issue or know a fix ?

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

Is it completely disconnecting or is the download just interrupted? If its just interrupted, I would be willing to bet its dropping the connection often and you simply don't notice because it reconnects. Either way, I think its likely your adapter causing the issue. I haven't seen any thing like this caused by a computer itself and if the other devices work I doubt its your ISP or router. If you can try another means of connection, do so first to be sure, but I'd start looking at other adapters...or just another solution since internet over power has a bad reputation.  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

11 hours ago, RedWulf said:

Is it completely disconnecting or is the download just interrupted? If its just interrupted, I would be willing to bet its dropping the connection often and you simply don't notice because it reconnects. Either way, I think its likely your adapter causing the issue. I haven't seen any thing like this caused by a computer itself and if the other devices work I doubt its your ISP or router. If you can try another means of connection, do so first to be sure, but I'd start looking at other adapters...or just another solution since internet over power has a bad reputation.  

its completely disconnecting it does not reconnect i have to reboot to get connection back. i am not that far from the router only reason why i have the adapter because i cant run the lan cable down hallway properly people will be tripping over it.

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

• 4 weeks later...

So i reformatted my SSD and it seems it stopped for awhile and now its back large download drops my PC connection every other device does not get affected when downloading large files. Any idea anyone im at a loss 

Powerline adapters, look to see if they have an updated firmware available for them.  May assist with drops under high network load, some of the older Solwise 200M series I have seen had problems with maxing throughput for any extended period.  To where the unit had to be powered off and on to rectify, the firmware flash sorted it though even though no mention of the 'fix' was present in the firmware readme.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

11 hours ago, Falconevo said:

Powerline adapters, look to see if they have an updated firmware available for them.  May assist with drops under high network load, some of the older Solwise 200M series I have seen had problems with maxing throughput for any extended period.  To where the unit had to be powered off and on to rectify, the firmware flash sorted it though even though no mention of the 'fix' was present in the firmware readme.

I had changed the adapters to new one since the first post and it does the same thing now one of my friends seem to say its the lan port on my motherboard could that be a factor? my motherboard is a GA-Z77-D3H Gigabyte 

update the drivers to the latest available as a starting point and see if the problem goes away..  It is a possibility but im skeptical

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply