Slight stutter when games load areas

Omie

So I just built my pc yesterday: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNhpVY

I made sure to update all of my drivers too and Gsync + Vsync is on in the NCP but vsync is off in games, so my fps is limited to the refresh rate of my monitor which is 144Hz.

So far I've tested out two games: Marvel Heroes 2016 and TERA. I notice that there is a very slight stutter as I'm moving around in the games and I notice that the stutter occurs mostly when I'm moving towards an area that is loading in details, etc.

I was expecting very smooth gameplay with this build, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

One thing that is bothering me is that during my build, I accidentally forcefully removed my GPU from my motherboard which in turn bent the metal bracket ends (bracket which has the different video outputs) of the GPU, so I had to bend them back to be able to fit it into my motherboard. The PCIE slot for my motherbord did get a little scratched on the top and I'm not sure if the bottom pins of my GPU also had a scratch or something, I saw a very faint, small black line on one of the bottom pins of my GPU, so I'm not sure if it was a scratch caused by the forceful removal of the GPU or if it's the way it is, etc. But my fps seems fine and the GPU/mobo is working properly, everything is recognized, etc. How likely is it that this mishap is the culprit for my stuttering?

If the issue truly only occurs when something is loading then the issue would be with your storage device.

Typical rule of thumb: loading = storage; fps = GPU and CPU

6 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

If the issue truly only occurs when something is loading then the issue would be with your storage device.

Typical rule of thumb: loading = storage; fps = GPU and CPU

Hmm, I see. Well my SSD seems to work fine, and my fps seems reasonable given that I'm playing in 1440p on the highest settings for both games.

Just in case, is there anything I can do to test that all my hardware is working at the level its supposed to? I want to be able to eliminate any hardware issues in response to the stuttering problem I'm having. Like is there a benchmark I can run or something like that?

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Hmm, I see. Well my SSD seems to work fine, and my fps seems reasonable given that I'm playing in 1440p on the highest settings for both games.

Just in case, is there anything I can do to test that all my hardware is working at the level its supposed to? I want to be able to eliminate any hardware issues in response to the stuttering problem I'm having. Like is there a benchmark I can run or something like that?

If you have ever watched LinusTechTips, there are several accounts where they have used Haven Benchmark as a benchmark test for their devices. http://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

2 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

If you have ever watched LinusTechTips, there are several accounts where they have used Haven Benchmark as a benchmark test for their devices. http://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

Hmm ok. Is there a benchmark that tests all the hardware in my PC? I think Unigine is mainly for GPU. I was thinking maybe 3D Firestrike?

1 hour ago, Undertaker225 said:

Here I just ran Firestrike. Does my score properly reflect my hardware? 

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17414353?

5 hours ago, Omie said:

Here I just ran Firestrike. Does my score properly reflect my hardware? 

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17414353?

I think that it is pretty safe to say that if there truly is a problem with your computer it would not reside within the graphical processing or central processing of your computer.

11 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

I think that it is pretty safe to say that if there truly is a problem with your computer it would not reside within the graphical processing or central processing of your computer.

Hmm ok. Is there anything I can run to check the motherboard as well?

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Hmm ok. Is there anything I can run to check the motherboard as well?

There isn't much that I would know to check a motherboard other than a visual check. That being said, I have not encountered a motherboard that has that issue. Most of the times when something breaks on a motherboard it really breaks, like to a point of unusable. Whether it's a port, or the whole board.

There isn't much that I would know to check a motherboard other than a visual check. That being said, I have not encountered a motherboard that has that issue. Most of the times when something breaks on a motherboard it really breaks, like to a point of unusable. Whether it's a port, or the whole board.

Oh ok. Well I don't know what the problem would be then.

I mean all I've been playing so far are mmorpg's and all have some sort of slight stutter. Not sure if this is normal or something else is wrong with my pc :(

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Oh ok. Well I don't know what the problem would be then.

I mean all I've been playing so far are mmorpg's and all have some sort of slight stutter. Not sure if this is normal or something else is wrong with my pc :(

Can you explain the stutter to me? MMORPG's are online, which means that this could be latency pertaining to the game itself or your internet connection. That being said, I have no idea what stutter means in this case.

Can you explain the stutter to me? MMORPG's are online, which means that this could be latency pertaining to the game itself or your internet connection. That being said, I have no idea what stutter means in this case.

Well it's like a slight "hiccup" when I'm moving around. Like a split second freeze as I'm moving around randomly or into a new area where things may be loading in.

I don't think its latency or anything because then I believe there would be a delay, and I don't experience any delay.

Well. This is a trippy diagnostic seeing as I am trying to go off of your lingo. LOADING would indicate a storage issue, rendering and processing of graphical information that is being sent to a computer would be at the CPU and GPU level. Are you tracking your FPS during gameplay by any chance?

Well. This is a trippy diagnostic seeing as I am trying to go off of your lingo. LOADING would indicate a storage issue, rendering and processing of graphical information that is being sent to a computer would be at the CPU and GPU level. Are you tracking your FPS during gameplay by any chance?

Yeah, it's whenever the fps takes a slight dip it happens.

I actually found a video of my problem. This guy is on a 6700k and GTX 1080, so it's pretty similar to my specs except that I'm running the game at 1440p.

Just watch the video in 60fps and watch the first minute. Look very carefully and do you see those slight freezes? That's what I'm experiencing in this game.

3 minutes ago, Omie said:

Yeah, it's whenever the fps takes a slight dip it happens.

I actually found a video of my problem. This guy is on a 6700k and GTX 1080, so it's pretty similar to my specs except that I'm running the game at 1440p.

Just watch the video in 60fps and watch the first minute. Look very carefully and do you see those slight freezes? That's what I'm experiencing in this game.

Ouch, that is rough. I see what you mean. That would not be network latency because you would still see movement but no reaction to the world. Have you isolated it to the two games only?

Ouch, that is rough. I see what you mean. That would not be network latency because you would still see movement but no reaction to the world. Have you isolated it to the two games only?

Well so far I've played Marvel Heroes 2016, Maplestory, TERA, and Blade and Soul. All seem to suffer from that issue in one way or another. Some games, like Blade and Soul, being more noticeable than others.

11 minutes ago, Omie said:

Well so far I've played Marvel Heroes 2016, Maplestory, TERA, and Blade and Soul. All seem to suffer from that issue in one way or another. Some games, like Blade and Soul, being more noticeable than others.

alright, well based on what I have been reading about Blade and Soul is a lot of poor optimization with the game, apparently it's a pretty big thing in reference to that game. It's kind of like playing Empire: Total war or any of the newer total war series where they just don't optimize very well. If you are experiencing the gameplay just as someone else is who is bragging about System stability, then it seems as if the problem then lies within the game itself. I find that this occurs in more CPU intensive games, so I would check how much of your CPU is being allocated when this game is playing. As for the other games, your guess is as good as mine I'm afraid. I know that none of these answers are the answers you are looking for and for that I apologize.

3 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

alright, well based on what I have been reading about Blade and Soul is a lot of poor optimization with the game, apparently it's a pretty big thing in reference to that game. It's kind of like playing Empire: Total war or any of the newer total war series where they just don't optimize very well. If you are experiencing the gameplay just as someone else is who is bragging about System stability, then it seems as if the problem then lies within the game itself. I find that this occurs in more CPU intensive games, so I would check how much of your CPU is being allocated when this game is playing. As for the other games, your guess is as good as mine I'm afraid. I know that none of these answers are the answers you are looking for and for that I apologize.

Ah ok. I really appreciate your help!

I actually tested the Doom demo someone recommended I try. I maxed out my settings and I don't notice any stutters. So I think this is likely an issue with MMORPGS in general?

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Ah ok. I really appreciate your help!

I actually tested the Doom demo someone recommended I try. I maxed out my settings and I don't notice any stutters. So I think this is likely an issue with MMORPGS in general?

I guess anything is possible, It would have to be a coincidence that they all have very high latency or server response or something, or a problem on your end to say all MMORPGs. I wouldn't rule it out though. The fact that it works so well on DOOM with all of the highest settings makes me feel really good about your rig though. It tells me that the performance test says it all. You have a very nice set up.

I guess anything is possible, It would have to be a coincidence that they all have very high latency or server response or something, or a problem on your end to say all MMORPGs. I wouldn't rule it out though. The fact that it works so well on DOOM with all of the highest settings makes me feel really good about your rig though. It tells me that the performance test says it all. You have a very nice set up.

Thanks! I was really worried about something being wrong with my system. I guess if I did manage to screw up my mobo/GPU, I think my benchmark tests would have at least reflected it. 

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

Thanks! I was really worried about something being wrong with my system. I guess if I did manage to screw up my mobo/GPU, I think my benchmark tests would have at least reflected it. 

That and I have seen messed up PCI and PCIe slots on Motherboards, most of which rendered the computer handicap, only allowing the user to use integrated graphics. The motherboards wouldn't detect the card. Good luck and enjoy your system. :D 

That and I have seen messed up PCI and PCIe slots on Motherboards, most of which rendered the computer handicap, only allowing the user to use integrated graphics. The motherboards wouldn't detect the card. Good luck and enjoy your system. :D 

Yeah, I figured if it was actually messed up, it would have never posted, never even recognized the card, or I would have experienced severe performance issues, like fps drops, etc. But again, the Firestrike test proved that my system is up to par assuming that "better than 97%" is a good indicator lol.  And I don't think messed up GPU pins or a damaged PCIE slot on the mobo would have resulted in the specific issue of "stutters in MMORPG's" haha. 

Thanks for all your help :)