Foam Board Case

SirTankBall

Please Me If Need Be.

so see all these guys with $100+ pc cases all the time, so there cool and all but its just stupid to spend $100+ on a stupid PC case when u can make or own! heck if u know what your doing u can make a small PC case for as little as $5.

so heres one of my PCs i have with a homemade PC case out of WalWorld (WalMart) foam board. i've be doing these cases for years now. never once had a over heart or any thing like that. i would like to try out a water cooled PC but im not going to put $60+ on a stupid water cooling system for my PC that does just fine being air cooled.

1st.JPG2nd.JPG3rd.JPG4th.JPG5th.JPG6th.JPG7th.JPG8th.JPG9th.JPG10th.JPG

now i dont have a build video of the PC i just showed but i do have a build video for say for a potato AMD i have.

the AMD potato im using on my TV for mostly uploading videos to my 2nd youtube channel. it can game but not that well since it only has 2GB of ram, i do want to put 4GB in it but idk when i will

Whatever floats your boat! I fashioned air channels for my bitcoin mining video cards back in the day, using foam core board too.

For a full build, I just picked up a Fractal Design Define S for about $60, so I'm going to just use that. :)

Again, whatever floats your boat! I'm glad you like it.

It's on foam

Can it float?

• 4 weeks later...

so i havnt done a update cuz i have made a new case. but now i made a new one.

so this is the smallest case i made (for a desktop) i was going to using it as a ps1, ps2, and psp emu. but sadly it cant run the ps2 emu well so i had to get other desktop i had and make it a new case. but there here is why i like making my own cases, this PC is SO small i can store in here.

20170206_052452.jpg

20170206_052501.jpg

20170206_052506.jpg

now heres the new PC i'm useing, the specs are.

Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.5GHz

6GB of ram.

320HHD

750ti (2GB)

its also runing windows 10 64bit. im going to be upgrading to windows 7 64bit very soon. 10 sucks!

20170206_052355.jpg

20170206_052407.jpg

20170206_053612.jpg

its a little biger then i would like but it does the job. its still smaller them in i bought a real case for it. 

• 1 month later...

I've actually been thinking of prototyping a case out of this kind of foam boards.
Before perhaps having someone like Protocase have a go at a metal version.
I only deal with mITX and SFX PSUs ur pico PSUs however, so expect something really tiny (probably with custom water cooling).

I was wondering how it compares to a steel or aluminium (or aluminum for those Americans out there) case in terms of noise

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

Very cool! As @ShepBook said, if it works for you - then great!

@leaderroy, that's an awesome idea. Many a prototype has been started with some kind of a foam/wood/cardboard material. In fact, that's how the early 45 Drives' Backblaze pods were designed before we started manufacturing them. :)

• 4 years later...

Well done sir. I'm looking at doing the same thing, on a smaller scale. Back in 2017 I built a Foam Board Macintosh case for my Raspberry Pi 3B SBC with a 7" LCD screen and portable battery pack for power.

Initially It was in black Foam Board (my Black Maque), but I wasn't too happy with the rough edges, so I coated it with marble print vinyl wrap. It lasted several months and then was crushed as I was moving stuff around.

Here are a few pics..

DEOC4350[1].JPEG

IMG_0007[1].JPG

IMG_E0014[1].JPG

OMG - that MAC is amazing., love the "marble" brings back some serious 80's memories.