WiFi advice NEEDED

Frosty!

Hi Guys,

i got a question in gonna move to a new house with 3 friends

we Need WiFi but i got Some requirments:

1 guy stream a lot

1 guy is Gaming pretty big games (BF1, CSGO, BO3 etc....)

1 guy play little games like minecraft xD And Rocket Leaque 

my question is Which internet speed do we Need? 100 Mbps? Or more?

note the 2 Guys with heavy games are on LAN CABEL the last guy is wireless

we Need such a good internet to play togehter at the same time

thank you in advance! xD

1 minute ago, Frosty! said:

Hi Guys,

i got a question in gonna move to a new house with 3 friends

we Need WiFi but i got Some requirments:

1 guy stream a lot

1 guy is Gaming pretty big games (BF1, CSGO, BO3 etc....)

1 guy play little games like minecraft xD And Rocket Leaque 

my question is Which internet speed do we Need? 100 Mbps? Or more?

note the 2 Guys with heavy games are on LAN CABEL the last guy is wireless

we Need such a good internet to play togehter at the same time

thank you in advance! xD

We are living in the centre of our city So it is pretty

heard something About that old cables only can take 100mbps

100 mbit speed would be good for you guys. However, with 3 people using it heavily, I would definitely recommend wired over wifi. Especially while gaming.

That, or spending multiple hundred dollars on a badass wifi router.

When in doubt, re-format.

I'd get the fastest speeds, personally.  

As for wireless, I'd not do it if able to.  I mean, if it's a laptop and all, that's cool.  But if they're streaming, or playing online games that can get competitive (even Rocket League) I'd recommend going ethernet for all.  

Actually working internet tech support, WiFi is quite shit, all things considering.  Yes, I use my laptop on wireless, so it's kind of hypocritical, but so many things can interfere with WiFi, it's ridiculous. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

If that's 100Mbps up AND down, should be just fine. Just make sure they don't get you there. For example my internet company advertises 100Mbps, but that's only download. I get like 6Mbps upload, which is a big annoying bottleneck in some situations. And I would get everyone wired if possible rather than wifi, even the casual gamer and streamer.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

5 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

100 mbit speed would be good for you guys. However, with 3 people using it heavily, I would definitely recommend wired over wifi. Especially while gaming.

That, or spending multiple hundred dollars on a badass wifi router.

4 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I'd get the fastest speeds, personally.  

As for wireless, I'd not do it if able to.  I mean, if it's a laptop and all, that's cool.  But if they're streaming, or playing online games that can get competitive (even Rocket League) I'd recommend going ethernet for all.  

Actually working internet tech support, WiFi is quite shit, all things considering.  Yes, I use my laptop on wireless, so it's kind of hypocritical, but so many things can interfere with WiFi, it's ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

If that's 100Mbps up AND down, should be just fine. Just make sure they don't get you there. For example my internet company advertises 100Mbps, but that's only download. I get like 6Mbps upload, which is a big annoying bottleneck in some situations. And I would get everyone wired if possible rather than wifi, even the casual gamer and streamer.

Could i just take the standard router of my provider?

it is pretty new 1

no bottleneck on the old cables in my street?

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

The asynchronous speed you talk about is the case for EVERY HOME ISP. (few exceptions exist, but 99% of residential internet packages do this)

Even my residential fibre gigabit internet gives me *only* 100mbit upload.

Home internet is optimized for download because ISP's don't want you running servers off your home internet connection. The amount of bandwidth on the cables set aside for downstream traffic is much higher than for upstream because that is how most home users use their internet. Providing synchronous speeds would be huge waste of bandwidth for the ISP. Because this would mean that they would have to provide you with lower download speeds on order to free up bandwidth for the upstream.

it is pretty new 1

Chances are that on wifi, it will potato on you if 2 people are trying to game and another person is streaming.

it is pretty new 1

If the cables can do up to 100Mbps, then they should be fine. You can take router they provide if you're going to be using ethernet on the PCs. However, reception on wireless will be pretty poor as opposed to a heavier duty router. That also largely depends on the size of the new place. Also you may have to buy a network switch if you don't have enough physical ethernet ports on that box for everybody, but those are pretty cheap.

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

The asynchronous speed you talk about is the case for EVERY HOME ISP. (few exceptions exist, but 99% of residential internet packages do this)

Even my residential fibre gigabit internet gives me *only* 100mbit upload.

Home internet is optimized for download because ISP's don't want you running servers off your home internet connection. The amount of bandwidth on the cables set aside for downstream traffic is much higher than for upstream because that is how most home users use their internet. Providing synchronous speeds would be huge waste of bandwidth for the ISP. Because this would mean that they would have to provide you with lower download speeds on order to free up bandwidth for the upstream.

Interesting, never knew. I guess it does make sense that most people don't really need much upload bandwidth. I'm a bit of an exception there so it's frustrating for me.

1 hour ago, Frosty! said:

it is pretty new 1

I would, but that's only if you want them to troubleshoot if you experience any issues.  A lot of ISPs won't troubleshoot if you don't use the modem they provide.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.