Best 1080p 144hz monitor at around $300

emil487a

I am looking for a new monitor around the price of $300. I do not know much about all of the factors that need to be taken into account when a new monitor is purchased. I am not sure of the imporance of g-sync and such. Colour quality and depth is nice but as long as it looks somewhat good i am okay. I am fine with a TN panel although an ips would be nice.

I have an intel i7 7700 and a gtx 1080

30 minutes ago, emil487a said:

I am looking for a new monitor around the price of $300. I do not know much about all of the factors that need to be taken into account when a new monitor is purchased. I am not sure of the imporance of g-sync and such. Colour quality and depth is nice but as long as it looks somewhat good i am okay. I am fine with a TN panel although an ips would be nice.

I have an intel i7 7700 and a gtx 1080

why 1080p, you would be much better off with a 1440p/4k 60hz monitor

34 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

why 1080p, you would be much better off with a 1440p/4k 60hz monitor

I like to have the higher refresh rate. Especially for competitive games.

At 144hz, tearing is less noticeable, but it does not eliminate it. Tearing is still there. If you turn on v-sync, then if your FPS are not pegged at your refresh rate, you get some stutter. G-sync fixes the tearing without adding stutter at any FPS rate from 30-144 (it caps at your refresh rate).

The next problem is that with a 60hz monitor and V-sync, when you reach your refresh rate, you get latency issues. While this may not bother a console gamer who is using a controller, it is quite bothersome with a mouse where feedback is far more sensitive. You can set a FPS cap below the refresh rate, but then that adds stutter, unless you are using G-sync.

Anyways, G-sync removes the need to compromise, though 144hz without tearing isn't terrible, at least not like it is with a 60hz monitor. G-sync is better.

42 minutes ago, Mello said:

At 144hz, tearing is less noticeable, but it does not eliminate it. Tearing is still there. If you turn on v-sync, then if your FPS are not pegged at your refresh rate, you get some stutter. G-sync fixes the tearing without adding stutter at any FPS rate from 30-144 (it caps at your refresh rate).

The next problem is that with a 60hz monitor and V-sync, when you reach your refresh rate, you get latency issues. While this may not bother a console gamer who is using a controller, it is quite bothersome with a mouse where feedback is far more sensitive. You can set a FPS cap below the refresh rate, but then that adds stutter, unless you are using G-sync.

Anyways, G-sync removes the need to compromise, though 144hz without tearing isn't terrible, at least not like it is with a 60hz monitor. G-sync is better.

Okay. Thankyou for the explanation. (btw sorry for being really ignorant now) is it possible to enable g-sync on the monitors you have selected? 

8 hours ago, emil487a said:

Okay. Thankyou for the explanation. (btw sorry for being really ignorant now) is it possible to enable g-sync on the monitors you have selected? 

lol I just copied that, but you're welcome xD 

These monitors don't have G-sync, so you can't.

12 hours ago, Mello said:

lol I just copied that, but you're welcome xD 

These monitors don't have G-sync, so you can't.

allright thankyou