3 case fans 1 motherboard header. 

mamamia88

First build ever and excited for it. Trying to do this with as little cable mess as possible. I managed to score a good deal on a modular psu but, if I need to use molex for at least one of the connections (top 2 fans are molex only) I'm not sure how much cable mess I'm saving. Also would using a 1 to 3 splitter be better than using molex for the other fans?

18 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

First build ever and excited for it. Trying to do this with as little cable mess as possible. I managed to score a good deal on a modular psu but, if I need to use molex for at least one of the connections (top 2 fans are molex only) I'm not sure how much cable mess I'm saving. Also would using a 1 to 3 splitter be better than using molex for the other fans?

Generally speaking its ok to use several fans on 1 header, Typically a fan header can handle up to 1amp and most fans only use like 0.05-0.1 amps. I personally have 3 NF-F12 fans and 2 NF-F12 fans on 2 different headers.  Though I'd check your mobo manual for info on how much power the header can provide or contact the manufacturer if the info isn't in your manual.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Did the two molex fans come with the case? You could get molex-> SATA adapter if you need to connect them. So you wouldn't need to add extra cable just to get molex. Also you can chain molex connectors.

But if those fans have 3pin connector, its much better to use it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Did the two molex fans come with the case? You could get molex-> SATA adapter if you need to connect them. So you wouldn't need to add extra cable just to get molex. Also you can chain molex connectors.

But if those fans have 3pin connector, its much better to use it.

The molex fans are Daisy chained together. SATA might be a good idea because they are mounted right above where my drives and optical are mounted and the PSU I bought looks like it had 4 SATA on one cable. So if I used an adapter like that I could probably skip plugging the molex cable into PSU altogether

1 minute ago, mamamia88 said:

The molex fans are Daisy chained together. SATA might be a good idea because they are mounted right above where my drives and optical are mounted and the PSU I bought looks like it had 4 SATA on one cable. So if I used an adapter like that I could probably skip plugging the molex cable into PSU altogether

Thats how I had my previous cases fan controller hooked. Its hard to find correct adapter where its SATA power to molex and not other way around. Luckily local store has really helpful staff.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

30 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats how I had my previous cases fan controller hooked. Its hard to find correct adapter where its SATA power to molex and not other way around. Luckily local store has really helpful staff.

Sounds good but that will max out my SATA cables permanently from the start. Trying to stick to a budget and now I want an m.2 drive. Plus not sure if using an adapter would be less messy. Is there a splitter that is like an inch off the motherboard and then has 2 cables oone very short for the back mounted fan and one longer so I can wrap behind and hide it well? This is what I'm working with btw. IMG_20170113_074832.jpg

1 hour ago, mamamia88 said:

Sounds good but that will max out my SATA cables permanently from the start. Trying to stick to a budget and now I want an m.2 drive. Plus not sure if using an adapter would be less messy. Is there a splitter that is like an inch off the motherboard and then has 2 cables oone very short for the back mounted fan and one longer so I can wrap behind and hide it well? This is what I'm working with btw.

All splitters will have two same length parts. But for example Bitfenix splitter has one plug for mobo and two cables from there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

24 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

All splitters will have two same length parts. But for example Bitfenix splitter has one plug for mobo and two cables from there.

Ah I probably need a 3 way one then. 

On 1/12/2017 at 10:49 PM, mamamia88 said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YD7B0M

Buy one of these suckers

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

25 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

OK I found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CLFOK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and bought it. Would that be prefferable to using molex?  Gonna use a sata to molex for the one molex on the top of the case because it's right next to my drives and that seems easy to manage the cables 

Should be fine

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, Energycore said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YD7B0M

Buy one of these suckers

Well damn it won't come in on time. Looks like i got 3 days off right in the window my parts should be showing up. Can't see how long the cable is either. I was just gonna plug the back mounted fan into one and wrap the other 2 behind the motherboard and tape one of these behind the drive cages for the one top mounted fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LBROAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

Well damn it won't come in on time. Looks like i got 3 days off right in the window my parts should be showing up. Can't see how long the cable is either. I was just gonna plug the back mounted fan into one and wrap the other 2 behind the motherboard and tape one of these behind the drive cages for the one top mounted fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LBROAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fine the splitter you linked works as well :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, mamamia88 said:

OK I found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CLFOK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and bought it. Would that be prefferable to using molex?  Gonna use a sata to molex for the one molex on the top of the case because it's right next to my drives and that seems easy to manage the cables 

Thats just perfect.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats just perfect.

Sweet it will be here tomorrow with everything but my power supply. Never order from Newegg with super save shipping btw. I used it for my case and they used UPS because it was so big. Got here next night becauseI live 3 hours from warehouse. PSU has estimated delivery of Wednesday despite being shipped on Friday from Indianapolis and living in fucking Indiana