ASUS R9 270X DirectCU II TOP won't Overclock

Go to solution Solved by weberdarren97,

Yes, and yes. It can't get an accurate reading on amperage draw because it's fluctuating wildly thanks to that terrible power supply. I should have asked you about your power supply at the beginning.

I always thought that my 6300 FX was the bottleneck in my pc but as i saw in some newer games my 270x is so i decide to give it a little boost just to be able to have some fluid 30+ FPS but no matter what i have try this GPU won't overclock although it could easily underclock.

From the stock speed we can see that this particular gpu have above stock speed at 1120mhz Core and 1400mhz memory. I was trying after looking a review of my card that it can go up to 1215mhz Core and 1500mhz memory but here the fun part the card denies to go above 1000mhz core or in some cases 1050mhz lower than the stock non overclocked speeds and not near as my overclocked speeds.

I was trying with AMDs Relive drivers i was trying with MSI Afterburner with ASUS Tweak nothing refuse to go above those speeds. I don't know what else to do so im here for your thoughts!

Speeds from www.techpowerup.com

GPU Clock: 1000 MHz
1070 MHz (+7%)

Boost Clock: 1050 MHz
1120 MHz (+7%)
Memory Clock: 1400 MHz 
5600 MHz effective

Speeds from Asus

• Engine Clock
    GPU Boost Clock : 1120 MHz
    GPU Base Clock : 1050 MHz
  • Memory Clock
    5600 MHz ( 1400 MHz GDDR5 )

1.gif

2.gif

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

I see you're doing this through Global Overdrive... If the program you're using to test your overclock has a profile within Radeon Control Center, make sure the OC settings for its profile match that of the global OC profile you have in the above images.

1215MHz without increasing the power limit? How's it supposed to speed up by 95MHz (not real easy on that card anyway) if you don't allow it to draw enough power?

Step 1: Max out the power limit.

5 minutes ago, weberdarren97 said:

I see you're doing this through Global Overdrive... If the program you're using to test your overclock has a profile within Radeon Control Center, make sure the OC settings for its profile match that of the global OC profile you have in the above images.

The program you mean the game i was playing or the Riva which shows the stats also both riva+hwinfo and crimson shows max 1050mhz

4 minutes ago, weberdarren97 said:

1215MHz without increasing the power limit? How's it supposed to speed up by 95MHz (not real easy on that card anyway) if you don't allow it to draw enough power?

Step 1: Max out the power limit.

Power limit you mean the power control or the voltages???with power control at +20 (max) still the same the voltage i manage to rise it with an older version of asus tweak at 1300 which i think is 1.3v or 13v im not sure still the same mhz!

1 minute ago, Pikachukaki said:

The program you mean the game i was playing or the Riva which shows the stats also both riva+hwinfo and crimson shows max 1050mhz

Okay.

1 minute ago, Pikachukaki said:

Power limit you mean the power control or the voltages???with power control at +20 (max) still the same the voltage i manage to rise it with an older version of asus tweak at 1300 which i think is 1.3v or 13v im not sure still the same mhz!

I mean power control. Right now it's at 0% (+0) which means you're not allowing it to draw more power than the stock design from Asus. Try +20%.

Definitely 1.3V. 13V would fry that thing so fast.

Thanks i will try it!

Okay.

I mean power control. Right now it's at 0% (+0) which means you're not allowing it to draw more power than the stock design from Asus. Try +20%.

Definitely 1.3V. 13V would fry that thing so fast.

Nop nothing +20 power control still 1050

Screenshot_3.png

3.jpg

Well you're doing a really great job of providing me with the information I need to continue assisting you.

CPU usage is below 50%, no CPU bottleneck.

GPU temperature is 57C, not overheating.

It almost has to be a software issue. Start with your drivers.

1 minute ago, weberdarren97 said:

Well you're doing a really great job of providing me with the information I need to continue assisting you.

CPU usage is below 50%, no CPU bottleneck.

GPU temperature is 57C, not overheating.

It almost has to be a software issue. Start with your drivers.

Thanks i know that is special situation and its best to give all the available information. I will try the guide above and comment after this!

Wanna know the funny thing? I'm an Eternal Champion on Tom's Hardware and I hold the badges of Windows 10 Authority, Driver Authority, Graphics Card Master, Overclocking Master, the list goes on. And even with all that knowledge, it took me several hours to get my Asus DC2T card to do what I wanted it to do.

I have never worked with your exact model, but I used to have two of the Asus R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 cards in Crossfire. Getting their clocks to sync at anything above 1100MHz was just a series of recurring headaches. Finally I fresh installed the drivers and suddenly stuff started cooperating. Although it took me several days to dial in an OC of 1185MHz for both cards, I'm proud of that result.

25 minutes ago, weberdarren97 said:

Wanna know the funny thing? I'm an Eternal Champion on Tom's Hardware and I hold the badges of Windows 10 Authority, Driver Authority, Graphics Card Master, Overclocking Master, the list goes on. And even with all that knowledge, it took me several hours to get my Asus DC2T card to do what I wanted it to do.

I have never worked with your exact model, but I used to have two of the Asus R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 cards in Crossfire. Getting their clocks to sync at anything above 1100MHz was just a series of recurring headaches. Finally I fresh installed the drivers and suddenly stuff started cooperating. Although it took me several days to dial in an OC of 1185MHz for both cards, I'm proud of that result.

And then 1215mhz i finally find my solution...run the game poof 1050mhz!!! 

I thought maybe riva or hwinfo causing the GPU to ramp down. Remove them reboot start the crimson 1215mhz yeah i thought run the game go check the crimson 1050mhz FFS.

Im not sure what i need to do more! I even put the fan to 100% maybe cause the GPU was throtteling at 50C nothing still after some time it goes down to 1050mhz.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

So once it starts to do any real work, it's kicking down to 1050MHz? But it's stable 1215MHz when it's not doing much?

Sounds like there's something wrong with your card. Knowing Asus, I would think these would be better quality but the only thing that makes sense after all the info you've provided me is that the power delivery systems on the card itself are not working as well as they should be... Got any warranty left?

So once it starts to do any real work, it's kicking down to 1050MHz? But it's stable 1215MHz when it's not doing much?

Sounds like there's something wrong with your card. Knowing Asus, I would think these would be better quality but the only thing that makes sense after all the info you've provided me is that the power delivery systems on the card itself are not working as well as they should be... Got any warranty left?

No its at 1215mhz for don't know 10-20secs after windows boot then 1050 all day long. Warranty nah i don't think so!

I have another question for you. What is the make and model of your power supply?

corsair vs 405

VS series? It's worse than trying to power your PC off of a literal potato. It's drowning your card in unstable power.

Assuming you're only running a single GPU, the EVGA G2 650 would be my recommendation for your setup.

3 minutes ago, weberdarren97 said:

VS series? It's worse than trying to power your PC off of a literal potato. It's drowning your card in unstable power.

Assuming you're only running a single GPU, the EVGA G2 650 would be my recommendation for your setup.

Yeah??? Shit thats why in the review of this card it said peak consumption 137W and hwinfo give me (for a seconds of running the game) 47W?

Yes, and yes. It can't get an accurate reading on amperage draw because it's fluctuating wildly thanks to that terrible power supply. I should have asked you about your power supply at the beginning.

7 minutes ago, weberdarren97 said:

So my final question is the same as i ask it over at PSU threads!

my PSU isn't enough but im straggling to understand why if this card needs 30A from 12V and my PSU is giving 34A and according to http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator i need for my system 

Amperage (combined)
+3.3V +5V +12V
9.7 A 10.5 A 31.4 A
85 W 377 W

Then why my PSU isn't enough for my System?

EDIT: According to an MSI forum post 270x needs 24A over 12v rail!

Do you really trust the diagrams top show accurate power output on such a low quality unit? I don't see how they could figure out exactly how much power the unit is capable of supplying when the units design doesn't even include a load regulator. Also, most power supplies reach peak stability at about 50-70% load. You're requesting almost 85% of your power supply's output just from the graphics cards, not even counting the CPU and motherboard components.

3 hours ago, weberdarren97 said:

Do you really trust the diagrams top show accurate power output on such a low quality unit? I don't see how they could figure out exactly how much power the unit is capable of supplying when the units design doesn't even include a load regulator. Also, most power supplies reach peak stability at about 50-70% load. You're requesting almost 85% of your power supply's output just from the graphics cards, not even counting the CPU and motherboard components.

Thats nice and i though that buying a corsair i didnt have this problems! Anyway thanks man for your help!!!