3pin vs 4pin question

Roi

For some reason im having an issue understanding the difference. I guess my main concern is with the 3pin fans. With a 3pin fan is the RPM of the fan at max speed and doesn't adjust depending on temps while a 4pin adjust like a cars fan on a radiator? im wanting to get some led fans, but i want them to be able to speed up or slow down depending on the temp and not be at full RPM all the time. forgive me if im not making sense. basically im going to front mount install  a corsair h100i v2 and on the other side of the radiator i want led fans. do those fans need to be PWN along with the radiator fans?

3pin fans are adjusted based on regulating the voltage to the fan based on temperature (if supported by the motherboard)

4pin PWM fans regulate the speed using pulse width modulation, in layman terms turning the thing on and off really quickly. (if supported on a good motherboard)

A good mobo will either work out what type of fan is connected, or have an option to control via pwm or voltage on a 4 pin header.

Cheapo nasty case fans are also sold as 4 pin, and connect directly to molex so be careful when buying.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

3pin fans are adjusted based on regulating the voltage to the fan based on temperature (if supported by the motherboard)

4pin PWM fans regulate the speed using pulse width modulation, in layman terms turning the thing on and off really quickly. (if supported on a good motherboard)

A good mobo will either work out what type of fan is connected, or have an option to control via pwm or voltage on a 4 pin header.

Cheapo nasty case fans are also sold as 4 pin, and connect directly to molex so be careful when buying.

ok thanks! i have a gigabyte z170x-gaming 7. would my mobo be able to do what your saying with a 3pin fan?

1 minute ago, Roi said:

ok thanks! i have a gigabyte z170x-gaming 7. would my mobo be able to do what your saying with a 3pin fan?

it should be able to easily.

Your led fans can be either, depending on the motherboard header you've got available, pwm tends to be better as they have a larger range of control.

Personally, If you just want to leds, buy good pwm led fans and use them instead of the rad fans you've already got, and either use the ran fans somewhere else in the build/case or just put them in a box for later. It's pretty easy to install more fans than really needed, which 'can' (dependent on a lot of things) just lead to extra noise and turbulent air not cooling the system properly.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

11 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

it should be able to easily.

Your led fans can be either, depending on the motherboard header you've got available, pwm tends to be better as they have a larger range of control.

Personally, If you just want to leds, buy good pwm led fans and use them instead of the rad fans you've already got, and either use the ran fans somewhere else in the build/case or just put them in a box for later. It's pretty easy to install more fans than really needed, which 'can' (dependent on a lot of things) just lead to extra noise and turbulent air not cooling the system properly.

Right on. Im wanting to add the Thermaltake Riing fans to the front of my Thermaltake View 27, but like i said. i dont want them on at full blast all the time. Is it better to have the intake fans on the outside of the air filter blowing air into the rad or the fans behind the air filter blowing air into the rad?

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

@Roi

Direction of air flow --> filter -> fan -> rad -> case internals ->exhaust somewhere

ok cool thanks

39 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

@Roi

Direction of air flow --> filter -> fan -> rad -> case internals ->exhaust somewhere

wait, so is the fan pushing or pulling air through the rad?

3 hours ago, Roi said:

It is, but not so easy as competition. Gigabyte is bit lacking in fan control parts. For full feature control on any header which uses controller chip you will need Speedfan. But as you are using AIO, I'd try to use Corsair Link and connect fans to pump for now. If that ends up not working the way you like, you can then go for mobo headers. But take a look at mobos manual before doing anything too radical. Manual will state which headers carry PWM, which are 4pin but don't carry PWM (so work as 3pins) and which have controller.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It is, but not so easy as competition. Gigabyte is bit lacking in fan control parts. For full feature control on any header which uses controller chip you will need Speedfan. But as you are using AIO, I'd try to use Corsair Link and connect fans to pump for now. If that ends up not working the way you like, you can then go for mobo headers. But take a look at mobos manual before doing anything too radical. Manual will state which headers carry PWM, which are 4pin but don't carry PWM (so work as 3pins) and which have controller.

cool thanks!