Computer Committed Port Suicide

Today, my only working computer (atm) decided to kill all the ports. I turned it on, usual whiiirrrr, and I noticed the monitor and everything connected externally did not light up. The keyboard did not light up, the mouse did not light up, and the monitor didnt even try. I took a device that measures USB electricity and it had no current at all. The computer still turns on fine, but nothing connected to it will work. The computer is a Lenovo Erazer X315. So far I'm having a joyous time typing this on a backup Linux computer that is running Kali. Help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by iLenovo
unnecessary word

Roses are red, violets are blue. I enjoy foruming on LinusTechTips too!

Well, I'm not an expert, but I guess you should try resetting the bios, or changing the USB Controller of your Mobo.

OR maybe, just may be. Check if the PSU is all OK, or not. It might have shorted your Ports.

Sakib

Workstation:

CPU: Intel Core i9 7900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72

GPU: ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 1080-A-8G

RAM: 4 * GSkill Trident Z 8GB 3200 MHz

Motherboard: ASUS X299 Rampage VI Extreme

Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200RPM

PSU: Antec Signature PLATINUM 1300W

Case: Plantheks Enthoo Evolv X

Mouse: ROG Gladius II

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite

HomeLab

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K @3.9GHz
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro 240

GPU: ASUS GT 710

RAM: 2 * Corsair LPX 8GB

Motherboard: MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon Edition

Storage: ADATA 240 GB SSD + 3 * 1TB Toshiba HDD + 2 * 2TB Toshiba HDD

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S Series 550W

Case: Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ATX GLASS

Cant really reset bios, as I said, monitor doesnt respond

idk how to check PSU stuff, dont wanna get shocked 

How do you know it is just the ports and not a dead motherboard or something else??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

How do you know it is just the ports and not a dead motherboard or something else??

good point

how do i test that

2 minutes ago, iLenovo said:

good point

how do i test that

First you remove unnecessary stuff like drives and GPUs.

You try a different PSU and see if the PC turns on.

Then you try a different motherboard too.

Or you can take it to a store like NCIX and they will diagnose it for you so you know what to replace.

Or you can buy a new PC, because this one is obviously dead, and no it is not just the ports, it is something much more than that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

okay, allow me to wave 1,000 at best buys face

what couldve caused this to happen?

Wonderful :-) 

Repair cost is more than half the price of the computer. Thanks computer. 

I tried removing the battery and putting it back, singling out parts, but I never heard that freaking life-or-death describing beep. Any recommended prebuilts between 500-750? I dont want to build again :(

7 hours ago, iLenovo said:

Wonderful :-) 

Repair cost is more than half the price of the computer. Thanks computer. 

I tried removing the battery and putting it back, singling out parts, but I never heard that freaking life-or-death describing beep. Any recommended prebuilts between 500-750? I dont want to build again :(

I take it that you're in the US, and have access to Bestbuy. They have a couple moderately priced IBuyPower machines on their shelves that are pretty decent. Just chuck the stupid pseudo gamer grade peripherals in the garbage and you'll have a decent computer for a price that I couldn't beat on PCPartPicker. 

This one here isn't bad but I would check out what they have on their shelves. You can always talk to a geeksquad rep. I know the 5 of them at my local store personally and I would trust all of their suggestions. I would hope that this is the case nationwide, but alas, you have some really stupid people wearing the geeksquad logo on their pants (and shirt, and shoes, and belt, and tie). 

Full disclosure, before becoming an electrician I worked at geeksquad. We spent our time shaking our heads at the stupid PC sales reps and fixing their mistakes. Don't trust a blue shirt. 

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

15 hours ago, Coldfuson said:

I take it that you're in the US, and have access to Bestbuy. They have a couple moderately priced IBuyPower machines on their shelves that are pretty decent. Just chuck the stupid pseudo gamer grade peripherals in the garbage and you'll have a decent computer for a price that I couldn't beat on PCPartPicker. 

This one here isn't bad but I would check out what they have on their shelves. You can always talk to a geeksquad rep. I know the 5 of them at my local store personally and I would trust all of their suggestions. I would hope that this is the case nationwide, but alas, you have some really stupid people wearing the geeksquad logo on their pants (and shirt, and shoes, and belt, and tie). 

Full disclosure, before becoming an electrician I worked at geeksquad. We spent our time shaking our heads at the stupid PC sales reps and fixing their mistakes. Don't trust a blue shirt. 

I was looking into them myself. My parents dont understand that the repair price is so expensive, it'd be cheaper to buy a new PC altogether 

Is this the same computer mentioned in the below thread?

If so, this information only confirms my suspicions of what caused the problem we've been talking about on the other thread.