Hard drive erase

orangebeaver45
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
17 minutes ago, orangebeaver45 said:

Hello I have a quick question its the remove everything a good choice to get everything off of my hard drive so I can put it in a new pc with a ssd as boot drive and that as a storage drive because it is a 1tb of unused space if I just buy a new drive 

ximg_57b0e6ba4bb91.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.6MV0TygHF7.png

This looks like the option in the Reset feature, which, while it will erase everything off the HDD, Windows will reinstall itself onto it.

If you don't want anything on the HDD, plug it into your new computer and reformat it. If you really want to make sure everything's erased, use a secure erase tool (CCleaner has one)

Hello I have a quick question its the remove everything a good choice to get everything off of my hard drive so I can put it in a new pc with a ssd as boot drive and that as a storage drive because it is a 1tb of unused space if I just buy a new drive 

ximg_57b0e6ba4bb91.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.6MV0TygHF7.png

yes, but if you want to keep things like music and documents you should make a backup first. And be aware that the system ist gone as well if you do that!

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

where are you getting this option? This looks like the reset screen, which would reinstall the OS.

I would put it into the new machine as is and use diskpart clean to wipe it. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

What bgibbz said. If this is going to be nothing but a storage drive I'd do a full wipe on it not just a windows factory reset. You can achieve it by diskpart via CMD or go to This PC right click the drive you want to wipe > format > (de-select quick format) > wait patiently for it to finish.

17 minutes ago, orangebeaver45 said:

This looks like the option in the Reset feature, which, while it will erase everything off the HDD, Windows will reinstall itself onto it.

If you don't want anything on the HDD, plug it into your new computer and reformat it. If you really want to make sure everything's erased, use a secure erase tool (CCleaner has one)

18 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

thank you