3 questions

How can I tell when I'm out of ram? I thought I was being my PC is almost always at 74% however today I saw it go to 76%... Idk how to tell when I'm out or w/e.

What % will your ram go to AT cap? I know windows wont use 100%

Does ram limits cause in game stutters? If so how bad? Does it vary per game?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

You'll know when Windows pops up a message saying memory is running low. Til then don't worry.

If you run out of ram in a game you won't have to ask, it won't cause stutters, it will tank your framerate pretty badly. It will vary per game, but it is usually frequent but short lived dives in framerate (if I'm not mistaken).

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

13 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

How can I tell when I'm out of ram? I thought I was being my PC is almost always at 74% however today I saw it go to 76%... Idk how to tell when I'm out or w/e.

What % will your ram go to AT cap? I know windows wont use 100%

Does ram limits cause in game stutters? If so how bad? Does it vary per game?

When you run out of RAM...I believe that the system will start putting excess spill over onto your OS drive be it a SSD or HDD. Whichever, much slower than your RAM speeds. 

You can tell buy just looking at your task manager. 

It could cause stutters. 

Most games run find with 8GB memory. What else do you have going on while you are gaming?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

windows starts to use the swapfile the second it had booted up. When more RAM that is used more data will be transferred to the swapfile. So yes, RAM limits can cause game stutters, allthough thats more of an GPU-RAM issue (which also transfers data to system RAM which then again transfers data to the swapfile). With that beeing said, once you play and your GPU-RAM can't keep up and offloads to the system RAM things will go bananas and you may end up with stutters. Also depends on the game of course.

How much RAM do you have? CPU? GPU? BOARD?

27 minutes ago, incarnate said:

You'll know when Windows pops up a message saying memory is running low. Til then don't worry.

If you run out of ram in a game you won't have to ask, it won't cause stutters, it will tank your framerate pretty badly. It will vary per game, but it is usually frequent but short lived dives in framerate (if I'm not mistaken).

It is short lived but frequent stutters, it varies per game, sometimes it stutters, sometimes it doesn't.

27 minutes ago, Spudbilly said:

When you run out of RAM...I believe that the system will start putting excess spill over onto your OS drive be it a SSD or HDD. Whichever, much slower than your RAM speeds. 

You can tell buy just looking at your task manager. 

It could cause stutters. 

Most games run find with 8GB memory. What else do you have going on while you are gaming?

Streaming 720p30 @ 3500 bitrate with GPU with OBS, multiple browsers open.

26 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

windows starts to use the swapfile the second it had booted up. When more RAM that is used more data will be transferred to the swapfile. So yes, RAM limits can cause game stutters, allthough thats more of an GPU-RAM issue (which also transfers data to system RAM which then again transfers data to the swapfile). With that beeing said, once you play and your GPU-RAM can't keep up and offloads to the system RAM things will go bananas and you may end up with stutters. Also depends on the game of course.

How much RAM do you have? CPU? GPU? BOARD?

Look at sig for hardware

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

4 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Look at sig for hardware

8GB DDR4 / 480 with 8GB / no SSD

1st of all - add an SSD to the system and make it your boot drive, even the crappiest most shitty SSD will bring a huge speedup.

2nd of all - hmmm the rest looks ok, 8GB should be enough unless you are heavy into editing or are running 20 chrome tabs at once. maybe attach some screenshots of your taskmanager. Also have a look in the performance monitor from windows (highly underrated tool tbh.)

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

8GB DDR4 / 480 with 8GB / no SSD

1st of all - add an SSD to the system and make it your boot drive, even the crappiest most shitty SSD will bring a huge speedup.

2nd of all - hmmm the rest looks ok, 8GB should be enough unless you are heavy into editing or are running 20 chrome tabs at once. maybe attach some screenshots of your taskmanager. Also have a look in the performance monitor from windows (highly underrated tool tbh.)

I want an SSD so bad but I can't afford it, I can barely even afford more ram...

CPU

8 hours ago, OnionRings said:

I want an SSD so bad but I can't afford it, I can barely even afford more ram...

I used to have 8gb too. I upgrade to 16gb. For same kind of worklooad. I would not have your Chrome browser open unless it's required for streaming. Maybe lower settings a little ingame could help while you save up for RAM and an ssd. 10$ a week for 3 months will get you either a 120-240gb ssd or 8gb more RAM. Just make sure to buy the same RAM you currently have

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset