Would a Powerline adapter or a wifi card be better for gaming?

SR4_

Hi! I'm currently using a wifi usb adapter but I'm experiencing extremely bad/inconsistent ping. It will go from 30-40ms to 1,000+ in every game! It also jumps up whilst using discord and it is making it impossible to play any sort of online game. I also can't use an ethernet cable directly from my router because it's too far away, so my question to you guys is what would be a better fix, a powerline network adapter or a wifi card? Thanks! :)

i use a powerline network adapter, and its doing fine for me. except i experienced high pings but thats a rare occasion.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

Pros and cons time?

Powerline has the capability to be more stable than wifi in situations where wifi coverage isn't optimal.

Wifi typically has faster transfer speeds.

Wifi is typically far... far easier to fix when issues arise than powerline is. Moving a router is nothing compared to rerouting a houses electrical grid because it was built in the 50's to submodern standards.

Wifi typically has lower latency (ping) being taxed onto your connection, so long as you're on the 5ghz band.

Wifi typically has faster transfer speeds on the 5ghz band as well.

Really it all comes down to, if you can't get a good wifi setup, like you can't get a solid antennae for your router or your router is in a really shit place for signal and there's nothing you can do to boost it, then yes, powerline will offer more stability over wifi. However, for times when you can get a good connection, wifi is still superior (though again, easier to have stability issues with.)

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

@Atmos @Apollo Refugio thank you both! Much more helpful than the asses over at Toms Hardware, I would much more value a consistent 40-50ms than an inconsistent 30, so powerline is the way to go? As I feel like there is a lot of noise between my router and pc

8 minutes ago, SR4_ said:

so powerline is the way to go? As I feel like there is a lot of noise between my router and pc

Well thats the thing powerline could be amazing or it could be total shit, you wont know till you try it. (the newer the house the better your chances)

I use a powerline adapter. It's like they say, you just gotta try it. The worst you have to return it and pay 15% restocking fee. 

My Wifi was faster but dropped too much.

My Powerline was slower, but never dropped.

Both had decent pings for online gaming.

I game, I use the powerline. I don't get spikes, and I enjoy it being more consistant. My pings are usually 50-70ms. Nobody knows your house though, how far the electrical loop is too your router. Mine is pretty damn far. It's worth trying.