Quake in DOS-Box preforming not as expected

Go to solution Solved by Unimportant,
29 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I was born in the 2000's. MS-DOS isn't here more, and got replaced by the far more superior Windows NT kernal. I still like some of the DOS games you found, Like Doom and Quake. I play them in DOSBOX, because I was planning to install Windows 98 on one of my Pentium 4 machines (but I don't think it would have worked out, because I don't have any old GPU's for it). I use a laptop with Integrated Graphics, but It can't be that bad. Im using the first version of Quake (not GL). I don't get quite the performance what I expected. I can play the game (already at the fourth episode (normal)) , but I can't help to notice shuttering. When I bump up the resolution to 800x600, you can see the performance hit. Is this because DOS-Box limits the performance, or is the emulation scene just not good for DOS. Did the original Quake just run that way? I play at 640x400. I use Windows 10 (32-Bit), and the latest DOS-Box version.

First and foremost, there are literally hundreds of quake ports out there for any possible platform, no need to run it in dosbox, there is a port out there that runs natively on your platform, whatever it is.

If you really want to run it trough dosbox, you'll need to edit your Dosbox.conf file and, for starters, enable the dynamic recompiler.

core=dynamic

Then, try setting the cycle speed to a manual value, as the auto does not always work well:

cycles=10000

You can manually increase/decrease cycles with the hotkeys.

There's a document about performance on the Dosbox wiki: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Performance

I was born in the 2000's. MS-DOS isn't here more, and got replaced by the far more superior Windows NT kernal. I still like some of the DOS games you found, Like Doom and Quake. I play them in DOSBOX, because I was planning to install Windows 98 on one of my Pentium 4 machines (but I don't think it would have worked out, because I don't have any old GPU's for it). I use a laptop with Integrated Graphics, but It can't be that bad. Im using the first version of Quake (not GL). I don't get quite the performance what I expected. I can play the game (already at the fourth episode (normal)) , but I can't help to notice shuttering. When I bump up the resolution to 800x600, you can see the performance hit. Is this because DOS-Box limits the performance, or is the emulation scene just not good for DOS. Did the original Quake just run that way? I play at 640x400. I use Windows 10 (32-Bit), and the latest DOS-Box version.

7 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

this is a question likely best answered by the people over at http://www.vogons.org

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

2 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

this is a question likely best answered by the people over at http://www.vogons.org

Oh sorry then, thank you for the link.

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Oh sorry then, thank you for the link.

its fine, I just don't think there's a proper DOS / retro community here to give you a good answer 

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

2 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

its fine, I just don't think there's a proper DOS / retro community here to give you a good answer 

I also thought so. Didn't really see a section here for it.

29 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

First and foremost, there are literally hundreds of quake ports out there for any possible platform, no need to run it in dosbox, there is a port out there that runs natively on your platform, whatever it is.

If you really want to run it trough dosbox, you'll need to edit your Dosbox.conf file and, for starters, enable the dynamic recompiler.

core=dynamic

Then, try setting the cycle speed to a manual value, as the auto does not always work well:

cycles=10000

There's a document about performance on the Dosbox wiki: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Performance

42 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

core=dynamic

cycles=10000

That's an important point. DOSBox starts at 3000MHz by default in my computer, which makes some games unplayable, but I manually (Ctrl+F12) increase it to around 18K and the same game flies.

18 hours ago, Unimportant said:

core=dynamic

cycles=10000

17 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's an important point. DOSBox starts at 3000MHz by default in my computer, which makes some games unplayable, but I manually (Ctrl+F12) increase it to around 18K and the same game flies.

Thank you all for the help. Got Quake running well. I know I can get Quake for Windows, and a opengl version, but I would like to play the original one, just like it is. And I also like inputting DOS commands...