Enthoo Luxe Case Fan vs ML140 Pro LED

Omie

I'm debating whether to replace the rear 140mm case fan of my Enthoo Luxe or not because I want to match my Red LED's with the rest of my setup. I was planning on getting the ML140 Pro LED (Red) to replace the case fan with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K64GH5728

This is the 140mm rear fan that the case comes with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709023&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Case+Fans-_-N82E16835709023&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJr9m3KVSbJog61CIzm3_v1xlqRTEWfZUMRYIFYjidK0saAsga8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

In terms of noise and also cooling ability, which fan is better?

Also, a small question is anyone can help: 

If I do decide to replace my case fan with the ML140 Pro, could I connect my ML140 Pro fan to the Enthoo Luxe's PWM hub (hub is powered by 12V SATA) even though the hub takes 3 pin fans and my ML140 Pro's are 4 pin PWM? I then plan on taking the 4 pin cable that controls all the fans in the hub and then plug it into a chassis fan header on my mobo which is full PWM. The only other fan connected to the PWM hub is the 200mm front case fan which is 3pin, so it isn't PWM.

Can I do that and have full PWM control for all the fans connected to the PWM hub, even the front case fan that isn't PWM since it is 3pin? Basically, I also want to know, does the PWM hub actually convert the 3pin fans connected to it into full PWM if the hub is connected to a motherboard header that has full PWM control?

Here is what the hub looks like (powered by 12V SATA):

17.jpg

if its not 4 pin it can't be pwm hub as far as i know...

this is a pwm hub that im planning to get for example: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002702

im using 2 ml120 in my system. theyre quiet until 60-65% well, you wouldnt wanna use them at 100% anyways. no fan can be quiet at 2400rpm. probably better than any fan except noctuas...

it would be fine if that hub is pwm, but im not sure about that.

3 hours ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

this is a pwm hub that im planning to get for example: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002702

im using 2 ml120 in my system. theyre quiet until 60-65% well, you wouldnt wanna use them at 100% anyways. no fan can be quiet at 2400rpm. probably better than any fan except noctuas...

it would be fine if that hub is pwm, but im not sure about that.

Oh, so basically there is no way to convert a 3pin fan into a 4pin PWM?

If not, then I'll just replace the rear fan with an ML140 pro and then connect it directly to my first chassis fan header which is true PWM. Then the only fan left in my case is my front 200mm fan which is connected and powered at the PWM hub. Then I'll just connect the 4pin PWM hub cable to my other chassis fan header which is also true PWM. Even though my 200mm fan won't be full PWM since it's 3pin, the maximum rpm for it is 850 +- 250, which is not that loud at all, and since it's on the PWM hub, I'll be able to control it.

Does that sound good?

Here is a rundown:

CHA_FAN1: Directly connected to ML140 Pro 

CHA_FAN2: Connected via 4pin PWM hub cable (which holds the 3pin 200mm front fan).

1 hour ago, Omie said:

Oh, so basically there is no way to convert a 3pin fan into a 4pin PWM?

It's not the same and ML fans should be run off of a 4pin header with pwm.

The stock PH-F140SP is pretty good and the ML140 Pro probably isn't that much of an upgrade asides from a higher max rpm. That being said, I haven't directly compared the two.

4 hours ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

It's a pwm hub but there are different types of pwm.

The hub takes a 4pin pwm signal and changes it to one that works for 3pin and most 4pin fans. This pwm signal is different in that it doesn't let the fan IC determine how power is delivered to the motor like how 4pin pwm fans usually work. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's not the same and ML fans should be run off of a 4pin header with pwm.

The stock PH-F140SP is pretty good and the ML140 Pro probably isn't that much of an upgrade asides from a higher max rpm. That being said, I haven't directly compared the two.

It's a pwm hub but there are different types of pwm.

The hub takes a 4pin pwm signal and changes it to one that works for 3pin and most 4pin fans. This pwm signal is different in that it doesn't let the fan IC determine how power is delivered to the motor like how 4pin pwm fans usually work. 

Oh so basically just directly plug the ML140 into a true PWM chassis fan header, and then take the 3pin 200mm front fan and plug it into the PWM hub then take the 4pin cable from the hub and plug it into another chassis fan header that is also true PWM?

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Oh so basically just directly plug the ML140 into a true PWM chassis fan header, and then take the 3pin 200mm front fan and plug it into the PWM hub then take the 4pin cable from the hub and plug it into another chassis fan header that is also true PWM?

You could do that. What motherboard do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You could do that. What motherboard do you have?

Asus Z270 Maximus IX Formula

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Asus Z270 Maximus IX Formula

I can't see any manual on their website for the board but I assume that should be fine. 

I can't see any manual on their website for the board but I assume that should be fine. 

Yeah the manual isn't up yet but I'm pretty sure all the fan headers are true PWM since it's a pretty high end board.

Ok, I'll plug the ML140 directly into the first chassis fan header. The 200mm 3pin front fan will be plugged into the PWM hub and the 4pin cable from the PWM hub will be directly connected to the second chassis fan header.

Thanks for the help!

Which fan is better in terms of cooling performance and noise?

I want to replace my stock case fan which is the PH-F140SP with an ML140 Pro (red led) because I want my LED's to match but I don't want to lose performance incase the Phanteks stock fan is better.

Is it this one?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Oh you mean this one

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140SP.html

Well you're not going to get more performance if it's just a case fan. The ML140 spins faster and thus moves more air but is more noisy. Since it's a stock fan I take it you're on an Enthoo Pro so if you want to get the Corsair fan, do it for aesthetics and not performance.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh you mean this one

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140SP.html

Well you're not going to get more performance if it's just a case fan. The ML140 spins faster and thus moves more air but is more noisy. Since it's a stock fan I take it you're on an Enthoo Pro so if you want to get the Corsair fan, do it for aesthetics and not performance.

Well the only reason I want it is because the fans on my H115i are the same ML140's. And I want to get the ML140 to match.

The ML140 is 4pin PWM so it shouldn't be louder than the Phanteks stock fan since I can just control it right?

16 minutes ago, Omie said:

Well the only reason I want it is because the fans on my H115i are the same ML140's. And I want to get the ML140 to match.

The ML140 is 4pin PWM so it shouldn't be louder than the Phanteks stock fan since I can just control it right?

Yeah you can control it, so it won't be louder if you don't want it to

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Omie said:

PWM and DC are just different ways to power a fan. Either can be controlled just fine and PWM fans aren't necessarily quieter than DC fans.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

PWM and DC are just different ways to power a fan. Either can be controlled just fine and PWM fans aren't necessarily quieter than DC fans.

Oh ok. Well doesn't the RPM determine the dBA level? With PWM you can just control the rpm to be lower right?

3 minutes ago, Omie said:

Oh ok. Well doesn't the RPM determine the dBA level? With PWM you can just control the rpm to be lower right?

Many factors regarding the design on a fan will affect how it sounds. RPM does play a role in how loud a fan is. 

Reread my previous post. 

Many factors regarding the design on a fan will affect how it sounds. 

Reread my previous post. 

Oh. Hmm, is there a chart somewhere which shows the RPM to dBA levels of the PH-140SP and the ML140 Pro?

15 minutes ago, Omie said:

Oh. Hmm, is there a chart somewhere which shows the RPM to dBA levels of the PH-140SP and the ML140 Pro?

RPM is arbitrary. You should be looking at performance to noise instead. 

Shouldn't you already know how they sound since you mentioned that you had ML140's on your H115i? 

You're not going to lose performance with ML140's if you don't mind having more noise. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

RPM is arbitrary. You should be looking at performance to noise instead. 

Shouldn't you already know how they sound since you mentioned that you had ML140's on your H115i? 

I haven't even built my computer yet lol. I'm still waiting for the rest of my parts to arrive.

I'm sure it will sound fine though, I'm not too worried. I might just end up putting the 140mm stock fan on the bottom as an intake in my Enthoo Luxe, but the only thing that sucks is I'll have to lose the PSU shroud.