My first pc build

Hello guys, hope you all have a great start for 2017.

I've been saving up money for some time now and I'm finally ready to build myself a good pc. I've been playing with computers since i was 10 years old, my first pc was a 386, and I always had a low>mid type of computer. All the games I've played worked well on medium quality with an avrage of 30-40fps, so I'm used with avrage performance. I've watched a lot a youtube videos (mainly from linus) and read all sorts of articles about how you should build a pc. I have a basic level of knowledge, but beeing my first time i'm still a bit nervous and unsure. That's why I came here for help.

My purpose is to obtain a performant desktop pc, that I could use years from now. I'm looking for a smart build, without spending ridiculous ammount of money. The computer will be used for video games (the desired quality level is High, I don't aim for Ultra settings for all the games) and Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, After Effects) because I'm a designer. I did some research for parts that would stay in my ~1700$ budget. Here are the specs:

Case: NZXT S340 Razer Special Edition

Procesor: i7 6700k - 40ghz Skylake

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 - 6gb, DDR5, 192bit

Motherboard: Asus Z170a

RAM: Hyperx Predator black 16GB-DDR4-3000mhz-cl15

SSD: Intel 540S 240GB

HDD: WD 1TB 7200rpm

Powersource: Crosair VS650

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Now, I have some problems regarding the powersource, I'm not 100% sure about it. I did calculate the required power on the coolmaster website and various other, and it came up to 600w. A 650w powersource will do just fine?

And the other one, I just saw the new Z2xx Asus boards and the new Kaby Lake processors. I read that the processors do not represent that big of a uppgrade in contrast with the 6700k, but i'm not that sure about the motherboard.

If you have any advice or any opinion, do tell. It would really help me to hear the opinion of someone more experienced than me.

Thank you, have a great day!

Hi! A couple comments on your build.

- That PSU is pretty bad. Don't get it, there are better options and if you tell me where you'll buy I'll find the best one for you

- The Intel 540s SSD is also not great, look for an Adata SP550 or PNY CS1311

- Look for an RX 480 4GB or 8GB, it might be significantly cheaper than the 1060 depending on your country. And as of today they're on par with each other give or take.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

PSU is meant for home office type builds. Not high-performance gaming PCs. Grab yourself a EVGA G2, G3, or P2, or a Seasonic/XFX PSU. Whichever is cheapest in your locale.

idk

7 minutes ago, theschmidt said:

Procesor: i7 6700k - 40ghz

Nasa's overclock.

On a serious note, that power supply is a piece of crap. It's horrible. It's one of the worst power supplies you can get (excluding tiny companies that nobody really knows). Try to find something from the first three tiers here-

Also, you could improve the balance of your build. Get a cheaper Z170 motherboard and a Core i5 6600k instead, and replace the GTX 1060 with a GTX 1070. You can also save more money by getting cheaper RAM and a cheaper 240GB SSD.

This would do better

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($85.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($83.29 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card  ($580.66 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition STEEL ATX Mid Tower Case  ($133.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.37 @ Jet) 
Total: $1562.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-09 04:20 EST-0500

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

This would do better

snipped a US build

Look at the time person, this is probably a non-US human

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Look at the time person, this is probably a non-US human

Yeah but it's 4:22am here too 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah but it's 4:22am here too 

Oh shit I should have gone to sleep already

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Haha, that's right. A non-US human here indeed. A eastern-europe-human to be more exact.

Also, WOW. I did not expect these many answers in just 8min, you guys are great! Keep them comming! I will carefully read all your comments.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

The Seasonic M12ii 520w should be about $25 cheaper, if OP needs to save a few bucks.

Also, nobody's factoring in Windows, peripherals, or a display. @theschmidt- you need all of those to get your PC up and running. I would highly recommend a UPS as well.

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh shit I should have gone to sleep already

So like this for cheaper? 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Jet) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($398.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.98 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1082.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-09 04:34 EST-0500

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Also, nobody's factoring in Windows, peripherals, or a display

I have Windows and peripherals and I will buy a second display later on, for now I have a 23" AOC.

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($398.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video cards destroy me ;__; the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 is 550$ here and the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 is 800$. Not sure if shipping from Amazon or other EU stores will help, plus I don't actually trust long distance delivery :/

1 hour ago, theschmidt said:

Video cards destroy me ;__; the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 is 550$ here and the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 is 800$. Not sure if shipping from Amazon or other EU stores will help, plus I don't actually trust long distance delivery :/

Where do you live? I can find deals there.

54 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Where do you live? I can find deals there.

Bucharest, Romania

3 minutes ago, theschmidt said:

Bucharest, Romania

Got any Romanian sites for PC parts? Also, what's your budget in the Romanian currency?

Got any Romanian sites for PC parts? Also, what's your budget in the Romanian currency?

@Aereldor the most popular stores are emag.ro, pcgarage.ro, cel.ro, evomag.ro. In romanian curency, I would have arround 6500RON to spend.

edit: pcgarage.ro is the store I used. I bought my laptop and other parts from them, and I'm verry satisfied with them.

8 hours ago, theschmidt said:

the most popular stores are emag.ro, pcgarage.ro, cel.ro, evomag.ro. In romanian curency, I would have arround 6500RON to spend.

edit: pcgarage.ro is the store I used. I bought my laptop and other parts from them, and I'm verry satisfied with them.

quote people so they know

20 hours ago, theschmidt said:

@Aereldor the most popular stores are emag.ro, pcgarage.ro, cel.ro, evomag.ro. In romanian curency, I would have arround 6500RON to spend.

Used PCGarage.RO. @deXxterlab97- don't go to the trouble; it's a ton of effort.

• Core i7 6700k
  • Hyper 212 EVO
  • ASRock Z170 Pro4
  • Inno3D GTX 1080
  • 120GB Sandisk SSD
  • 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD
  • Corsair 100R
  • SeaSonic S12ii 620W
  • TOTAL: 6538.55 RON

Cosul tau de cumparaturi

Produs Cantitate Pret unitar Pret total
Sursa Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W

Sursa Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W

Stoc magazin suficient

Iti recomandam urmatorul serviciu aditional pentru acest produs:Testare produs - 59,49 RON

Sterge 344,99 RON 344,99 RON
Cooler CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Cooler CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Stoc magazin suficient

Iti recomandam urmatorul serviciu aditional pentru acest produs:Testare produs - 59,49 RON

Sterge 155,87 RON 155,87 RON
Hard disk WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB

Hard disk WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB

Stoc magazin suficient

Sterge 269,99 RON 269,99 RON
Carcasa Corsair Carbide 100R

Carcasa Corsair Carbide 100R

In stoc furnizor

Sterge 262,43 RON 262,43 RON
Procesor Intel Skylake, Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz box

Procesor Intel Skylake, Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz box

Stoc magazin suficient

Sterge 1.883,46 RON 1.883,46 RON
Placa de baza ASRock Z170 Pro4

Placa de baza ASRock Z170 Pro4

Stoc magazin limitat

Iti recomandam urmatoarele servicii aditionale pentru acest produs:Update de BIOS - 29,74 RONTestare produs - 59,49 RON

Sterge 549,37 RON 549,37 RON
SSD SanDisk SSD Plus Series v2 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch

SSD SanDisk SSD Plus Series v2 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch

Intreaba stoc

Sterge 221,67 RON 221,67 RON
Placa video Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 iChill X3 8GB DDR5X 256-bit

Placa video Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 iChill X3 8GB DDR5X 256-bit

Stoc magazin limitat

Sterge 3.092,44 RON 3.092,44 RON
Discount Sursa S12II-620 Bronze 620W -65,00 RON
Discount Hard disk Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB -26,00 RON
Discount Procesor Skylake, Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz box: 8,00% -150,68 RON
Economisesti in total -241,68 RON
Total cos: 6.538,55 RON

@Aereldo  you're a king man, thanks alot. I'll take a look at all the pieces. I have a couple of questions and things to point out.

- will the cpu cooler do the trick? I don't intend to overclock the cpu.

- do all the video cards that have the "vrready" tag represent the best of the best on the market? I don't intend to "use" the VR part, to say so. Is VR something that just comes along with high performance graphic video card?

- also, this is the first time i see a videocard from inoo3D, i have to do some research on it.

- the motherboard looks great, it's cheeper and as good as the Asus 170A

- for the power source looks good, I will see if i cand find something similar but modular or semi-modular

- the case looks good. My first option was the NZXT S340 Razer edition (not because razer fanboi, but the matte finish. i would chose the basic s340 but i hate the metal finish)

Overall, a great build. The only thing i'm not sure about is the video card. It seems way to expensive (it's 50% of the total price xD) but i will keep researching. Mabye this is the way it has to be.

Again, Thank you a lot!

9 minutes ago, theschmidt said:

@Aereldo  you're a king man, thanks alot. I'll take a look at all the pieces. I have a couple of questions and things to point out.

- will the cpu cooler do the trick? I don't intend to overclock the cpu.

- do all the video cards that have the "vrready" tag represent the best of the best on the market? I don't intend to "use" the VR part, to say so. Is VR something that just comes along with high performance graphic video card?

- also, this is the first time i see a videocard from inoo3D, i have to do some research on it.

- the motherboard looks great, it's cheeper and as good as the Asus 170A

- for the power source looks good, I will see if i cand find something similar but modular or semi-modular

- the case looks good. My first option was the NZXT S340 Razer edition (not because razer fanboi, but the matte finish. i would chose the basic s340 but i hate the metal finish)

Overall, a great build. The only thing i'm not sure about is the video card. It seems way to expensive (it's 50% of the total price xD) but i will keep researching. Mabye this is the way it has to be.

Again, Thank you a lot!

• You should overclock the CPU, and the cooler is fine for that.
  • This graphics card is currently the most powerful GPU on the market besides the Titan XP (which too stupidly expensive for me to consider). 'VR Ready' doesn't mean much, as the Oculus Rift now runs with fairly modest GPUs like the GTX 1050 Ti.
  • It's not hard to cool a 1080 with three fans. However, look up some reviews.
  • That motherboard is great. ASRock has been bringing some serious value to the market with their Z170 and now Z270 motheboards, and they don't have glaring problems like the Z97 ASRock boards.
  • Get that power supply. It's a steal, and anyone who knows Power Supplies can vouch for its quality.
  • Get the H440/S340 if you want. All three cases have ample room to hide spare cables, so I wouldn't worry about getting a modular power supply unless you want custom cables.

The GTX 1080 will probably cost half of the entire build anyway. The card goes for $600 US, which is approximately what this CPU, Cooler, HDD, SSD, Case, and PSU put together will cost. It's not unnatural for a graphics card to be the most expensive component in a PC by a huge margin.

@Aereldor good answers. I will do my research. I will also check the size and all that for the nzxt case. Thanks for all your help!

@Aereldor well done. though I would try and cheap out on somewhere and get a better cooler than Evo. It is fine though

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

@Aereldor well done. though I would try and cheap out on somewhere and get a better cooler than Evo. It is fine though

I had the better Gammaxx 400 there, but the Blue LEDs don't go with the motherboard. The 212 EVO should be good enough to get a 6700k anywhere from 4.5 to 4.8 GHz.

2 hours ago, theschmidt said:

@Aereldor good answers. I will do my research. I will also check the size and all that for the nzxt case. Thanks for all your help!

If you're looking for a good semi mod psu I would recommend the cx550m or maybe even a more wattage cxm