At what price would you seriously consider buying Zen? (Poll)

Assuming the relative prices are consistent against Intel (4-core is as cheap/expensive for a 4-core as the 8-core is for an 8-core)...  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What price for the 8-core would make you seriously consider Zen?

• $1200 (Oh geez...)
    • $1000
    • $800
    • $700
    • $600
    • $500
    • $400
    • $300

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

How? I pick on all brands, and love and own them all. 

But... $600 for an 8-core part, and you'd choose Intel?

EDIT: By chance did you miss when I said the price scales to the part? So if the 8-core is roughly half the price of Intel's 8-core, then the 4-core is roughly half the price of Intel's flagship consumer chip.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

But... $600 for an 8-core part, and you'd choose Intel?

Because it's not just the CPU. It's the platform. Ryzen has fewer lanes, has only two memory channels, those kinds of things mean as much as cores.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Because it's not just the CPU. It's the platform. Ryzen has fewer lanes, has only two memory channels, those kinds of things mean as much as cores.

But its specs are better than Intels' consumer platform, which you're currently on. Though if it's either upgrade to Zen or upgrade to X99, I guess that's understandable.

I actually was rather surprised, and a bit disappointed, when I heard the specs for the platform. They were hyping up the chip to be better than Intel's enthusiast chips, saying they're back in the game at the high end, blah blah blah, and then their platform is... Squarely in the middle? What the hell?

3 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

But its specs are better than Intels' consumer platform, which you're currently on. Though if it's either upgrade to Zen or upgrade to X99, I guess that's understandable.

I actually was rather surprised, and a bit disappointed, when I heard the specs for the platform. They were hyping up the chip to be better than Intel's enthusiast chips, saying they're back in the game at the high end, blah blah blah, and then their platform is... Squarely in the middle? What the hell?

I'm actually excited it's in the middle, I need the middle. But I won't pay enthusiast pricing for the middle. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Realistically, I just upgraded so I'm not really in the market right now.

However If I was looking then $700 for the 8 core and stepping down in $200 increments.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

As long as the Z170 board received a BIOS update to support Kaby Lake, it will work fine.

Hmmm..  I'd have to check if my Z170X Gaming 7 mb has gotten an update for that.  ?

It seems it has a bios update for this.  I assume that what it means by next generation CPU.  

Spoiler

image.png

lol at all the people who are so naive they think a 8c/16t is ever going to be sold at 300$. I want that which you are smoking. Because if that is your metric of "zen being good", then i need to smoke the same before i think about buying another Intel product.

It really does confuse me how people are saying Zen has to be less than half as expensive as Intel.