Windows 10 Link Aggregation

Emmien

About a week ago, I ran several more Ethernet cables around my house.

I setup NIC Teaming on my PC, and it was working brilliantly. Transfer speeds to my NAS improved by a lot.

On Thursday, my PC did an update. Then I had no internet connection. The bond Ethernet adapter had disappeared. I tried running the PowerShell command again, but it came up with an error.

So it looks like Microsoft removed support for LACP NIC Teaming in an update. The update may have been a few months old, because it was probably only the 3rd or 4th time that I had restarted my computer since reinstalling Windows 10.

Both network interfaces are Realtek. One is on the motherboard, and the other is on USB 3.0.

Apparently, Realtek have a driver which allows link aggregation/trunking. I tried to install it, it installs correctly but I don't see any software or another driver to choose from control panel.

Surely someone on here uses Link Aggregation on their desktop computer, and is also affected. What should I do?

Windows 10 and Link Aggregation was never actually supported, you must have been running quite an old build of Windows 10 since even thought the powershell cmdlets exist in Windows 10 they have not worked for a very long time.

There's multiple threads on the Intel and Microsoft forums about this and is still currently not supported. It is also unlikely to ever be supported, Microsoft wants to you use SMB3 multichannel which is all well and good but most NAS's run Linux and therefore SAMBA and that has only just gotten experimental support for it and most NAS vendors have yet to even update their versions of SAMBA to the latest build.

As @leadeater mentioned, it was never supported officially in Windows 10.  It was in all the insider builds and previews but recently got binned, If memory serves it was in the anniversary update that got rid of it.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply