h440 replacing stock fans

Go to solution Solved by jinscho,

Before you buy, I have this case with the stock fans and while the case may LOOK very restrictive.. it's actually pretty open (especially with some of the hard drive trays removed.  I'd give it a shot with the FN-v2s before spending the extra money.

I'm going to buy NZXT H440 (New Edition Silent Ultra) white case and it comes with 3x 120mm fans in front and 1x 140mm on the rear. The case is lovely but has somewhat restricted airflow in the front and on the top. I'm going to use Kraken X62 AIO cooler on top. Would replacing the front 120mm stock fans with NZXT's new Aer-P static fans do any notable difference?

Case: here
Aer P fans:  here

Thank you in advance! 

It depends really, if you get the "specs" of them and compare them you could find out, although I dont know what the fans are that come with it, could just be debranded versions of their other fans

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

(3 x 120mm FN V2 Fans Included) 

Read from there site, see if you can the pressure value of them and compare it to the aers.

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

Aer-P

Fan Airflow Aer P120: 18.28~73.11 CFM
Aer P140: 27.27~98.17 CFM
Fan Air Pressure Aer P120: 0.18~2.93mm-H2O
Aer P140: 0.21~2.71mm-H2O

FN V2

Fan Airflow 45 CFM
Fan Air Pressure 0.9 mm - H2O

Before you buy, I have this case with the stock fans and while the case may LOOK very restrictive.. it's actually pretty open (especially with some of the hard drive trays removed.  I'd give it a shot with the FN-v2s before spending the extra money.

39 minutes ago, jinscho said:

Thank you! I don't know much about the fans so hearing this from you (as you own the case yourself) surely helps me out. I will wait and see before buying anything that might be useless. Have you liked the case so far? I want it too because it looks really nice and tidy and is not too big either.

Thank you for all the replies!

2 hours ago, Edea said:

Thank you! I don't know much about the fans so hearing this from you (as you own the case yourself) surely helps me out. I will wait and see before buying anything that might be useless. Have you liked the case so far? I want it too because it looks really nice and tidy and is not too big either.

Thank you for all the replies!

I'm extremely happy with the case so far and can only think of two things I would change -

1 - a little more room behind the motherboard tray for cable management.  I did my best to flatten everything down and there are plenty of anchor points, but closing the case left a few very small tears in the sound dampening material.

2 - better access to the basement.  It was a VERY tight squeeze to plug in my modular PSU cables.  Granted I could have unscrewed the PSU mounting bracket and slid it out to gain better access, so this is a minor issue.

I have this case as well.  My only complaint is that it is heavy but ill take heavy over flimsy any day.  

I have not replaced the stock fans yet but am thinking about it too.  My complaint is they do not have any variability.  Yes they are very quiet but they can't ramp up when under heavy load.  

I have an H100i V2 mounted at the top.  I am wondering if the way the top is made (3 X 120) that the air running through the rad is just recycling in to the case through the open 120.  I am not seeing CPU temps I think i should be seeing with that cooler.  

I would like to know if anyone else has seen this or what you end up doing.  Please report back.  

6 minutes ago, djmoney said:

I have this case as well.  My only complaint is that it is heavy but ill take heavy over flimsy any day.  

I have not replaced the stock fans yet but am thinking about it too.  My complaint is they do not have any variability.  Yes they are very quiet but they can't ramp up when under heavy load.  

I have an H100i V2 mounted at the top.  I am wondering if the way the top is made (3 X 120) that the air running through the rad is just recycling in to the case through the open 120.  I am not seeing CPU temps I think i should be seeing with that cooler.  

I would like to know if anyone else has seen this or what you end up doing.  Please report back.  

Current Temps with EVERYTHING on silent operation.

2017-01-06 14_20_01-.png

I have an H110i GTX mounted at the top and I can feel the air flowing out the top of the case, definitely not recycling it on my end.

2 minutes ago, jinscho said:

I have an H110i GTX mounted at the top and I can feel the air flowing out the top of the case, definitely not recycling it on my end.

I have I7 6700K  Idle - Low usage I am seeing 35 - 45 but am getting random single core spikes to 50 or 60 and the cores change.  Under heavy load 80c+.  

I use to have a I7950 on a H60.  That would idle @27 and under load for 12+ hours rendering sit a 60c.  

I don't feel the exhaust that why I think its recycling.  I guess i could just get some painter tape and cover the fan mount.  

18 minutes ago, djmoney said:

I have I7 6700K  Idle - Low usage I am seeing 35 - 45 but am getting random single core spikes to 50 or 60 and the cores change.  Under heavy load 80c+.  

I use to have a I7950 on a H60.  That would idle @27 and under load for 12+ hours rendering sit a 60c.  

I don't feel the exhaust that why I think its recycling.  I guess i could just get some painter tape and cover the fan mount.  

I would try re-seating the cooler and triple checking all of your connections before taping it off.  Those are pretty high numbers for a newer chip on that cooler.  My X3450 is a few generations old now and I'm getting MUCH better temps than that.

1 hour ago, jinscho said:

I'm extremely happy with the case so far and can only think of two things I would change -

1 - a little more room behind the motherboard tray for cable management.  I did my best to flatten everything down and there are plenty of anchor points, but closing the case left a few very small tears in the sound dampening material.

2 - better access to the basement.  It was a VERY tight squeeze to plug in my modular PSU cables.  Granted I could have unscrewed the PSU mounting bracket and slid it out to gain better access, so this is a minor issue.

1 hour ago, djmoney said:

Thank you for helping me out guys! Just ordered the case, CPU, motherboard and the Kraken X62 ^^ Here's my full list if you're interested: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NDZnXH

2 minutes ago, Edea said:

Thank you for helping me out guys! Just ordered the case, CPU, motherboard and the Kraken X62 ^^ Here's my full list if you're interested: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NDZnXH

Very nice!  Good luck with the new system!

1 minute ago, jinscho said:

Very nice!  Good luck with the new system!

Thank you!