Looking for better wifi range without using a wireless repeater

Whypatch

I basically am looking to improve the reach of my wifi signal by using something that I can plug an ethernet cable from the wall into, which transmits the wireless signal in another part of the house. I don't want to use a wireless repeater such as this: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Extender-Essentials-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483680877&sr=1-1&keywords=range+extenders

What is the thing that I'm looking for called? Do I need to buy a second router in order to transmit my wireless signal from another source besides the one provided by my ISP?

PowerLine?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

PowerLine?

I don't need to use powerline as the other side of the house has an ethernet hookup. I'm purely looking for something to spread wireless signal

10 minutes ago, Whypatch said:

I basically am looking to improve the reach of my wifi signal by using something that I can plug an ethernet cable from the wall into, which transmits the wireless signal in another part of the house. I don't want to use a wireless repeater such as this: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Extender-Essentials-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483680877&sr=1-1&keywords=range+extenders

What is the thing that I'm looking for called? Do I need to buy a second router in order to transmit my wireless signal from another source besides the one provided by my ISP?

It sounds like you'll need to use a powerline adapter to take the data from your modem through the wiring in your house and into the other powerline adapter which would then be connected to a wireless access point.

EDIT: Just saw your latest comment and all you need to do then is to plug a wireless access point into the Ethernet jack on the other side of the house and it should work fine.

Just now, zMeul said:

Access Point

repeaters aren't a good idea

Any recommendations for an access point? Looking to spend around $75 or less here 

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

PowerLine?

I dont think you read his post at all. You see, he is asking for an access point. He already has ethernet jacks. He doesnt need more.

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

It sounds like you'll need to use a powerline adapter to take the data from your modem through the wiring in your house and into the other powerline adapter which would then be connected to a wireless access point.

Holy crap read his post. HE ALREADY HAS ETHERNET. HE NEEDS AN ACCESS POINT.

Anyway, like I said before, you are looking for an access point. It creates or expands a wifi network. Access points are different from routers in that they have no firewall, routing, or NAT. They pretty much just convert ethernet to wifi. I suggest you get the https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY

It will allow you to extend your wifi network. Keep in mind that without 2 of the same access points, you will not be able to just extend your wifi signal. You will be creating a different network.

Edited by tt2468
k den

My native language is C++

2 minutes ago, Whypatch said:

Any recommendations for an access point? Looking to spend around $75 or less here 

I made mine from an old router

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

I dont think you read his post at all. You see, he is asking for an access point. He already has ethernet jacks. He doesnt need more.

Holy crap read his post. HE ALREADY HAS ETHERNET. HE NEEDS AN ACCESS POINT.

Anyway, like I said before, you are looking for an access point. It creates or expands a wifi network. Access points are different from routers in that they have no firewall, routing, or NAT. They pretty much just convert ethernet to wifi. I suggest you get the https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY

It will allow you to extend your wifi network. Keep in mind that without 2 of the same access points, you will not be able to just extend your wifi signal. You will be creating a different network.

Thank you very much! This is basically exactly what I was looking for. 

Just now, Whypatch said:

Thank you very much! This is basically exactly what I was looking for. 

If/when you get it, you will use software called unifi. It will allow you to configure the hardware. Remember: It doesn't need to run all the time, as long as you only have one access point.

My native language is C++

2 hours ago, Austinkastner said:

You can build an Mikrotik router

2 hours ago, Austinkastner said:

It it can reach up to 10,000sq

OP is looking to spend ~$75 dollars, this wouldn't work within those parameters. 10,000 square feet is a huge distance. That's essentially larger than someone running a baseball diamond. With walls, interference, etc... it won't nearly be that range, and that sounds like 2.4GHz. Even so, I cannot find anything of someone accomplishing this with Mikrotik. Potentially if the antennas are directional... with a wider degree than a P2P link.

OP is best off with the UAP-AC-LITE within his budget. 

Regards,

Remix

Please (@mention) my username. Otherwise I may not see your message!