Why the hate on windows 8?

91wow

I just want to know why people are hating on windows 8, i have used every windows OS since 2000 and windows 8 is very solid, so why the hate? There really isn't much wrong with it you can run the argument that "it's made for touch screens" but from a desktop there is nothing you can't do that you can on a tablet or touch screen.

It's a law.

Every version of Windows, including Windows 7, people bitch and moan like no tomorrow about new features. People wants change but they hate change.

The hate on Windows 8 is the same as Windows 95... the learning curve. The advantage that Microsoft had with Win95, is that you didnt' have the internet. And computers were only used by people that like new technology inherently, and like and appreciate change, and are willing, with excitement, to learn something new. Now people changed. Experts, computer enthusiasts, included people on this very forum, no longer have this vision, mixed with a vocal online presence, and """tech journalists""" knowing nothing, write sensationalist

style articles bashing Windows and Microsoft, as it attract clicks, instead of providing proper feedback, and as many of these journalist are Mac users, they are very bias against Microsoft. Like how sites markes down the Surface tablet because "you can't use it on your lap", and you see the reviewers sitting the most awkward position possible, and move they legs, purposely trying to drop the surface, and go "You see! you can't. Fail! lol! 3/10". We still have people use XP, because they think Windows 7 is still the worse OS ever, because the new task bar, and teh changes it carries from Vista, ignoring 100% of the upsides of both OS, and not even willing to really, seriously, try the new OS and see how better the new way is. They just look at pictures and guesses. People called Windows new task-bar identical in every way to MacOS. Well, it's completely different than MacOS

The average consumer listens to these experts and people like us, as they are our parents, friends, and so on. People say how Windows 8 is sucky, when it's not. And simply dont' buy it. Plus, the average user that are whiling to try and judge them-self, sees the learning curve, and are discouraged by having everyone telling them how sucky it is, and not try to pass through the learning curve.

All the computer illiterates that I have advice into computers love Windows 8, because they see me liking Windows 8, they see me, taking a few minutes of my time and explaining to them the changes, and the new features, helping reduce the learning curve, and understanding what Microsoft was going with the OS, and how it's actually not that different.. it's just a start menu... made full screen. And show them how the removal of the Start button makes perfect sense with the new layout. Every time I talk to them, they tell how Windows 8 is easy, and like you, don't get what people are hatting about.

It's a law. Every version of Windows' date=' including Windows 7, people bitch and moan like no tomorrow about new features. People wants change but they hate change. The hate on Windows 8 is the same as Windows 95... the learning curve. The advantage that Microsoft had with Win95, is that you didnt' have the internet. And computers were only used by people that like new technology inherently, and like and appreciate change, and are willing, with excitement, to learn something new. Now people changed. Experts, computer enthusiasts, included people on this very forum, no longer have this vision, mixed with a vocal online presence, and """tech journalists""" knowing nothing, write sensationalist style articles bashing Windows and Microsoft, as it attract clicks, instead of providing proper feedback, and as many of these journalist are Mac users, they are very bias against Microsoft. Like how sites markes down the Surface tablet because "you can't use it on your lap", and you see the reviewers sitting the most awkward position possible, and move they legs, purposely trying to drop the surface, and go "You see! you can't. Fail! lol! 3/10". We still have people use XP, because they think Windows 7 is still the worse OS ever, because the new task bar, and teh changes it carries from Vista, ignoring 100% of the upsides of both OS, and not even willing to really, seriously, try the new OS and see how better the new way is. They just look at pictures and guesses. People called Windows new task-bar identical in every way to MacOS. Well, it's completely different than MacOS The average consumer listens to these experts and people like us, as they are our parents, friends, and so on. People say how Windows 8 is sucky, when it's not. And simply dont' buy it. Plus, the average user that are whiling to try and judge them-self, sees the learning curve, and are discouraged by having everyone telling them how sucky it is, and not try to pass through the learning curve. All the computer illiterates that I have advice into computers love Windows 8, because they see me liking Windows 8, they see me, taking a few minutes of my time and explaining to them the changes, and the new features, helping reduce the learning curve, and understanding what Microsoft was going with the OS, and how it's actually not that different.. it's just a start menu... made full screen. And show them how the removal of the Start button makes perfect sense with the new layout. Every time I talk to them, they tell how Windows 8 is easy, and like you, don't get what people are hatting about. [/quote']

I love windows 8 for reasons that only I have got and I get that people are afraid of entering a new OS like when i built a hackintosh I didn't understand OSX and now I know it is a great OS "or kernal how ever you see it" but still if people took the time to try it they would see it isn't that bad, a lot of the reviews are from people who only use 7 and never tried 8 and just hate on it do to the start menu saying "Search isn't as good as explorer" but they don't realize that there is still explorer I mean really open up a file and use search threw that, but they don't see that.. So they are just hatting to hate.

The reason because US (not me specifically but tek people) is that Windows has always been THE principal media creation plataform and Windows8 tries to change that and make it a media consumption plataform, and some people is bad with that

I think most of it stems from the issues people have on Windows 8 that they never had in 7. Personally, a quarter of my games either are much slower in Windows 8 or just don't work outright, and the menu system in "modern UI" don't make sense to me using a mouse and keyboard. If it weren't for the gaming issue, I'd totally make the complete switch over to 8.

I think most of it stems from the issues people have on Windows 8 that they never had in 7. Personally' date=' a quarter of my games either are much slower in Windows 8 or just don't work outright, and the menu system in "modern UI" don't make sense to me using a mouse and keyboard. If it weren't for the gaming issue, I'd totally make the complete switch over to 8.[/quote']

Oh the contrary big time. Those who have XP, stays with XP, or hunt for Windows 7, as a no choice, as their system is too new for XP.

Vista users hunt for Windows 7, as they are not ready for Win8.

You game performance issue is most likely due to driver issue. You should poke your graphic cards manufacture for some proper drivers.

When Windows 7 was out, this was the same story, same for Vista, same for XP, etc... This is nothing new.

If you mean the Start Screen, it's because you don't know how to customize it. You can make groups, and pin anything you want.

Here is a very old screen shot when It put Windows 8 on my desktop (it's the same now, but a lot more games)

http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png

For Modern UI apps, the idea is that they can be widgets, but also, allows you to use the purchased apps from your tablet/laptop on your desktop. Basically, all purchases are account based, not per system. As for app deisgned used on desktop, this will take time. The best app so far I have found News Bento, check it out, it's an RSS reader, but really awesome. It's amazing too when you snap it on the side, and you have your desktop on the entire rest of the screen

I think Windows 8 has a poorer performance in gaming than in Windows 8 because of drivers not fully supporting Windows 8 and its basically putting a tablet on your computer which I don't really like.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I think Windows 8 has a poorer performance in gaming than in Windows 8 because of drivers not fully supporting Windows 8 and its basically putting a tablet on your computer which I don't really like.
Windows 8 has poorer performance in gaming than in Windows 8? :P

I have not had that problem.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

People have different opinions, but the majority of people are haters.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

I see a lot of gaming things here but a OS is the least likely of the probelm in that situation.. It's drivers, or non supported hardware, all my games run (Well the main 20 or so I play) they all launch other than ace of spades but that is because the 600 series cards are bugged for the game. I have actually seen about 10-15FPS boost since I switched to windows 8 on my gaming rig so I think it is just scared people or haters who don't like it, or linux fanboys from /g/ as sad as that is.